Anyone flying quadcopters?

Warbirds

Anyone here flying DJI or other quadcopters? I am looking into building a DJI F450 and wonder if anyone else has experience with copters or Naza units.

I have this one.
Parrot Drone 2.
Link Removed

About the same size? Two foot by two foot? Shorter range, but two built in cameras. I'm not going to spend a lot on something I'm going to crash, but it's fun. I can actually keep it in the air for about 20 minutes now without crashing.

Link Removed
They just sold some new ones of these on Woot.com yesterday for $400. Minus the camera.

If any body flies a drone over my place, I will shoot it down and say I thought We were being attacked by UFOs. Great start for a insanity plea. Bada bada bada .

If any body flies a drone over my place, I will shoot it down and say I thought We were being attacked by UFOs. Great start for a insanity plea. Bada bada bada .

Big difference between these and the ones the government flies to kill people. If you're going to shoot one down, shoot down theirs.

I have this one.
Parrot Drone 2.
Link Removed

About the same size? Two foot by two foot? Shorter range, but two built in cameras. I'm not going to spend a lot on something I'm going to crash, but it's fun. I can actually keep it in the air for about 20 minutes now without crashing.

Link Removed
They just sold some new ones of these on Woot.com yesterday for $400. Minus the camera.

That's cool Peggy

I watched some videos of your parrot 2 last night and was pretty impressed. I still have more to watch to see more about the come home feature (?) and the emergency (?) button. How far is the range and what happens if you fly too far?

I ordered the dji F450 kit, it is about the same size as the phantom. I am doing it as a kit instead of a full package so I can add options as I go to spread out the cost. I am going to go with the basic gps setup to start and later add a camera and eventually fpv glasses or monitor. This unit if it loses contact with the radio it will ascend to 60 feet and return to where it took off from. It also goes into a stable hover if you take your hands off the controls. I'm hoping that will keep me from augering it into the ground.

Check this video out. It's pretty cool what they are developing.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/12/w...copter-recover-after-losing-a-prop-in-flight/

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

That's cool Peggy

I watched some videos of your parrot 2 last night and was pretty impressed. I still have more to watch to see more about the come home feature (?) and the emergency (?) button. How far is the range and what happens if you fly too far?

I ordered the dji F450 kit, it is about the same size as the phantom. I am doing it as a kit instead of a full package so I can add options as I go to spread out the cost. I am going to go with the basic gps setup to start and later add a camera and eventually fpv glasses or monitor. This unit if it loses contact with the radio it will ascend to 60 feet and return to where it took off from. It also goes into a stable hover if you take your hands off the controls. I'm hoping that will keep me from augering it into the ground.

Check this video out. It's pretty cool what they are developing.

Watch This Intelligent Quadcopter Recover After Losing A Prop In Flight | Gizmodo Australia

I haven't let mine get out of my sight or range, so I can't say for sure what would happen. But if it loses contact, or you take your hands off the controls, the very least it's supposed to do is to just hover where it's at. There's also the GPS that's supposed to send it back home if you tell it to, but I'd rather not have to find out too late that it doesn't work or sends it somewhere else. The emergency button shuts off the motors and it falls out of the sky, I guess. Rather not try that one either. If you just hit the land button, it sets down wherever it's at. Smoothly. I don't know if mine would recover if it lost a prop like the one in the video though. Another thing I'd rather not learn the hard way.
But all in all, it seems pretty similar to the one you ordered.

I like the cameras on it. One in the nose and one underneath. You can switch between them and record or take snapshots when you want to. Also mine uses either an ipad, iphone, Android phone, or several other Android tablets. So you can watch whatever the camera sees on your screen. I tried a few things before settling on a Barnes & Noble Nook tablet.

Now if the wind would go down. It doesn't do well if the wind is over 15 MPH and this IS Kansas.

Peggy,
How would I tell yours from theirs? Maybe if you paint PEGGY"S DRONE in big letters on it I will enter a cease-fire. Ha Ha!

Air space over my property is mine. Can anyone say target practice.

Sent from my DROID4 using USA Carry mobile app

I haven't let mine get out of my sight or range, so I can't say for sure what would happen. But if it loses contact, or you take your hands off the controls, the very least it's supposed to do is to just hover where it's at. There's also the GPS that's supposed to send it back home if you tell it to, but I'd rather not have to find out too late that it doesn't work or sends it somewhere else. The emergency button shuts off the motors and it falls out of the sky, I guess. Rather not try that one either. If you just hit the land button, it sets down wherever it's at. Smoothly. I don't know if mine would recover if it lost a prop like the one in the video though. Another thing I'd rather not learn the hard way.
But all in all, it seems pretty similar to the one you ordered.

I like the cameras on it. One in the nose and one underneath. You can switch between them and record or take snapshots when you want to. Also mine uses either an ipad, iphone, Android phone, or several other Android tablets. So you can watch whatever the camera sees on your screen. I tried a few things before settling on a Barnes & Noble Nook tablet.

Now if the wind would go down. It doesn't do well if the wind is over 15 MPH and this IS Kansas.

The cameras are cool. When I was at the hobby shop he let me try the goggles while another guy flew the phantom 2. The gimbal on the camera kept the image incredible stable even though he was rocking the quad violently from side to side.

I like on your parrot you can map waypoints for it to follow. That is an updated feature for the unit I am going with.

That video of the quad that survived losing a prop is just a software upgrade to the quads brain. I bet they could do the same with your parrot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Anyone here flying DJI or other quadcopters? I am looking into building a DJI F450 and wonder if anyone else has experience with copters or Naza units.
Only in RC flight sim. Saved me a bunch of bucks flying high-alpha, hovering, and 3-D maneuvers before I took my 1/4 scale Extra 300 to the field to wring-it-out. Have most fun flying smaller planes 3-D, doesn't cost as much when they turn into toothpicks, and have to dig an engine out of a crater, as the big ones require.

Really don't have much of a kick flying the quadrotors, even in a sim; RealFlight 5.

Peggy,
How would I tell yours from theirs? Maybe if you paint PEGGY"S DRONE in big letters on it I will enter a cease-fire. Ha Ha!

Mine doesn't have missiles on it. It's about 2 feet by 2 feet. I think theirs are the size of a small plane. Not sure, I've never seen one, but they look pretty big in pictures. And I know they have different size ones, some as small as a mosquito and others that look like dragonflies.

Plus I fly mine on my own property. I have plenty of room so I don't have to worry about crashing it in someone else's yard.

The cameras are cool. When I was at the hobby shop he let me try the goggles while another guy flew the phantom 2. The gimbal on the camera kept the image incredible stable even though he was rocking the quad violently from side to side.

I like on your parrot you can map waypoints for it to follow. That is an updated feature for the unit I am going with.

That video of the quad that survived losing a prop is just a software upgrade to the quads brain. I bet they could do the same with your parrot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I haven't tried out the waypoint mapping yet. I just got this in December and the days that have been nice enough to take it out have been few. Or I just haven't had the time.

About the only thing I'd have done differently is that I would have waited awhile to buy it. I could get a new one now for a lot less than what I paid for a refurb in December. You can get one just like mine for around $125 if you can catch them when they have a special on them.

It flies OK indoors, I just don't have the room in my house. The ideal indoor place would be like in a basketball court. Great weather, no wind, etc.

Have you seen the little tiny ones that run 40$ or so that are supposed to work great indoors? There is no way I will be able to fly mine indoors so I am thinking of getting one of those to play with while I am building my F450.

Have you seen the little tiny ones that run 40$ or so that are supposed to work great indoors? There is no way I will be able to fly mine indoors so I am thinking of getting one of those to play with while I am building my F450.

Ah, those are cute. I've never seen them. They'd be good to practice on and it wouldn't be too great a loss if they crashed and got totaled. I'll be the first to admit that I need the practice.

Ah, those are cute. I've never seen them. They'd be good to practice on and it wouldn't be too great a loss if they crashed and got totaled. I'll be the first to admit that I need the practice.

Cute? lol

It looks like there are a number in that price range. Looks like I will have to do some research before I pick up one of these cute quads. My airframe was delayed until Monday and it looks like my gyroscope/command unit is on backorder at most hobby shops. The little quad might be the only flying I do for awhile.

Cute? lol

It looks like there are a number in that price range. Looks like I will have to do some research before I pick up one of these cute quads. My airframe was delayed until Monday and it looks like my gyroscope/command unit is on backorder at most hobby shops. The little quad might be the only flying I do for awhile.

They might not be as tough as the bigger ones, but it looks like it'd work just the same. Probably if you get good at flying it, you'd have less crashes when you get your bigger one.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back