Anyone carry while pregnant and/or nursing?

momstar

My belt will soon not fit, so I need some other options. I think I can make the bellyband last a while longer, but probably not the whole time. Afterward, even when the belt fits again I can't prop baby on top of gun for nursing (normally carry appendix IWB). It's coming to summertime, so not the time to experiment with an ankle holster, plus I know there will be a few months when I can't bend that far. Purse carry will mostly work okay when I go out, but I don't want to drag my purse around the house with me, or worry about locking it when I leave the room (two other kids who I do trust but still, they're kids). How have others managed this?

Pocket Carry could be an option. But, I don't know any women that have had a problem carrying IWB while nursing or attending to their baby. I do know one or two that have carried a bug in the diaper bag though.

-

My belt will soon not fit, so I need some other options. I think I can make the bellyband last a while longer, but probably not the whole time. Afterward, even when the belt fits again I can't prop baby on top of gun for nursing (normally carry appendix IWB). It's coming to summertime, so not the time to experiment with an ankle holster, plus I know there will be a few months when I can't bend that far. Purse carry will mostly work okay when I go out, but I don't want to drag my purse around the house with me, or worry about locking it when I leave the room (two other kids who I do trust but still, they're kids). How have others managed this?

Have you considered a 5 o'clock position. Not the middle of the back, but off center? I personally have not encountered this particular situation (I'm male), but would think this would be an option.

Have you considered a 5 o'clock position. Not the middle of the back, but off center? I personally have not encountered this particular situation (I'm male), but would think this would be an option.

That's definitely an option afterward when the belt fits again, and I think I could probably get used to it, but there will be quite some time when nothing in the waist-area will really be feasible.

My wife carried in her purse while pregnant but then again that's where she always carries. I've tried to get her to carry on her person but she very rarely wears pants capable of supporting a holster. She loves her yoga pants.

That's definitely an option afterward when the belt fits again, and I think I could probably get used to it, but there will be quite some time when nothing in the waist-area will really be feasible.

I'm just brainstorming here since I'm really curious how you will satisfy this current predicament.

Most OWB and IWB do require a belt to loop through or clip on... also a thigh rig generally needs to hang from a belt for better support. Even shoulder holsters need a belt to keep them from flopping. Banning all these, and knowing you won't want to or can't bend over for an ankle holster, I have only two ideas.

1) a pocket holster (if your particular firearm will work for that)

2) Flashbang Bra Holster Link Removed

I personally have used a Kholster IWB holster while wearing pajama bottoms and it stayed put. This may be an option too. Kholster Holsters: Infinity Tuckable Holsters

Let us know what you finally end up with.

I'm just brainstorming here since I'm really curious how you will satisfy this current predicament.

Most OWB and IWB do require a belt to loop through or clip on... also a thigh rig generally needs to hang from a belt for better support. Even shoulder holsters need a belt to keep them from flopping. Banning all these, and knowing you won't want to or can't bend over for an ankle holster, I have only two ideas.

1) a pocket holster (if your particular firearm will work for that)

2) Flashbang Bra Holster Link Removed

I personally have used a Kholster IWB holster while wearing pajama bottoms and it stayed put. This may be an option too. Kholster Holsters: Infinity Tuckable Holsters

Let us know what you finally end up with.

I didn't know a thigh or shoulder holster also needs a belt, so I'm glad you pointed that out!

The Kholster looks a lot like my current fave qwikclip - you can wear it without a belt?

Women's pants have tiny pockets, so I don't think pocket carry will work, even for the LC9. Some of my pants don't even have back pockets, they have nothing at all or a strip sewn on to look like a pocket.

Right now this blog post has me leaning toward trying a remora holster, between elastic-waistband and skin. That way I can keep pretty much the same area, not have to learn a whole new draw strategy, and/or use it in a pocket when I have pants that will manage that. Then after baby comes, go back to IWB but at 4:00 or 5:00 instead of 2:00.

My wife carried in her purse while pregnant but then again that's where she always carries. I've tried to get her to carry on her person but she very rarely wears pants capable of supporting a holster. She loves her yoga pants.

I'm a huge fan of yoga pants too (bought my first pair of maternity ones yesterday!), and usually go with a pistolwear PT-1 inside. You just have to position it carefully (not too close to center) so it doesn't look like you've got "parts" that shouldn't be there. ;)

Not all women's pants have unusable pockets. There's some great stuff out there today. Find out where LEO in your area shop. My wife has bought some great pants & shorts that women leos & women cc'ers use. Some of them have a built-in holster pocket in the wb that an LC9 would easily fit in.

A quick Google search for CC or LEO clothing should bring up some good results. Women have a wide choice in cc clothing today. You can find office attire, casual clothes & sexy out on the town stuff today. You just need to get your mindset right; so you understand women's department stores at the mall may "NOT" be the best places for a woman to shop for CC clothing.

-

The Kholster looks a lot like my current fave qwikclip - you can wear it without a belt?

Yes, I have worn a Kholster with a draw string pair of pajama pants before. It never moved or shifted. The area of leather actually supports the barrel end of the firearm well, and the top of your pants supports the mid part of the firearm. This leaves the grip to stick out. You can adjust the height and the cant of where the firearm sits to make it comfortable for where you will wear it.

Momstar,

I am not experienced with "being" pregnant (i'm a dude) but I am a father of 3, so I am familiar with the process. :rolleyes:
-
Since you have 2 already I'm guessing the gun is a more recent addition than the youngest kid. One option might just be a larger belly band, with that stretchy Velcro to allow for expansion. You're also already used to wearing one, so it would just be a question of positioning, angle of draw, and more people will want to touch your belly now.
-
If the gun is small enough a wallet type pocket holster for the back pocket might be an option, but you're gonna be uncomfortable enough just by being preggo in the summer.
-
A shoulder holster might be another consideration. As the trimesters added up, my wife tended to wear an unbuttoned lightweight shirt over whatever t-shirt she was wearing even during the summer pregnancy. I think it was a modesty thing, but like I said I'm a guy so i'm just guessing.
-
Hope this helps, and Congratulations!

Momstar,

I just purchased a Remora IWB holster and I think it might be what you are looking for. I was skeptical at first of a "sticky" holster with no clip, but have been impressed with its comfort and reliability.
Link Removed
The cool thing is that you can position it anywhere that happens to be comfortable and at whatever angle you choose. I have even worn it around the house with gym shorts that just have a drawstring and had no "slippage". Of their options that can be added to the basic holster I recommend the sweat shield.
Link RemovedLink Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back