After the BG gets it.

XD40FAN

Let's say you make your way into a store and while you are grabbing your merchandise a BG walks in gun drawn and points it at the cashier, cashier proceeds to give him everything in the register than the BG puts two into the cashiers chest. Now your armed have drawn your firearm and are on the floor and this BG is now going from customer to customer demanding their wallet or purse and putting one in their head. In a perfect second from the floor you aim and fire and place two in his chest. Now for the question before the police arrive would you unload your firearm and wait on the floor with your hands on your head for the sheriff so that when they arrive on scene they don't suspect your a threat? Or would you leave it loaded and holstered? The reason I ask this is because I have read a few stories where police being dispatched on a shooting tend to have itchy trigger fingers.

Unload it? Lol definitely not. If you do that you may as well place it in an evidence bag and start placing the little evidence marking signs, drawing white lines around bodies, performing CPR on the victims, writing a report, and doing everything else for the emergency responders.

Leave it loaded and in your holster or as my instructor said, leave it somewhere within reach but not in your hands. Putting your hands on your head is also going to make you look like a suspect. Keep hands visible is all I would do. But thats my unqualified opinion.

this is really odd because i was wondering pretty much the same exact thing, very similar situations and all, last night so i am very curious to see some of the responses.

If you are carrying a spare magazine, reload and holster. If not, just holster. To unload the gun is a tactical mistake.

<sarcasm on>
Then take the bright flourescent green CCW sash out of your pocket and put it on diagonally across your chest and hold your CCW permit up like a badge when the police arrive.
<sarcasm off.... for now>

Let's say you make your way into a store and while you are grabbing your merchandise a BG walks in gun drawn and points it at the cashier, cashier proceeds to give him everything in the register than the BG puts two into the cashiers chest. Now your armed have drawn your firearm and are on the floor and this BG is now going from customer to customer demanding their wallet or purse and putting one in their head. In a perfect second from the floor you aim and fire and place two in his chest. Now for the question before the police arrive would you unload your firearm and wait on the floor with your hands on your head for the sheriff so that when they arrive on scene they don't suspect your a threat? Or would you leave it loaded and holstered? The reason I ask this is because I have read a few stories where police being dispatched on a shooting tend to have itchy trigger fingers.

An awful lot of words just to ask: What would you do with your gun after a self defense shooting?

If the threat has obviously been "neutralized" in the extreme, I return my pistol to the holster or pocket from whence it came and go outside to wait for the police. If the former threat is still moving, I may very well stand guard until LE arrives. In any case make sure the perp's weapon is secure. The only reason I wouldn't secure my own pistol is if the perp still posed a potential threat.

That's why the other thing you need to carry to protect your life is a cell phone, so you can be the guy who calls the cops and says either "I've got the shooter down and I am holding him with my weapon" or "I've shot someone. He was going to kill us. Please tell the police I am the one with the holstered weapon." If there is any way you can get your weapon secured and out of sight, do it. Either way, be prepared to interact with police when they arrive and follow their directions.

That's why the other thing you need to carry to protect your life is a cell phone, so you can be the guy who calls the cops and says either "I've got the shooter down and I am holding him with my weapon" or "I've shot someone. He was going to kill us. Please tell the police I am the one with the holstered weapon." If there is any way you can get your weapon secured and out of sight, do it. Either way, be prepared to interact with police when they arrive and follow their directions.

Exactly, what I would have said. Get on the phone with 911 and describe yourself to the operator so they can relay that to the responding LEO. I'm wearing such and such standing right where. I would be in a place if possible where they can see me easily as they approach with their vehicles.

If it is safe to do so I would reload, reholster and give what aid I could to any other victims. If he was just wounded I would hold my gun on him until the police arrived and immediately put it down when order to do so. Also, if possible make sure you are the one to call 911. The person who makes the call is assumed to be the victim. It's also good to ask for an ambulance as this can be used to show that you weren't out looking to shoot someone. It is something that you were forced to do to protect yourself. Then while on the phone you can make it clear that there you are there, are armed, and shot in self-defense. I carry a little card in my wallet that gives you four points to follow in a self-defense shooting. 1. Make sure the police know that he attacked you. 2. Tell them you will sign a complaint. 3. Point out any evidence (like where his gun is, any shell casings and other possible witnessess). 4. Make sure you tell them you need to talk to a lawyer before you answer any questions, don't answer any questions and do not consent to any searches of your property.

What localgirl said. Even if someone else has called 911, they may not have seen you. You want to tell the dispatcher what you're wearing, etc, so they can pass that on to responding officers.

I absolutely would not unload. I'd keep the weapon pointed at the BG and wait for the police then do exactly what they tell me without out any hesitation or discussion.

Just a few things I'd like to add:

Are you sure the threat has stopped? How sure? Remember, handgun wounds are RARELY fatal.

- The shooter could have an accomplice.

- The shooter might be playing possum (and you don't want to get close enough to look for breath or take a pulse).

- The shooter might have been stunned by your shots, temporarily unconscious, and could get a second wind once his glands dump all their adrenaline and endorphins into his body. Or he may be on drugs that have his metabolism in overdrive.​

With that in mind..once the shooter is down, keeping your gun in your hand, scan 360 degrees and assess the situation, being ready to engage any further threats.

Once you're satisfied there are no more threats - reload if you have spares. You may want to consider keeping your gun trained on the bad guy. It's also a good idea to call 911 at this point. "The bad guy is down. I have him covered with my gun." (DO NOT SAY "I SHOT HIM" or any variant thereof. The idea in this situation is to let the police know enough information to feel safer, not to incriminate yourself or try to start your trial defense.)

Obviously, once police are arriving on the scene - you hear sirens, see lights, etc - you should probably holster your gun if you have not already done so. Follow whatever instructions they give you.

How much to say to police after a self-defense shooting is a topic that is hotly debated on this and other forums. Rather than fan the flames yet more, I would encourage anyone to go to this link, and read the chapter titled, Proving Your Claim of Self Defense which starts on page 10. The section on what to say in the aftermath of a shooting is very well-written, and is a good starting point for the thought process.

Green Sash?

If you are carrying a spare magazine, reload and holster. If not, just holster. To unload the gun is a tactical mistake.

<sarcasm on>
Then take the bright flourescent green CCW sash out of your pocket and put it on diagonally across your chest and hold your CCW permit up like a badge when the police arrive.
<sarcasm off.... for now>

Good advice. Where do I get me one of them sash's??? ha..

If the bad guy goes down look left then right, he may have someone outside the store. Then make sure the bad guy is out of the game. Where is his weapon? Secure it. We do not want any weapons missing. Then call your lawyer, then 911. Have them send help. You can give the dispatcher your description. They will want you to stay on the line, as for me I’m hanging up. They are recording everything that is like making a statement. I heard a 911 call not long ago and a woman said "Oh God I just killed a man", and went on and on. Hanging up you do not have to deal with that. Whatever you do not have the weapon in your hand when the cops pull up.
The reason I say send help, you may not be a physician so you cannot say someone is dead, let the medical team do that. Your lawyer will have told you not to make a statement till he/she gets there, please take that advice. You are going to want to talk, just do not do it. They will want your name just give them your driver’s license. You can be polite just say my lawyer is on his way and I do not wish to make a statement till he gets here.

Great post. Level-headed and helpful.

Maintain situational awareness and credibility.

Are you sure the threat has stopped? How sure? Remember, handgun wounds are RARELY fatal.

- The shooter could have an accomplice.

- The shooter might be playing possum (and you don't want to get close enough to look for breath or take a pulse).

- The shooter might have been stunned by your shots, temporarily unconscious, and could get a second wind once his glands dump all their adrenaline and endorphins into his body. Or he may be on drugs that have his metabolism in overdrive.​

With that in mind..once the shooter is down, keeping your gun in your hand, scan 360 degrees and assess the situation, being ready to engage any further threats.

Once you're satisfied there are no more threats - reload if you have spares. You may want to consider keeping your gun trained on the bad guy. It's also a good idea to call 911 at this point. "The bad guy is down. I have him covered with my gun." (DO NOT SAY "I SHOT HIM" or any variant thereof. The idea in this situation is to let the police know enough information to feel safer, not to incriminate yourself or try to start your trial defense.)

Obviously, once police are arriving on the scene - you hear sirens, see lights, etc - you should probably holster your gun if you have not already done so. Follow whatever instructions they give you.

How much to say to police after a self-defense shooting is a topic that is hotly debated on this and other forums. Rather than fan the flames yet more, I would encourage anyone to go to this link, and read the chapter titled, Proving Your Claim of Self Defense which starts on page 10. The section on what to say in the aftermath of a shooting is very well-written, and is a good starting point for the thought process.

Bighouse Doc:267926 said:
Is this a troll?

This almost sounds like it was taken from some pulp thriller!

No not a troll. Just had a question and I don't see why this question would anger anyone and if it did there are prescription drugs for that. Two posts below the original a guy was thinking about the same question. All im saying is I live in Jacksonville, FL and if you watch the national news you will see the reports of our J.S.O. Officers have a very very very very very itchy trigger finger. So after the BG is known 100 percent dead and no known threats exist would do to our cops itchy trigger fingers be a good idea to completely disarm ourself to not look like a threat. People have replied and it seems they rationalize the latter I.E. what if the perp jumps up and starts roundhouse kicking and shooting frantically? Look I carry a a large gun its gonna be pretty obvious he's dead with every ounce of his blood pooling in a giant circle around him.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back