Anyone carry a single action revolver?

TrapperBob

Just a curiosity question, anyone carry a single action revolver as a carry gun? I sometimes carry one as a woods gun where my primary concern is 4-legged creatures, but not as a normal carry gun.

I haven't even owned a SAA in probably 30 years, but I did carry that one regularly when I was renting a cabin on 50 acres that backed up to over 100,000 acres of a Weyerhaeuser tree farm in WA State. I worked in town though, and CC'ed a DA/SA revolver there.

So I don't carry a SAA now, but I know someone who does. Link Removed

Blues

I carry a NAA .22 mag on more occasions then I like. It is the only one I can carry in the circumstances.

When I'm at home, I always have my NAA Pug in my pocket, and it goes along on dog walks, etc. If I'm leaving home, it stays behind and a PM9 takes its place.

Nope.

I own better than a half a dozen of the things and I've been shooting CAS with them for about 15 years now, so I have no problem with running one. I just figure there are better options in the safe than a really big 5 shot wheelgun (I don't own any Ruger single actions- they don't fit my hand as well as Colts or their clones- so I carry a single action with the hammer down on an empty chamber) that I can't reload with a speed loader. I can reload one pretty quickly but it still comes down to shucking the empties one at a time and reloading it one at a time.

That being said, I wouldn't feel under armed if that was all I had and a situation arose where I needed to use a gun. It might only hold 5 shots but a large bore single action revolver (all of mine are .44's or .45's except for a Colt New Frontier .22) can get the job done- within the limitations of capacity.

I have at times open carried a USFA SAA, 7.5" bbl in a traditional western rig (not a buscalero) while in boots and Stetson when driving around New Mexico. I'm not sure I would choose to do it in downtown Albuquerque or anywhere that I could not see somebody from a distance before they would be up close. Of course I had better hardware in the vehicle with me at the time.

I haven't even owned a SAA in probably 30 years, but I did carry that one regularly when I was renting a cabin on 50 acres that backed up to over 100,000 acres of a Weyerhaeuser tree farm in WA State. I worked in town though, and CC'ed a DA/SA revolver there.

So I don't carry a SAA now, but I know someone who does. Link Removed

Blues

Yup, still carry my SAA Vaquero. Carry load is 6 rnds of .44 SPL 240gr. SJHP...SWEEEET.

Link RemovedLink Removed

~ FIGHT CRIME - SHOOT BACK ~

Hey Ringo!
I was wondering if you might post on this thread too.
To add a little more on this subject - I am currently working on a project to meld a Cimarron Arms Thunderer grip frame to a 41 Mag Ruger Blackhawk. I have a Thunderer in 45 Colt and like how the higher profile handles muzzle flip. The Thunderer is like a birdshead which comes to a vertical surface on the backstrap at the top. If this combination helps to keep the sights closer to the target on recoil I might just carry this from time to time.

Hey Ringo!
I was wondering if you might post on this thread too.
To add a little more on this subject - I am currently working on a project to meld a Cimarron Arms Thunderer grip frame to a 41 Mag Ruger Blackhawk. I have a Thunderer in 45 Colt and like how the higher profile handles muzzle flip. The Thunderer is like a birdshead which comes to a vertical surface on the backstrap at the top. If this combination helps to keep the sights closer to the target on recoil I might just carry this from time to time.
My Vaquero is a .44 magnum that originally had a 7 & 1/2 inch barrel. I had the barrel cut down to 4 & 5/8, re-crowned, and added Blackhawk front sight shaved to point of aim. I love the balance of this gun, and the original grips now on the gun. Shooting .44 Spl is a piece of cake, muzzle flip and all. When & IF shooting Magnums, I would definitely change over again to the combat grips for control of recoil and muzzle flip. I like your "birdshead" idea, should work and "feel good" in your hand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back