Ankle or IWB

nybuckboy

I work in a healthcare office. Dress shirt, dress pants and shoes. Sitting alot but also walking down a 15 yard hall to the front office with and w/o patients many time a day. I'm in a strip mall where I may walk several hundred yards to the bank or restaurant.

I carry a 380 BG or would like to carry my Sig P938. I honestly can not get comfortable with the IWB that I have. I have worn it with jeans out to dinner and it was OK but also had a loose shirt over it. It isn't as much a problem out side of the work situation.

Should I be looking at a deeper IWB hoster and if so what brand.model? Should I consider an Ankle holster and what brand/model works for you. What body position do you where your IWB at?

Depending on your body type, finding a comfortable position for IWB can be challenging. Thin people not only have the difficulty of a visible bulge, but also more tight fitting clothes. Us more rounded individuals may have an easier go at it. Either way, upsizing your wardrobe one size may be necessary.

You didn't mention much about your physique, sex or body style, but those can all be determining factors in finding a good fit. Also what type/style/mfg of holster do you currently own?

Regardless though, IWB is probably the best for concealment since ankle holsters have a few drawbacks and are often used for BUG (backup gun) situations versus primary. 1) immediate accessibility to the ankle can be difficult (you have to bend over which could be a problem in a face to face conflict. 2) retention: some ankle holsters don't have the best retention properties and the gun could fall out or come off the Velcro. 3) small guns only: ankle holsters tend to be viable for ultra small guns. 4) don't cross your legs. If you raise your leg in an office setting, the pant leg could easily ride up and make the gun visible.

You may wish to try both different holster styles and/or ankle to see which works best for you. There are some cheap alternatives too such as Sticky holsters or Remora, which may help you find the 'right' spot IWB. Have you tried an appendix carry? (Not real suitable for us larger mid-section folks). How about SOB (small of back)? Again there are many, many options and I suggest buying a relatively inexpensive soft holster like the two mentioned above with which to experiment on different carry positions. Once you find a spot that works, you can invest in a leather or kydex version for your particular gun and position.

Lastly try looking at 5.11 tactical holster shirts too (other mfg make them too). These are undergarments that have holsters built in and may work well for your particular situation. They're not cheap but certainly fit their intended purpose.

Just remember that holsters aren't necessarily always comfortable, but should be comforting.

Feel free to PM me if you would like more information.

In the summer, all I use is an ankle holster. I realize it's not the best for quick access, but since I wear nothing but boots, it works out perfect for me. Come cooler weather, it's still my back-up but I also pocket-carry another matching 380 with 2 extra mags in another ankle holster on the other ankle, 26 rounds in total. I don't ever intend to get in a situation or location where a quick draw may be necessary. However, I have been known to move the gun to my waist band under my shirt from time to time when the surroundings looked iffy.

I use, and have used for the past year a REMORA iwb and love it. I carry a SIG P238 in it. The other method of carry I use is Techna clip for my Ruger LPC. I don't know what a .380BG is. I also would like to know what bootsdeal carrys that gives him 26 rounds in 3 magazines. To me ankle carry is out of the question for a number of reasons, 1. I wear shorts in Las Vegas most of the year. 2. Sitting down my pant cufs move up. 3. I think it would be most uncomfortable!

I use, and have used for the past year a REMORA iwb and love it. I carry a SIG P238 in it. The other method of carry I use is Techna clip for my Ruger LPC. I don't know what a .380BG is. I also would like to know what bootsdeal carrys that gives him 26 rounds in 3 magazines. To me ankle carry is out of the question for a number of reasons, 1. I wear shorts in Las Vegas most of the year. 2. Sitting down my pant cufs move up. 3. I think it would be most uncomfortable!

S&W Bodyguard .380

I use a wallet holster for my Taurus 380 TCP from Stoner Holster (Link Removed). I'm sure they make one for the Body Guard 380. It rides in my right rear pocket and it is easy to draw the gun while the wallet stays in place. The hard part was getting used to carrying my real wallet in the left rear pocket. Looks just like a wallet from the outside.

I have the same problem as you do working in an office setting. I carry a Springfield XDs .45. During the summer months I wear mostly golf style shirts, and IWB carry is just too obvious, so during the summer I carry on my ankle using a blackhawk ankle holster. The XDs is small enough to carry comfortably that way. I don't think I would be as comfortable carrying one of my larger guns that way. During the winter months when I tend to wear more dress style shirts which can be a little looser fitting. I either wear IWB using the N82 Tactical holster (pronounced "Nate Squared"). It is very comfortable and with the professional model you can tuck your shirt in over it, or I often wear a belly band holster with the belly band being over my undershirt, but under my dress shirt. This is actually the best way for concealing that I have found wearing a dress shirt since the belly band does not hook onto your pants and does not pull down on your waistband. When I wear IWB, I carry at the 4:00 position. I have found it to be more comfortable than SOB.

Think about pocket carry? I have a LCP (.380 similar to BG) in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. You might need to adjust the type of dress pants you wear, or maybe not. Most "cargo" style pants tend to have large enough front pockets.
Link Removed
The Remora no-clip is also very comfortable at 3-o'clock, but I'm not sure how it would work with tucked in shirts.

I don't trust a .380 as a primary. Better than nothing but pretty inadequate. Think about a compact pistol, 4" barrel, in 9mm, .40 or .45 with one of several Galco IWB J hook holster in appendix (2 o'clock) carry. I'm thin, 6' and 175#, and have no trouble with my Kimber Custom, Glock 23 or CZ 75 custom. I prefer 4 o'clock carry OWB but the J hook allows me to tuck a shirt in between the gun and the pants and with just a little billowing, the gun is completely concealed. I do have to step up 2" in my pant's waist size which isn't a problem because I was 10 pounds heavier a couple of years ago and have 35' pants left over but now wear a 33" waist. When sitting, the gun is between my legs and fairly comfortable. When standing I don't even notice it. Galco holsters, while a bit more expensive than the cheap brands, are much better made than the cheap brands and offer good quality and value in a custom fitted holster.

I don't trust a .380 as a primary. Better than nothing but pretty inadequate.

First, the OP said he has a .380 and want's ideas on how to carry it, not gun buying advice.
Second, this is my BUG. That said if you would like to stand in front of a .380, or a .22 for that matter, and take your chances then be my guest.

I prefer to be on the backside of any gun! :agree: If you reread the OP, I think he wants to carry his Sig P938 and has the .380 as a BG (I assumed Backup Gun but maybe it's the S&W Bodyguard). The P938 is 9mm. My point was not what gun to put in the Galco, it was that if a compact can be comfortable, a sub compact should be more so. Just my opinion; you're entitled to yours. I frequently carry a .380 and I've even got a Walther PP in .32. I still prefer the larger calibers when I can dress for them. Sometimes I can't. It's not the gun, it's the willingness to survive.

What I said was that in cooler weather I carry 2 380's (7 rounds in each) and 2 extra mags (6 rounds in each). That's a total of 26 rounds if I can add right.

i dress in Khakis /dress pants every day....i pocket carry a p3at with the 9 round mag.....makes it sit in pocket with little to no movement........have carried this way for 7 years and have never had any issue....

Just ordered a DeSantis Nemesis like the one pictured before on this post. We'll see how it works for me.

I was looking for a good holster online for weeks for my new LCP. I was at a local pawn shop/range getting some .380 ammo and the girl behind the counter asked what for, started up a conversation and walked me over to the holsters. She opened a package, said "try this" and I was sold. I like the cut of it, since it allows you to get a perfect shooting grip while it is still in your pocket. As long as it is the proper one for your gun I think you will be pleased.

I am home most of the time, but that entails a lot of getting up and down, climbing stairs, bending, etc.. I tried many IWBs, couldn't get one I could tolerate, so switched to ankle. I wear boot cut jeans most of the time and started ordering them long enough they drag the ground without shoes so I can wear my ankle holsters anywhere, anytime without worry about them showing.
Yes, I could not get to my gun very quickly. It would take bending over and pulling up my pants leg. But it is better than not wearing a gun, or losing one, I know, I know,, how would you lose a gun? Well, let me tell you. I tried one of those remora IWBs, it unfortunately fell down inside my pants and I was digging down my jeans in public trying to get it back up before it fell down my leg. That's OK, you can laugh. It was sorta funny.

Moral to the story I guess, is, you gotta try them to know which will work for you. Good luck.

Been carrying over 30 years. I have tried everything. Every kind of gun.

My prefered carry is calf. Ankle is too low for me. I custom altered a Serpa II and am pleased. Used the belt attachment and made a harness from 2" Velcro.

I carry guns from 9mm to 10mm, currently using a Glock 23C.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back