Anyone tried the HPR Black Ops rounds?

corneileous

Bought a couple boxes of it in the 105 grain 40 S&W caliber to try.
13e90c99cd9b2fe9e33a25a860811008.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just buy a standard JHP service round, like Link Removed or Link Removed. ShootingTheBull410 even mentions the Federal HST from SGAmmo in the video. I rather pay $0.50/round for proven service ammunition than $1.45/round for the latest marketing gimmick.

Just buy a standard JHP service round, like Link Removed or Link Removed. ShootingTheBull410 even mentions the Federal HST from SGAmmo in the video. I rather pay $0.50/round for proven service ammunition than $1.45/round for the latest marketing gimmick.

I bought a couple boxes of the 180 grain Federal HST Personal Denfense rounds along with the Black Ops and the HST's were about 2 or 3 dollars more a box.

You talkin about the Speers bein that cheap?

Maybe these are a marketing gimmick but, they may not be unless you try'em.

WTF? They BANNED you?

Have you tried them or just goin off the video?

I'm going off previous experience with frangible ammunition. What do you mean " Have I tried them"? I haven't shot anyone with them if that's what you mean. You're(very likely) still going to have to shoot an assailant more than once to stop them with these rounds. Get some good reputable JHPs and call it good

I'm going off previous experience with frangible ammunition.
I would like to assume the not all frangible ammunition is created equal.

What other frangible ammo have you tried? And no, I don't mean on people...lol.

What do you mean " Have I tried them"? I haven't shot anyone with them if that's what you mean.

I certainly did not mean that.

Let's try this again..... Have you ever range tested these or are you just going off the link up there?

You're(very likely) still going to have to shoot an assailant more than once to stop them with these rounds. Get some good reputable JHPs and call it good

I've read a few articles suggesting the same thing with just about any handgun round not being able to stop an assailant with just one. Well, under 45 that is.

I received some of the black ops as a gift. I had zero failures shooting them. I didn't have high expectations, but they did some pretty impressive damage to fruit. I wouldn't spend the money on them, but I trust them to work.

Sent from my SM-G935V using USA Carry mobile app

I received some of the black ops as a gift. I had zero failures shooting them. I didn't have high expectations, but they did some pretty impressive damage to fruit. I wouldn't spend the money on them, but I trust them to work.

That's good to hear. What caliber/gun did did you use these in? I've got good expectations out of these in my 40. I had high expectations out of them Libertys but since I had the FTE after about halfway through the one and only box I had, I won't buy any more. I realize it could have been a squib load but whatever the case was, can't be having trust issues with rounds that may or may not jam when you need them the most.

Let's try this again..... Have you ever range tested these or are you just going off the link up there?

I haven't range tested these rounds. I suppose I would if someone gave me a box but I'm not going to go out and buy a box just because they're "The next big thing."

There really haven't been any significant improvement in SD rounds in the last 15 years or so but every so often someone dusts off an old idea and repackages it as the "nuclear death ray" of handgun rounds and makes money off of it.

If they work for you, buy 'em.

I've read a few articles suggesting the same thing with just about any handgun round not being able to stop an assailant with just one.Well, under 45 that is.

A joke right?

I haven't range tested these rounds. I suppose I would if someone gave me a box but I'm not going to go out and buy a box just because they're "The next big thing."
Even though they've been out for a couple of years from what I just saw, I didn't buy them because of the possibility of being the next best thing if they even qualify to be that. I'm just lookin for a good round to carry is all. I primarily bought them for weight reduction for carrying but since this won't be what I carry on me, weight isn't really no longer an issue.

A joke right?

Sorry, forgot the period after 45.

That's good to hear. What caliber/gun did did you use these in? I've got good expectations out of these in my 40. I had high expectations out of them Libertys but since I had the FTE after about halfway through the one and only box I had, I won't buy any more. I realize it could have been a squib load but whatever the case was, can't be having trust issues with rounds that may or may not jam when you need them the most.

.45 acp
Fnx45t 5.5" barrel

I also shot a 1/4" piece of aluminum, where fmj would severely dent it, these rounds punched a perfect circle out. It was impressive given I had low expectations as its a frangible type.

Btw, handguns are terrible man stoppers, even the .45...maybe .50ae, .454 casull, 500sw, those extremely large rounds...otherwise use your handgun to get to your long gun.

.45 acp
Fnx45t 5.5" barrel

I also shot a 1/4" piece of aluminum, where fmj would severely dent it, these rounds punched a perfect circle out. It was impressive given I had low expectations as its a frangible type.
Wow.

That's similar to the results I had with those Libertys when I shot them at an old dinosaur laptop. Out of plain hornaday 180 grain JHP's, 155 grain plain Hornaday JHP's and 165 grain hornaday critical defense, the Libertys made the biggest hole. About the size of a nickel when the others varied between a dime and a penny.

Btw, handguns are terrible man stoppers, even the .45...maybe .50ae, .454 casull, 500sw, those extremely large rounds...otherwise use your handgun to get to your long gun.

So I've heard. Lol. That's why I went with a 40 and nothing smaller.

Long guns ain't all that impressive either

So I've heard. Lol. That's why I went with a 40 and nothing smaller.

Your training should take in to account that moment when you're forced to shoot and there's no discernible effect on the person you shot at

.45 acp
Fnx45t 5.5" barrel

I picked up so no-name frangible bullets from a gunshop in .40. They were 105 gr in weight but the same length as a 180 gr. I was curious as to how fast I could get them in my reloads because of the reduced weight. I saw some pretty impressive numbers on my chrony. Later I did some penetration tests on a 4x4 oak post I had left over from a fence project. 180gr FMJ's would make it about half way through. The bullets were all mangled when I dug them out. The frangibles however sailed right through like a hot knife through butter. Almost like you drilled a hole through it. So next I attached two 4x4's together. Was getting a little over 6 inches of penetration. Those bullets when recovered looked almost undamaged. So good in fact was their condition that they could be reloaded and fired again.

Doesn't that mean they didn't do what they were supposed to do?

I didn't know what they would do. I was rather impressed by their ability to penetrate so deeply and remain almost unscathed. I haven't loaded any more but tempted to see how fast they would launch from the 10mm.

Long guns ain't all that impressive either

compared to what? Long guns are much more effective than handguns.

Doesn't that mean they didn't do what they were supposed to do?

I believe these rounds were designed to penetrate hard barriers, but 'explode' when hitting tissue. Unlike frangible, otf still wants penetration.

compared to what? Long guns are much more effective than handguns.

But still not hugely effective. Now granted the Army uses ball ammunition but I've seen people take multiple rifle shots and continue to fight. That's why I stress multiple, on target hits so often.

I believe these rounds were designed to penetrate hard barriers, but 'explode' when hitting tissue. Unlike frangible, otf still wants penetration.

My understanding is the rounds Big Slick was talking about were reloads not the factory ammunition in the OP. I thought the whole point of Frangible ammunition was to reduce the chance of shooting through a wall

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back