Any NC residents with non resident CWP?

Zachm

Hello guys, I am new to this site. I am Zach and a member of id.glock other than this. Heres my deal, I have just been diagnosed with an intestinal disease and I stay sick constantly(Ill spare you the gross details). Being as it usually takes 6 months to a year to get "normal" with this, I really am looking into non resident CWP. I have been around guns all my life, know the laws and constantly look them up to see if they've changed, and put at least 100 rounds of ammo down range a month(wish I could do about 10x that but I have other things). Whats the best bet? I really wanted the Utah but I was told that I need an NC CWP to get that one :wacko: So, AZ or VA? Or maybe a better one Idk about. Thanks for all the help!

Are you saying that you don't have a permit for your home state (NC?) but want to get one from another state?
Are you trying to do an end-around because you cant get a NC CWP?
Don't know what being sick has to do with getting a permit. Most ( maybe all) states wont issue a non-resident permit unless you have one in the state in which you reside.

You haven't indicated your motivations for a non-resident permit. Why don't you get a NC permit, it's fairly easy to get as far as permits go. Perhaps not quite the cakewalk a Virginia resident permit is, but not bad.

I believe you are wrong about UTAH. UTAH doesn't require a home-state permit. It does require a UTAH-specific training course. They will not accept the generic NRA one.
Arizona is about the same scope but they will take the NRA or hunting license course.

Virginia requires only an minimal course (for $20 you can complete this online. In fact, if you have a hunting license already, you probably meet the requirement).

Anyhow, all three states will require you to leave the house to get the fingerprint card done (and potentially to run down to the UPS store or whatever to get the photos taken).

Are you saying that you don't have a permit for your home state (NC?) but want to get one from another state?
Are you trying to do an end-around because you cant get a NC CWP?
Don't know what being sick has to do with getting a permit. Most ( maybe all) states wont issue a non-resident permit unless you have one in the state in which you reside.

I can get one, due to a disease of mine I constantly go back and forth to the bathroom. I cant sit in an 8 hour NC class because I would spend 4 of which on the toilet. No bad motives. I can legally get one in NC.

I can get one, due to a disease of mine I constantly go back and forth to the bathroom. I cant sit in an 8 hour NC class because I would spend 4 of which on the toilet. No bad motives. I can legally get one in NC.

It sounds like your disease renders you virtually house-bound then. I have a similar condition, but it's only triggered immediately after I eat, so as long as I'm careful about when and what I eat, I can steer clear of away-from-home emergency bathroom visits.

But anyway, if you can only leave the house for an hour at a time, doesn't that cramp your style for leaving the house no matter what you're leaving to do? And if the spread between bathroom visits is even shorter than that one hour on, one hour off the pot ratio, how can you really go anywhere? The reason I'm asking isn't so that you'll give us all the gory details. I'm just wondering why you need a permission slip at all if you're basically house-bound. I mean, you can carry concealed or open in your own home, can't you?

It sounds like your disease renders you virtually house-bound then. I have a similar condition, but it's only triggered immediately after I eat, so as long as I'm careful about when and what I eat, I can steer clear of away-from-home emergency bathroom visits.

But anyway, if you can only leave the house for an hour at a time, doesn't that cramp your style for leaving the house no matter what you're leaving to do? And if the spread between bathroom visits is even shorter than that one hour on, one hour off the pot ratio, how can you really go anywhere? The reason I'm asking isn't so that you'll give us all the gory details. I'm just wondering why you need a permission slip at all if you're basically house-bound. I mean, you can carry concealed or open in your own home, can't you?
I understand all of the questioning because yall don't know me. I still have a life. I have a job, college(though I know not to bring it to college, not an idiot, and if I do NC has a newer law that it has to remain in the car), but that's my thing. I still go out, some days are better than others. I have some days I only go to the bathroom three or four times. I don't like the idea of just open carry because I am recently 21 and I still look like a teenager and when I have opened carried I always get that "this guy is just trying to start trouble look". So, I get out, granted, its not for intervals that long. Usually 6 or so hours and that's about my max. When my flare ups hit me I am done for. I usually don't try to use public restrooms because of this reason(being as I will be on the toilet for an hour or more in horrible pain and that's no joke, stores might think their businesses bathrooms are haunted by a moaning ghost). After I posted this though, I did find some classes that say they can break up class time into a couple 4 hour courses which I can do.

You should talk to a local training outfit or two. The eight hours doesn't need to be all in a row and getting up (even while the class is in progress) is likely to be something they can accommodate.

If you can't stand a NC class you're not going to get a AZ or UT license. While the classes may be a little shorter, I can't see getting it done in shorter than four hours or so.

Your best be in that situation is Virginia which you can do online (and frankly it didn't even take me 30 minutes....).

Thanks for clearing that up. No offense intended.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Swear, I didn't mean to sound like a smart ass or some guy who is looking for an easy way out. It seems like the best fit to just suck it up and try for a multi session NC one since it has superb reciprocity and Utah isn't in the picture anymore. Know of any good places that are cheaper to take the NC one, please tell me. Thanks!

Yep, the reason I decided to forgo getting a Utah (or AZ) permit, is that when I move to NC next year, it will be good everywhere those states are valid. Until then, my VA permit has fairly reasonable reciprocity (especially since most of my time is spent between NC and VA anyhow).

Have not seen anyone address this part of your question, but North Carolina does not honor any "non-resident" concealed weapons permits, since they honor the permits from ALL of the other states. You can apply for permits from other states, but when you show the permit and your NC driver's license, it is then considered a "non-resident" permit.

I asked a sheriffs department a while back and they said that NC honors non residents. You sure you don't mean SC?
Have not seen anyone address this part of your question, but North Carolina does not honor any "non-resident" concealed weapons permits, since they honor the permits from ALL of the other states. You can apply for permits from other states, but when you show the permit and your NC driver's license, it is then considered a "non-resident" permit.

I asked a sheriffs department a while back and they said that NC honors non residents. You sure you don't mean SC?

NC recognizes all permits issued by all other states. Here's the actual wording from the Department of Justice website:

"Effective December 1, 2011, North Carolina automatically recognizes concealed carry permits issued in any other state."
(Link Removed)

There's nothing in law that would prohibit NC residents from using a non-resident permit from another state. In fact this issue was brought up a few years ago (maybe 2 or 3? I read about the discussion in the paper) and a NC legislator was proposing that NC residents couldn't use other state's non-resident permits (specifically Virginia's), but this didn't even make it to an official bill proposal. The feeling among legislators then was that NC's system is nice and plain and easy to understand: NC accepts all permits issued by every other state. There's actually a related issue that gets discussed (not officially as far as I know) as to whether NC would recognize permits issued by the District of Columbia (if they ever actually issue any) since DC isn't a "state". And permits issued by the City of New York in theory aren't recognized either (again, not a 'state', although they think they are their own country!), but there have been no test cases in either case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back