Aiming vs pointing at close range

CRW

I read on here recently (can't remember who but if it's you, please chime in so I can thank you) that an individual stated he shot better by pointing rather than aiming at close range. Today, I took my LCP out (as I do every weekend) for some practice and tried the pointing technique. I found that I can shoot just as accurate by using a quick draw and point rather than taking time to aim. My groupings were pretty much the same with each technique but I got more shots off by just pointing and I was able to keep my eye on the target. I'd say the gun was 6 to 8 inches below my dominate eye every time and I am confident that my SA was much higher. It felt great not having to close an eye and concentrate on the sights.

I was shooting between 8 and 10 feet each time and I'd say my groupings were in an area of the palm of my hand. I am very happy with the results I got today! I plan on working with this technique more in the next few weeks rather than spending the time to aim.

I would never do this from a distance just so you know. I am only talking close range with a broad target right in front of me.

Has anyone else tried and had success with this technique?

yes i did that very thing my last range visit ..it's quicker and almost as accurate for me..... than trying to line up sights and when shooting from the hip that is all one can do is point and shoot so it's great practice for real time scenarios imo

At close range with your target running at you, you will be lucky to get your gun out of your holster let alone having time to aim and shoot. Add the adrenaline rush and you will have your hands full.

SA?

Personally I do better aiming. I'd rather put one right where I want it that have 6 solid misses.

how much closer do you think you can get? 7 shots in the area of the palm of my hand at 8 to 10 feet.......

aiming can be done using sights or pointing. it's still 'aiming' either way what ever you can do fastest most effectively i say go for it

At close range with your target running at you, you will be lucky to get your gun out of your holster let alone having time to aim and shoot. Add the adrenaline rush and you will have your hands full.

I've only actually had someone in my sights one time and All I remember is the front sight was crystal clear and he was a blob

SA?

Personally I do better aiming. I'd rather put one right where I want it that have 6 solid misses.

Situational Awareness. I put all 7 rounds in a very small area, enough of a small area to be plenty sufficient. No need to fine tune a grouping like that, it's more than sufficient

Situational Awareness. I put all 7 rounds in a very small area, enough of a small area to be plenty sufficient. No need to fine tune a grouping like that, it's more than sufficient

I don't understand how situational awareness applies to a target shoot at a range. Situation awareness involves being aware of what is happening in the vicinity to understand how information, events, and one's own actions will impact goals and objectives, both immediately and in the near future Situation awareness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IOW it's having an idea of what is going on around you and how best to react to it.

That said,

This is my own theory, it works for me and I will continue to use and let other use what works for them.

When I'm at the range I work very hard on proper shooting technique with the idea that if I master the basics when I'm not under stress they'll come automatically when I am.

Take your target and mount it on a moving base now try point and shoot

I don't understand how situational awareness applies to a target shoot at a range. Situation awareness involves being aware of what is happening in the vicinity to understand how information, events, and one's own actions will impact goals and objectives, both immediately and in the near future Situation awareness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IOW it's having an idea of what is going on around you and how best to react to it.

That said,

This is my own theory, it works for me and I will continue to use and let other use what works for them.

When I'm at the range I work very hard on proper shooting technique with the idea that if I master the basics when I'm not under stress they'll come automatically when I am.

Take your target and mount it on a moving base now try point and shoot

I think you are missing a point here. Pointing, you are pointing and have full awareness of your target with both eyes.... aiming, you have one eye closed and looking at two small metal pieces on a gun. I stated what I think might work best for me and I'd much rather give up looking at two pieces of metal and concentrate more on being able to use both eyes. You can stick to whatever works for you

''This is my own theory, it works for me and I will continue to use and let other use what works for them. ''
now you think you are a god that 'lets' others do what works for them ???????? just fyi folks going to do what works for them regardless of your approval or permission!
ps. i do need to find that 'rolling eyes' emoticon localgirl lolz

You've figured out the tactic most law enforcement and tactical shooters employ, point and shoot practice is for close range. Try holding your handgun with both hands close in near your torso and examine where your natural aim point is directed. The trick to successful point and shoot is the same position each and every time. It's worked for me for years. Try having your target at eighteen inches, two feet, three feet and four. If your groups are consistent, you are doing it right. Have fun.

You've figured out the tactic most law enforcement and tactical shooters employ, point and shoot practice is for close range. Try holding your handgun with both hands close in near your torso and examine where your natural aim point is directed. The trick to successful point and shoot is the same position each and every time. It's worked for me for years. Try having your target at eighteen inches, two feet, three feet and four. If your groups are consistent, you are doing it right. Have fun.

thanks for the reply, I appreciate the positive response! I've spent a lot of time practicing with aiming but today was the first time I've tried this technique and it motivated me for sure! I think I've fallen in to a routine that most people do where they feel aiming is the only and best technique. I often think of those situations I don't care to ever be in and have often wondered what it would be like if the situation didn't allow time for lifting my firearm and having to aim.

I hear a lot of macho talk on here from some who seem to be experts on every situation but I am a realist and try my hardest to prepare mentally for real situations, not imaginary ones on the internet. I have definitely benefited from many people on this forum and greatly appreciate the responses of the experts here.

I do feel my hand control, aim and consistency are just fine but like others, I do get complacent at times when out doing some recreational shooting. I have decided that even though I can shoot every day here at my house, I am going to concentrate more on the serious aspect of techniques. I'm sure people who carry for a living don't shoot handguns for recreation anymore and I don't see any reason I should.

Thanks for the response! My confidence is up and so is my motivation. I am not a beginner but I still have a LOT to learn. I can only get better so I have nothing to lose. Can't wait to get back out and might just go again tomorrow.

By the way, 4 times out now with my new XDM-9 and I just broke the 1,000 round mark. Man I love that gun!!! Also, all my own loads

Last edited:
There are various methods of aiming that don't employ the traditional method of looking through the rear sight. These methods are employed as the target enters bad breath distance and speed of multiple hits outweighs the need of acute precision.

True "Point" shooting is a panic reaction which is usually an indication that Situational Awareness wasn't properly employed. In which case you will very likely be laying on the pavement bleeding out.

Rather than thinking you've reinvented the wheel and start mocking the opinion of others as being "Macho bs" you should seek some professional training in dynamic self defense shooting techniques.

I think you are missing a point here. Pointing, you are pointing and have full awareness of your target with both eyes.... aiming, you have one eye closed and looking at two small metal pieces on a gun. I stated what I think might work best for me and I'd much rather give up looking at two pieces of metal and concentrate more on being able to use both eyes. You can stick to whatever works for you

OK I thnk we're communicating now but I would like to point out that you're supposed to have both eyes open while aiming

Personally, I use sights, however,

If you go to YouTube and type in 'FIST shooting demonstration', you will see some good stuff... also try 'Point Shooting'.

You will find a large compilation of info, especially for Fist shooting. There are some very good instructional videos for FIST shooting... including a guy who has a 45 auto with no sights....a totally smooth top weapon (no dovetails) shooting from up close and personal out to 80 or so yards... (he doesn't miss)

Practice practice practice

one other point.... no matter how you shoot, you should always keep both eyes open.... never close one eye to 'aim'!

Practice.... practice... practice...
If the threat is close you may never get the chance to bring the pistol all the way up. But that is still where you want to finish IMHO. On target, eyes open. That would as you are moving.
Two shots on center mass until the threat stops.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back