Any Advice for a woman?

Any advice for a woman who lives in the state of iowa, im looking for the best way to get a licence to carry a gun, but at the same time want to learn as much as I can about shooting, parts of a gun, proper care, all the basics. My husband is gone a lot but has taught me a lot about saftey with guns. im looking into it for safety of myself and my children when he is gone, and we travel alot also, any advice for which would be the best class to take in Iowa, where I will actualy learn something?

Depending on how familiar you are with guns a revolver is a great way to start. Very easy to use and maintain and you don't have the hassle of racking the slide which a lot of woman have issues with.

I am teaching a class that addresses all that and more beginning in January. Do you think you could move to Tucson by then? ;-) But seriously, I am encouraged to see another woman taking an interest in guns and more than just how to shoot a revolver. Racking a round is the coolest sound in the world. Don't be afraid of semi-automatics. I have mastered several.

You should also post this in the IA state forum here, and/or opencarry.org. NRA also has a program called "Women on Target" (at least here in WA) Welcome to the forum, but just make sure you have some thick skin. Some people are very opinionated, and if you don't agree it can get nasty. That said, you can learn a lot on these forums from some very knowledgeable people. Carry on!

Just to reiterate, take a basic CCW course and then another, slightly more advanced class as soon after the basic as you can. I'm right across the river from you in Omaha and there are a number of great courses all around here!

I would suggest finding a good instructor if you feel you've reached the extent of your husband's training ability. A Google search of certified instructors in Iowa may help. There is much more to learn than can be covered in 4 or 8 hours to be sure.

Raquel,
First off let me say how Great it is that you have made the choice to Carry, and protect yourself.

There are Several Internet sites that have a vast Knowledge base for you to research.
Another place to start is an Local gun shop,Usaully they have Instructors availible.

Also, you can contact an Local Gun Club,or Range. Most of the time, they also have training Classes,Range training. You can also Contact the NRA.The NRA had Instructors Registeted in your area that you can Contact.

If this is your First time beginning to shoot,I would look,or Invest in an nice Revolver to begin with. It's very Important that whatever weapon you decide to purchase, that it fits your hand like an glove.

Caliber is not Important for your first time. Shot Placement is the best. As you progress in shooting, you can always move up to an larger Caliber.

My Wife Started out with an .22 Caliber then as she became more Confident in herself, She moved up to, and Settled into an .357 Mag by Charter Arms

Learning the basic Fundamentals of proper handling, and shooting. Until Finally she began to shoot better than myself.

I offered my advice, and help to her every step of the way. But in the end she completed all of her training, and Knowledge on her own.

I hope my Information helps you. Again It's nice to hear that you made the first steps on your own. If I can offer one piece of solid Information to you.

It would be, Dont rush yourself, relax become Comfortable with your weapon.
Dry firing in front of a mirror believe it, or not will help you 100% good luck to you.

Learning to Carry,Shoot,Clean, your weapon is the best way to become Comfortable with yourself, and your Weapon.

I cant say about Iowa?, but sounds like your on the right tract?, Learn as much as possible about the firearm you chose to carry, operation, cleaning, ect. ect., One good way to get proficiency with your firearm is?, practice practice practice, One bit of advice I'll offer?, when practicing drawing your firearm, IMO?, should be done unloaded, at least until your more fimiliar with the firearm, Good luck, stay safe

Any advice for a woman who lives in the state of iowa, im looking for the best way to get a licence to carry a gun, but at the same time want to learn as much as I can about shooting, parts of a gun, proper care, all the basics. My husband is gone a lot but has taught me a lot about saftey with guns. im looking into it for safety of myself and my children when he is gone, and we travel alot also, any advice for which would be the best class to take in Iowa, where I will actualy learn something?

Not sure if you are still around or not, but I will furnish a link to a site operated by a woman for women thinking about carrying. She has some excellent info and every woman (and most men) I have directed to the site have really appreciated it.

Cornered Cat

If your husband is not able to teach you the basics of firearms care and operation, you need to start at the beginning. A CCW course is not likely to give you the basic training in handling a firearm.
My older Son has been discussing the possibility of his wife getting her CCW license not so much to carry a concealed weapon herself but to meet the unique legalities of the Iowa law. I won't go into those specific legal issues but they are onerous in regard to accessibilty of a loaded firearm inside a vehicle.

Any advice for a woman...

Yes. Do everything your husband ask you to do...lol...sorry, couldnt resist.

I applaud your efforts in wanting to learn about self defense with a weapon. Your questions were exactly spot on. I wish all folks new to this topic were as diligent as you are. Thank you.

Raquel,
The first thing that I would do, if I were you, is to change my user name to something that is obscure. If your real name is really Raquel Rumbaugh Gerhart and you live in Iowa, then that is enough information for a bad guy to find where you live. You've already said that your husband is gone a lot and that you have children at home. Please hide your identity; we don't need to know your real name. Take care of yourself and your children.

Armed & Female: Taking Control by Paxton Quigley
Armed and Female: Twelve Million American Women Own Guns, Should You?
Stayin' Alive: Armed and Female in an Unsafe World by Paxton Quigley
Personal Defense for Women: Practical Advice for Self Protection by Gila Hayes and Massad Ayoob
Not an Easy Target: Paxton Quigley's Self-Protection for Women by Paxton Quigley
Armed and Dangerous: Memoirs of a Chicago Policewoman (Illinois) by Gina Gallo
Lessons from Armed America by Kathy Jackson and Mark Walters
Link Removed

Lots of useful info.
CCWing is more difficult for women than men because most men don't see other men, really. They just blend into the background. On the other hand, men are acutely aware of women and their attire. Also, being smaller physically, and proportioned with higher waists than men. This causes the butt of firearms worn on the waist to dig into the lower ribs. There are very few makers of gun belts and holsters contoured for the female form.
If you want to carry a gun, spend the money to get a quality gun belt and holster. If you need your gun, you need for it to be where you expect it to be. Also, if the holster does not fit properly, you will be fooling around, adjusting it all day long, you might as well hang a sign around your neck saying,"I'VE GOT A GUN." Lastly, avoid the temptation to carry off-body, such as a purse. You need to be in total control of your firearm at all times, especially with children about.
You have already received good advice regarding keeping your name and address private.
Welcome to the community of people who protect themselves and their loved ones rather than abdicate their responsibility to the government.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back