Ammo choice (in NJ)

ozzie

Since I can't carry hollow point ammo in NJ, what would be a good choice of .40 cal. ammo to carry?

since i can't carry hollow point ammo in nj, what would be a good choice of .40 cal. Ammo to carry?

You move and get the hell out of that excuse for a state. Wanna bet that the legislators and your vaunted gov and their security just carry little bean bags? Wanna bet that no one who passed this insane piece of legislature will give a darn if you fail to defend yourself because your choice of ammo is just unfair or inhuman?

See if there's a loophole that would let you carry Hornady Critical Defense. It has a polymer thingy in the hollow point, so technically the point is not hollow.

1st choice, is to move out of that state. Arizona is a very "gun sensible" state.

2nd choice, (I don't thing the Critical Defense "technicality" will fly in court) is use JSP Jacketed Soft Point ammo.

3rd choice, carry the best personal defense ammo you can get. Your life depends on it.

Is it a felony or just a misdemeanor?

Standard jacketed ammo should work. It will not have the expansion of a hollow point but it is much better then a poke in the eye with a stick.

For NJ, the rule of thumb is to find and research what the best defense round you can use, and then do exactly the opposite. 9 times out of 10 you will be legal if you think that way.

My best suggestion is to travel west into PA and use whatever defense rounds you want, and whatever size magazine you want. Hell, carry out in the open and don't get a license; it's legal there too. So my question, what makes that line of separation between PA and NJ so special?

As far as what is the best defense round that is legal in NJ? I don't believe a defense round is made that IS legal in NJ. A lot of plinking rounds are legal (FMJ, and the like). I would be very reluctant about using those in NJ, because a FMJ coming out of a .40 will go through your target and into the innocent behind them. Be very cognizant of who and what is behind what you are shooting at in NJ.

My first question is how in God's name did you get a Jersey carry permit? Who do you know? You are allowed to use hollowpoints at your residence or business.

More importantly, how did you get a CCW permit in NJ? I have friends that are LEO and can't get one for their sons.

I don't think the OP ever said anything about a NJ CCW permit. Maybe it is for home defense.

Well since you can have hollowpoints at your residence I guess we took carry to mean carry and since you need a permit to carry in NJ...............

I live in New Jerkistan as well and I am not telling you what to do but, I believe they are legal. One thing I will say is no one knows the truth of the matter in this state. The way I interpret it as long as you are not doing anything illegal or have an illegal weapon then you are ok. AGAIN I am not telling you what to do or what to have but,here is the law concerning hollow points you make the call. Link Removed I hear all of you I am working on moving back to the U.S. as quickly as I can.

See if there's a loophole that would let you carry Hornady Critical Defense. It has a polymer thingy in the hollow point, so technically the point is not hollow.

^^^ I'd look into this, seems the wording of the law MAY allow something like that

From the NJ State Police

N.J.S.A
2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].
Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Critical Defense doesn't have a hollow nose thanks to that plug. I'd check with whoever NJ's pro gun organization is.

I'm with everyone else. You are 100% allowed to have hollow point ammunition in your home but for carry you are not. And i'd really like to know how you got a permit too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back