Anti-gun hysteria continues in Australia

DW98

For the past few weeks, all police agencies in the country have been running a 'blitz' on illegal firearms, as well as increasing safe storage checks on firearms owners, because criminals might break in and steal them :rolleyes:

Earlier this week, a (sadly) popular radio station had an interview with a high-ranking police officer about illegal guns in the community.

Feel free to give it a dislike and leave a comment.

"I think its some sort of automatic, I don't think its a machine gun, but, its definitely a 'high-powered' weapon, err, I'm not an expert on guns..." Says the police officer with decades of experience.

"This was ceased from a well know criminal, who's been involved in violent crime for a number of years, including shooting incidents with police, just one of the weapons found in his possession." I bet he was a licensed LAFO, right?

"It scares the bejibers out of me, if this was in the hands of an ice addict, are those the sorts of criminals more involved in guns now adays than before?" "That's no rifle (Yes, it is.), or anything like that! That's the sort of thing you see in war!"

"And, in fact, didn't the president of the United States mention Australia, had we managed, after the massacres in Tasmania, how me managed to, you know, get rid of them in most cases."

"When I was a boy we had guns everywhere at our place, none of them were stored - they were in the shed, they were everywhere. The thought of having a gun in my house today, would never enter my consciousness, I could never have, could not imagine having a gun in any house I'm living in today."

"Yes, I agree, I handed mine back many years ago when I had one, I was a registered, licensed owner, I, I, just don't think we need em. No...Exactly..."

"If you recall last year at the Rock Machine (biker gang) club(house), they had over 70 shots fired from a number of weapons, including some high-powered weapons. You know, that's a real concern, because someone could get innocently killed."

Pushing the 'guns are bad' message hard.

And one of many recent videos about seizing illegal firearms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cXrbCPCw8U

Last edited:
It seems like these squealing "little girls" make the point that if you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns. Hysteria does remarkable things to common sense!

Ah, but all is not hunky dory in the land of Oz:

April 13, 2009

It is a common fantasy that gun bans make society safer. In 2002 -- five years after enacting its gun ban -- the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime. In fact, the percent of murders committed with a firearm was the highest it had ever been in 2006 (16.3 percent), says the D.C. Examiner.

Even Australia's Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research acknowledges that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:

In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.
Moreover, Australia and the United States -- where no gun-ban exists -- both experienced similar decreases in murder rates:

Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America's rate dropped 31.7 percent.
During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.
Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women.
While this doesn't prove that more guns would impact crime rates, it does prove that gun control is a flawed policy. Furthermore, this highlights the most important point: gun banners promote failed policy regardless of the consequences to the people who must live with them, says the Examiner.

Link Removed

More here:

Australia experiencing more violent crime despite gun ban

Excerpt;
In 2002–five years after enacting its gun ban–the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime: “The percentage of homicides committed with a firearm continued its declining trend since 1969.”

Ah, but all is not hunky dory in the land of Oz:

April 13, 2009

It is a common fantasy that gun bans make society safer. In 2002 -- five years after enacting its gun ban -- the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime. In fact, the percent of murders committed with a firearm was the highest it had ever been in 2006 (16.3 percent), says the D.C. Examiner.

Even Australia's Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research acknowledges that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:

In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
Moreover, Australia and the United States -- where no gun-ban exists -- both experienced similar decreases in murder rates:

Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America's rate dropped 31.7 percent.
During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.
Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women.
While this doesn't prove that more guns would impact crime rates, it does prove that gun control is a flawed policy. Furthermore, this highlights the most important point: gun banners promote failed policy regardless of the consequences to the people who must live with them, says the Examiner.

Link Removed

More here:

Australia experiencing more violent crime despite gun ban

Excerpt;
In 2002–five years after enacting its gun ban–the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime: “The percentage of homicides committed with a firearm continued its declining trend since 1969.”

I'd love to see them respond to that.

And I always thought of Australia as one of those bastions of individuality and freedom. You reap what you sow and they are and will continue to reap violence by criminals who have it easy against defenseless citizens. When the day comes that they end up with their own government nightmare that we have in DC, they will really reap the consequences, as others under the likes of Hitler, Stalin, Mao etal found out.

real story??

That's just it, never happen

I guess I am confused - they took ALL the guns in Australia a few years ago didn't they? So this cannot be a real story since no guns are there for the police to tale - since they already too all the guns - right??

[put in your own sarcastic statement here.....]

I guess I am confused - they took ALL the guns in Australia a few years ago didn't they? So this cannot be a real story since no guns are there for the police to tale - since they already too all the guns - right??

[put in your own sarcastic statement here.....]

There's a few million legally-owned guns in the country, but criminals are better armed than they ever were. Strict legislation has done nothing to stop them acquiring weapons.

I wrote to the radio station in question recently, and didn't receive a response. I also had several comments deleted from the video; censorship in full swing.

The president of GRAA (Gun Rights Across America), Eric Reed, pitched in as well.

Australian Radio Broadcast Identifies "Biggest, Ugliest Gun of All Time" | BuzzPoBuzzPo

Meanwhile, our draconian knife laws are stopping those pesky criminals from carrying knives.

A cafe worker has described how he watched in horror as a man was fatally stabbed in full view of school holiday shoppers at Myer in Westfield Parramatta today.

The shopping mall was placed into lockdown this morning after the stabbing on level four outside the Myer department store at about 10.30am, police said.

Cafe worker Paulo Agcaoili said he saw the man being attacked.

“There was a man with a knife, a big one, like a machete,” he said.

“He was standing in Myer stabbing someone.

“They got the guy, the police trained a stun gun on him.

“I saw people running away screaming, it happened so quickly.”

Witnesses said several police tasered the shirtless man, who had a large tattoo on his back.

Shops in the centre near the stabbing were forced into lockdown, while the rest of the centre remains open.

Another witness told Macquarie Radio he saw the man stab the victim, then take off his shirt, light a cigarette and start talking on his mobile phone while waiting for police to arrive.

He told AAP the attacker looked to be in his 40s and was taunting police officers at the scene.

“He kept plunging the knife in his chest, in and out, and paced up and down the shopping centre screaming at police,” he said, adding that the man was stabbed three to four times.

“He taunted the police, saying ‘what are you scared of?’” The man eventually left the knife in the man’s chest before police moved in to arrest him.

The witness said the knife looked to be about 30cm long and the ordeal lasted about 20 minutes.

“Everyone was very scared and begging for somebody to stop the attack,” he said.

“There was blood everywhere.”

A man has been arrested by police and taken to Parramatta Police Station where he is currently assisting with inquiries.

Police have established a crime scene and investigations into the full circumstances into the man’s death are in their early stages.

“Everyone was very scared and begging for somebody to stop the attack,”

The same thing was said when Lee Rigby was hacked to death in front of crowds of people in London. Being defenceless is great, huh? :rolleyes:

A small but noticeable number of gun-rights extremists here appear to be preoccupied to the point of unhealthy obsession with characterizing anybody not it lockstep with them as "sissies," "mommies," and now, "little girls." This conspicuous gender-based dismissiveness makes me wonder what kinds of inadequacies they're trying to compensate for.

We're just trying to point out that you are obsessed with a pe ni s...is it envy...or are you a tranny. Come on, tell us...we are the enlightened generation now aren't we? Hey, Were you the dude in "Deliverance" that was told to squeal like a pig? You sure sound like you're squealing now!

Don't move to New Zealand? It's not my country so I don't care what they do with or about guns.

But I do feel that gun owners should be responsible for keeping their guns safe and secure. Too many stories about people getting their rifles and handgun stolen from home because they don't lock them up.....

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back