Any one still use speed loaders for wheel guns?

I use speedloaders. I prefer the Safariland version myself, the HK's have occasionally released when accidentally dropped. Oh yeah, I know your not supposed to drop them!

Bob, I had never seen that technique in the Ayoob clip. Thank you. I was taught the FBI style from back in the day. I'll have to spend some time trying that "newer technique.

I also find that some individual speed loaders, even from the same manufacturer, work well in a particular firearm, and others have trouble releasing the cartridges into the cylinder, or they are a hassle loading rounds into the speed loader. Anybody else find this to be the case? If so, any easy solutions other than just ditching a "defective" and going with the reliable ones? To be sure it wasn't my technique, I marked the couple I was having trouble with, and it was always those two giving me fits. Kind of like some magazines in a semi-auto have trouble loading or feeding I suspect.

I have found that the Massad Ayoob "stress fire" reload is very efficient and allows me to better control the weapon. Massad performs his entire reload in about 4-5 seconds and I have done the same when everything flows right. That will lead into the second part of your post and yes, I have found that some speed loaders seem to "hang up" on occasion. Though, to be fair... it is possible to get a less than ideal reload if even one thing of the process isn't like it should be. Your technique will play a large roll in that and like Massad says, the revolver must be pointed directly at the ground to get the best drop from the loaders. I have found that if the weapon is canted either way it will negatively effect the reload and cost me a second or two...

Eye candy. This is a stock photo because I don't have one, but it is an identical S&W 686+ :

Link Removed

My GP100 with Maple grips:

Link Removed

Link Removed

YES!!!

Every swing out revolver I own has at least 3 speedloaders dedicated to it. If I happen to have multiple guns that share a common speedloader, that's purely a coincidence and it means I have more I can use at any one time. The wheelgun that I own that has the most speedloaders for it is one of my primary carry guns. I have 15 for it and some of them are in the truck, on the night stand, in the range bag, etc.... The Smith and Wesson .45 Colt that serves as my woods gun has 4 speedloaders dedicated to it (2 for the double speed loader pouch on the belt and the other 2 in my coat pockets) but it will also work with the 6 shot .44 mag speed loaders I have in a pinch, too.

Rookie here, I am still trying to become proficient at using a speedloader.
Been wondering about the "speed strips" as someone here called them,
but I haven't seen any at my local gun stores.
Anyone want to say where to find them?

Also, have had some problem with brass cased ammo not ejecting.
(picking it out one shell at a time sure slows down a reload)
Am wondering if I haven't been getting the bores in the cylinder clean enough,
or did I rub too much of the bluing off?

I have lots of Speed Loaders. I shoot revolvers in competition, so I have speed loaders for my SSR/Classic revolvers. I also conceal carry revolvers, and I carry speed loaders for my concealed carry revolvers.

2roj19v.jpg

This picture is of an SP101 in a Rocky Hill Leather Pancake. Infront of the holster is an F Model Jet Loader for the SP101 / J Frame S&W in a Big Creek Kydex Speed Loader Carrier.

When I conceal carry my Model 15 Combat Masterpiece Snub, 315 Night Guard, Model 10 Snub, or my 3 Inch Model 66 I have the exact same concealed carry set up using the K Model Jet Loaders.

When I go to my Willy Clapp 3 Inch GP100 I can carry either L Frame Jet Loaders or the Safariland Comp III's.

I have examples of almost all current HKS , Safariland, as well as Jet Loaders. I make Kydex Speed Loader Carriers, and I keep examples of most that I could have an order for.

Bob The Revolver Guy

Rookie here, I am still trying to become proficient at using a speedloader.
Been wondering about the "speed strips" as someone here called them,
but I haven't seen any at my local gun stores.
Anyone want to say where to find them?

Also, have had some problem with brass cased ammo not ejecting.
(picking it out one shell at a time sure slows down a reload)
Am wondering if I haven't been getting the bores in the cylinder clean enough,
or did I rub too much of the bluing off?

Well, first of all... keep practicing and don't get discouraged by the revolver process. To the speed strips, I got all of mine at one of my local gun shops but I'm sure you could go to any of the big online stores and find them. With the brass ejection issue, what brand and load are you getting the issue with? Is it all brass cased ammo? Do the rounds drop easily into the cylinders before you shoot them? It may be the ammo... they may be high pressured enough to expand the cases to the point of tightly filling the cylinder. If that's the case, switch ammo or be sure you give that ejector rod a good, hard smack with the meat of your palm! Don't be scared of hurting the rod, as long as you hit it straight-on (w/ a proper ejection technique) you won't bend it. If it's every brand/load you use... you may not be cleaning the cylinders enough. Do you spray it down with solvent and use the bore brush thoroughly? If all of the above things don't solve the issue... take it to a good gunsmith and have him ream the cylinders a wee bit (just a tiny bit! Like .001" at a time) and then test it for proper function, etc. Continue or don't depending on if you get the desired results...

The source for Speed Strips? That would be Tuff Products. They carry them for about everything you can use a speed strip to reload. They also come in colors. Personally I like Orange, you can find them on the ground after a tactical reload at the Range.
Bob The Revolver Guy

Well, first of all... With the brass ejection issue, what brand and load are you getting the issue with? Is it all brass cased ammo? Do the rounds drop easily into the cylinders before you shoot them? It may be the ammo... they may be high pressured enough to expand the cases to the point of tightly filling the cylinder.
The ammo is brass cased and a pretty mild load, so I don't think that is it.

... you may not be cleaning the cylinders enough. Do you spray it down with solvent and use the bore brush thoroughly? If all of the above things don't solve the issue... take it to a good gunsmith and have him ream the cylinders a wee bit (just a tiny bit! Like .001" at a time) and ...
This is what I thought might be a problem. I just wanted to make sure getting aggressive with the cleaning was the right thing to do, and wouldn't make the situation worse.

In Illinois, I am starting to see a lot of revolvers used by students applying for their concealed carry. They did not go away, and while looking at cost, they run neck to neck with most semi-autos. I love the Safari-land Comp II speedloaders for 38/357 6 shot S&W or Taurus/Rossi models, and suggest at least two of them if a student is going to conceal carry (same as how many mags needed for a semi-auto).

I've researched and written a little on the subject on my personal blog
here: Link Removed
and one thing I learned along the way is revolvers may be more expensive at first,
but the cost of ammo required to make sure it will feed properly every time makes
up for the difference in price. I usually put $20 to $40 worth of ammo through every
new magazine, just to make sure it has no issues. That adds up.

Hey Ron,
I just bought my wife two speed loaders on Amazon & they work very well! A little difficult for her as she has a spinal disease which has taken some of her feeling in her digits, but all in all, they work very well! Thanks for posting!
Yours in FREEDOM...
P3

The ammo is brass cased and a pretty mild load, so I don't think that is it.

This is what I thought might be a problem. I just wanted to make sure getting aggressive with the cleaning was the right thing to do, and wouldn't make the situation worse.

Absolutely not, clean away!!!!!

First, I love revolvers, and carry a Ruger KLCR .357mag daily. Also, carry along two 5-Star Speedloaders in a dual pouch holder. In more "formal" settings, I have a snap on belt SpeedStrip holder (use Bianchi speedstrips), which is much more discreet. I practice almost daily with reloading with both. Hopefully, for me anyway, if ever an encounter occurs, it (or I) will not be "static"-assuming most aren't- and if a reload is needed I will be moving away for cover and when settled be ready for the reload-in other words, it won't look like the shoot out at the OK Corral. I also own a Kahr CM9 which I like also, and find that after much, continued practice can reload my Ruger as fast, or very close to, as exchanging mags in my Kahr. The key word is "practice" in each scenario you can imagine. Have fun and be safe.

After today's FTF with my Kahr CM9 (first in over 400rds-scared me) while practicing some combative drills, also with my Ruger KLCR .357mag, no problems, I have decided that for my personal satisfaction and my family's protection, I will carry my Ruger Revolver for SD only from now on. I really like my semi-auto, however "reliability" being my major concern in defensive carry, a revolver is the only way to go for me. Actually, I shoot it better and more accurately anyway (installed XS Big Dot), and love the buttery smooth trigger. I have practiced enough with 5-Star Speedloaders and Bianchi SS, to reload as fast as I can my Kahr, that I really don't feel under gunned. Also, I carry CorBon DPX 110gr .357mag loads, IMO far superior to any 9mm load available. Just venting here, but just giving an opinion and personal observation. Be safe.

After today's FTF with my Kahr CM9 (first in over 400rds-scared me) while practicing some combative drills, also with my Ruger KLCR .357mag, no problems, I have decided that for my personal satisfaction and my family's protection, I will carry my Ruger Revolver for SD only from now on. I really like my semi-auto, however "reliability" being my major concern in defensive carry, a revolver is the only way to go for me. Actually, I shoot it better and more accurately anyway (installed XS Big Dot), and love the buttery smooth trigger. I have practiced enough with 5-Star Speedloaders and Bianchi SS, to reload as fast as I can my Kahr, that I really don't feel under gunned. Also, I carry CorBon DPX 110gr .357mag loads, IMO far superior to any 9mm load available. Just venting here, but just giving an opinion and personal observation. Be safe.

The sentence in bold is THE defining factor when choosing a SD weapon! If you're comfortable with it, accurate with it and proficient with it... THAT'S THE GUN YOU CARRY! Toss all that other bvllsh!t about superior weapons out the friggin' window.

I started using 5 Star loaders a few months ago, and decided that I love them. They are definitely expensive (about twice the price of HKSs), but they are solid aluminum and much more sturdy than the other, plastic loaders I've tried. The other difference is that they release with a counter clockwise turn vs. a clockwise turn. That was a change, but I found it was actually more natural for me. Like everyone has said before, it all comes down to practice, but once you get it down, speed loaders are a wonderful thing.
Quick note on speed strips, I have a few, and I got myself proficient with them as there are occasions where their lack of bulk can be preferable, but I personally just don't care all that much for them. They do the job, and they are certainly better than nothing, but give me my speed loaders when I have a choice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back