CLICK HERE TO WIN A FREE GUN

another dumb activist. his 15mins

No one said they weren't right for being there...they were wrong for the way they treated the LAC.

Nope.. understanding and respecting the private property owner's right to make the rules on/in his property doesn't make us arrogant elitists for advocating respecting the property owners right.

Property rights are almost absolute. You (and I and everyone) is King on/in our own property and we get to make the rules. And that still holds true for private property that is open to the public (with the exception of some laws governing what rules can't be made like denying access due to race, creed, or religion) because... even though it is open to the public it is STILL private property and the property owner is still King.

A property owner with a no guns policy does NOT restrict your right to bear arms. What he does is place a condition upon your behavior (carrying a gun) while on/in his property. You can voluntarily agree to it by going on/in the property, in which case your own decision to go there is what restricted your right, or you can not go there and keep your right.

The property owner isn't controlling your right to bear arms because he is not requiring you to come onto his property nor do you have the right to be on his property and therefor is not requiring you to disarm. He is offering you the choice of following his rules for the privilege of being allowed on/in his property. YOU are making the decision to disarm in exchange for the privilege of being allowed on/in the property.

There is a difference between you (or I) making a decision to voluntarily not exercise our right to bear arms in exchange for the privilege of shopping at a store..... and someone who does not own the store would be an arrogant elitist by telling folks they must disarm just because they are in a store. Or someone who tells folks how they should bear arms on/in property owned by the public would be an arrogant elitist since "the public" includes both the arrogant elitist and the person carrying a gun. Both have an equal right to engage in legal activities while there.

Edited to clean up wording for clarity...

You are wrong in this video he is carrying a sidearm which the police made reference to by asking why he was openly carrying a sidearm. A sidearm is defined as pistol or revoler but could also refer to a melee weapon but not a rifle or a shotgun. He may have carried an ar-15 in a different video but police would not refer to a rifle as a sidearm.

I have seen people complain that the activist did not know enough about the law. Why should everyone that is open carrying legally be forced to have the legal knowledge of a lawyer just to exercise their rights

Thank God the 2nd Amendment doesn't say "shall not be infringed except for what Rhino, Otis, the cops in the video, the Brady Campaign, or anyone else who disagrees says shouldn't be done".............
That wasn't what I said. The statement is valid in logic. You have the right to jump off a bridge. That doesn't mean you should. I also have the right to open carry. That doesn't mean I should, but I sure as heck can if I want to, and so should you. You're reading things into that statement that weren't there.

The statement:

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should."

Carries with it the personal standards of the person uttering it and is a judgmental statement.

"Just because you can doesn't mean (I think) you should."

I agree with that. I don't necessarily agree that you should deliberately go looking for such confrontations or provoking such arguments. Yes, I know we disagree about whether or not that happened here, But I'm just saying that as a general rule I don't think that should be done.

Again, the lack of support wasn't because he was sticking up for his rights. It was because he was deliberately looking for a confrontation and provoking a debate. Maybe the ridicule and insult was excessive. That could be a matter of opinion. And if any of that was due to a disagreement with open carry, then I'm on your side with opposing it because I do not oppose open carry at all.

It's in our state constitution. It was actually there well before concealed carry passed, so we're lucky in that regard.

We really are all in this together....
Absolutely.

Sadly we live in a work where if you exercise your rights you had better be ready to defend them and face, sometimes unjust, consequences for them.

Actually, you don't have the right to do as you please on someone else's property, so that isn't restricting a right. But rights can and do get restricted based on what is acceptable. The old 'yelling fire in a crowded theater' is probably the most common example that people cite. Rights are restricted when they cause harm to others. But as for Bikenut's comment, he was responding to me because he mistakenly thought something I said was advocating that a right should be restricted by what someone else thinks isn't "reasonable", "appropriate", or "acceptable".

I have seen people complain that the activist did not know enough about the law. Why should everyone that is open carrying legally be forced to have the legal knowledge of a lawyer just to exercise their rights
I'm not saying he should have the knowledge of an attorney, but if he's out to provoke a confrontation and debate, you'd think he'd know his subject better than what he did. He didn't appear to know the statutes and seemed completely unaware that police would be required to respond to what would be inevitable complaints from the public. You could possibly make the case about him being nervous, but he's apparently done this numerous times in the past, so nerves might be a bit of a stretch at this point. Anyway, that's just an appearance thing. The guy might know the book backwards and forwards, but he most definitely didn't come accross that way. He needs work on his presentation at the very least.

The statement:

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should."

Carries with it the personal standards of the person uttering it and is a judgmental statement.

"Just because you can doesn't mean (I think) you should."
I wasn't applying that standard. You added that yourself. I wasn't being judgemental at all.

The statement itself contains the I think implication because it is, in and of itself, a judgmental statement.

When someone says "Just because you can..... (they are admitting that you can).... doesn't mean you should...(they are saying they believe... judging by their personal standards... that you shouldn't)."

After all... when someone says "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." is challenged by the question.... "Who said so?" or "Why shouldn't I?"

What would be the answers other than someone's opinion?

Again, I wasn't implying that at all. I grant you the cop may have been implying that though. I was stating it like a proverb, sort of like when Spock said the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. He wasn't being judgemental against Kirk. He was merely making a statement. No, I'm not a trekkie. It just sounded better than a stitch in time....

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"

Referring back to the property owner's rights thing again:
In my state, signs carry force of law. However, they have to meet certain size and placement criteria.
I could legally concealed carry into a business that has a sign, if the sign doesn't meet the criteria.
I would fully be within my legal rights. I choose not to, because I feel it wouldn't be right to disrespect the owners wishes.
Even though I can, doesn't mean I should.

Bikenut, I see your point though. I am not forcing my beliefs on others.

Guys, this has been a very thought provoking discussion. I thank you all.

I don't believe jumping off a bridge can be ,optically compared to OC... Nope, too much of a stretch for me.

Oh.. by the way... just a general comment...

Just as I am grateful to Obama for exposing the Progressive movement for the control freak tyrannical power grab it is... I am grateful to Otis and his ilk for his comments that result in discussions that educate folks about what rights really are... and show folks the dastardly tactics used by Otis and his ilk to put down freedom and elevate their desire to be........... tyrants lording it over the common folk.

Thank you Otis. Please post more. Your leftist posts (and the leftist postings of those just like you) are doing a fantastic job of furthering the fight for freedom.

And there is absolutely no sarcasm in my comments anywhere. I truly am sincerely grateful for the opportunity to expose the leftist desire to destroy freedom in favor of returning to the elitist tyrannical Lord in the Castle and the oppressed Peasants in the mud.

I don't believe jumping off a bridge can be ,optically compared to OC... Nope, too much of a stretch for me.
Optically? I wasn't doing anything "optically" so I'm not sure what you mean by that. I wasn't comparing anything to OC either. I was stating a principle. Actually I didn't state it at all. Someone else did. I just said it was valid in logic, and it is. Do you really think you should do everything you have a right to do? Should you go out and beat your car with a sledgehammer? You certainly have the right to, but that doesn't mean you should. Please tell me where that logic is faulty. There was no extra context added to the statement. No hidden agenda. Nothing implied. No added baggage. It wasn't in reference to OC, CC or chimpanzees. It was merely a statement of principle, or an axiom if you will.

You all might want to go back and see what I was replying to when I made that comment. What I said was a retort to post #96. Otis was claiming that a comment about the responsibility not to scare the sheeple being the main concerrn was the most sound and logical reason in the video that the guy shouldn't have been carrying. I was turning that around by saying the only logic was in the sentence prior to that, i.e. that having a right to do something (anything, not just OC) doesn't necessarily mean you should. That's a perfectly valid, logical and reasonable statement, and if so many people weren't reading things into it that weren't there, we wouldn't be wasting all these posts going over it again and again.

Actually, it's neither logically valid or legally valid, unless you can show where the "right" is articulated to commit suicide (jumping off a bridge is a suicide attempt in most cases). Even if the words aren't taken by LE as a euphemism for a suicide attempt, where would the "right" to intentionally hurt one's self be articulated?

As it applies to this thread, there is valid law and valid logic in the right Markedguardian was exercising. It's up to no one but him to decide whether or not he should exercise that/those rights.

Email