Another aspect of Range Safety

MECHTESTER

Si vis pacem, para bellum
I have always been leery of shooting alone and not having a loaded weapon on me at all times while at the range. A couple years ago my fears where proved right when a pastor was shooting alone at a local range when two deserters from Fort Drum showed up. They murdered him and took his weapons for their criminal activities while on the lam. The law caught both of them; however, unfortunately, WV does not have the death penalty. I and everyone here wished the Army could have court martialed and hung 'em:hang3:
Please, everyone, when you go to the range, you really should have a buddy and both of you be armed and readyat all times. Criminals are always going to go where they think the guns are.

I have always been leery of shooting alone and not having a loaded weapon on me at all times while at the range. A couple years ago my fears where proved right when a pastor was shooting alone at a local range when two deserters from Fort Drum showed up. They murdered him and took his weapons for their criminal activities while on the lam. The law caught both of them; however, unfortunately, WV does not have the death penalty. I and everyone here wished the Army could have court martialed and hung 'em:hang3:
Please, everyone, when you go to the range, you really should have a buddy and both of you be armed and readyat all times. Criminals are always going to go where they think the guns are.

+1000

I had this conversation with a couple last time I was at the range.

Not only that but watch other shooters as well. In the past few years more and more people have been killing them self's and loved ones at ranges with rented firearms. I hate public ranges I always feel unsafe because of the untrained guy/girl in the next lane(not even the basics of safe firearm handling). You see them with their fingers on the trigger while pointing the firearm to the side. It's to the point that I'm thinking about wearing a vest when and if I go again.

Not only that but watch other shooters as well. In the past few years more and more people have been killing them self's and loved ones at ranges with rented firearms. I hate public ranges I always feel unsafe because of the untrained guy/girl in the next lane(not even the basics of safe firearm handling). You see them with their fingers on the trigger while pointing the firearm to the side. It's to the point that I'm thinking about wearing a vest when and if I go again.

Generally speaking 90% of the people that I have seen at this range practice safe handling. However, I have seen a few (and it only takes one) that were dangerous. My cousin owns some hilly woodlands. He has a lane dozed out that has a backstop against a hill. We can go out to 100 yds. for the rifles. With what happened at the public range and the few unsafe people I have ran into there, we just use his place now.

Generally speaking 90% of the people that I have seen at this range practice safe handling. However, I have seen a few (and it only takes one) that were dangerous. My cousin owns some hilly woodlands. He has a lane dozed out that has a backstop against a hill. We can go out to 100 yds. for the rifles. With what happened at the public range and the few unsafe people I have ran into there, we just use his place now.

Must be nice :biggrin:

Not only that but watch other shooters as well.

+ 1000

At my local range, owned and operated by the VVA, all summer long you have people that will just start walking down range while you are still on live fire. Granted we are a Terrorist (Tourist) town, and most of the people that come up here are from around Chicago, but you would think that the report from a large caliber rifle or pistol would be enough to deter them from walking out in front of it. Occasionally you will have someone that will start firing while you are down range. So I keep a loaded magazine in my AR, and my USP on my side, cause if someone wants to shoot at me, I will return fire. It is not like you can miss a Bright Red Instructor's long sleeve against sand and grass. Since I am often taking kids with me, I will not hesitate to defend them if the event arises. The stupidity of some makes them worthy of a "Darwin Award" :hang3:

Hoo boy, is that ever true! I could write a short novel on the loons coming in to shoot at our local range. One poor guy rented a .45, shot a few rounds downrange, then turned the gun on himself (aiming downrange as well) and suicided. He could just as well have targeted the peeps present that day and 'taken them with him.'

Then there are those peeps on busy Saturdays! I had to correct several 'shooters' in the proper direction to place rounds in the magazines--yes, it is quite possible to load the mag with a load of "180's."

They walk among us!

On thread, I DO always have my carry M&P locked & loaded in addition to the weapon being fired. With all those peeps already standing around with loaded
guns there will be very very little reaction time if one of them goes postal.

Thanks for the reminder!

Before I say anything else I have to ask "Would the Pastor have pushed for the death penalty?"

That said, The person you are reffering to was a member of the old High Road forum. There was quite an extensive thread on it over there at the time.

When I go to the range I am usually w/ my wife; the rule is, I go down range to adjust targets she stays w/ the guns and we each have a loaded weapon on us at all times.

I've only been to the range once on a Saturday and once sure was enough. Boy am I glad I have days off during the week! Shooting at a public range on the weekend can be hazardous to your health.

... I hate public ranges I always feel unsafe because of the untrained guy/girl in the next lane(not even the basics of safe firearm handling). You see them with their fingers on the trigger while pointing the firearm to the side. It's to the point that I'm thinking about wearing a vest when and if I go again.

I quit shooting at public ranges years ago. If I need to take a student there, I'm sure to wear my vest.

My wife and I rent a buddy's range (at the end of his farm) for a day for $10, and we're free to shoot all weapons, draw, move, and experiment every imaginable scenario that comes to mind. No lording-over-range-officer within 30 miles.

Both my wife and I are always carrying - always.

I went to the Beverly Hills Gun Club once. I had a lot of guests from offshore and they all wanted to do something forbidden in their country, they wanted to go shooting for the day. We were on one side of the shooting range and the RSO of the gun club was on the other side. He was giving directions and pointing with his handgun right at us. I made me feel very uncomfortable. I have a range here in Tennessee and the first thing I do with all shooters is go throught the basics of safety even if they say they have had shooting experience before.

My range policy

I ALWAYS take someone to the range with me. It's usually my son, wife, friend or family member. I find it enjoyable to introduce people to guns and marksmanship. It more fun to shoot with someone else and it's safer, too!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back