Actions post shooting

grmerrill

I'm curious what people have been taught to do if you are placed in the position that you have defended yourself. Assuming the BG is no longer a threat, and the police have just arrived, how to you keep from getting shot yourself?

My ccw instructor told us to have you're weapon pointed in a safe direction and have your permit in one hand above your head, pointed in the direction of the responding officer.

What were you taught by you're instructor?

I think mine told us to clear the weapon and lay it on the ground. I am thinking I dont like that process. God forbid I ever have to use my weapon, I am thinking I will simply reholster and have my permit out when the police arrive.

IF (and that is a strong IF) there is no further threat evident. I believe I would merely reholster, call 911 to show "honest intent" and get it on record, and wait for the Police to appear. Permit out and other hand exposed and empty.

That is under normal circumstances. There are other situations where you might actually have to vacate the immediate incident area. (Never a good idea, but necessary for survival upon occasion.)

Either way, be sure to inform Police Dispatch of your intentions and reasons if you HAVE to vacate. You have to show honest intent, from start of incident to finish. Any mistakes at all and there will be any number of Asst DAs more than willing to make their name on your conviction. Just think, from potential victim to potential Bad Guy with one click of a DA's Bik.

Ya GOTTA love it!

GG

I would have to say "It depends." The main thing is to inform the officers that the criminal is being held at bay with a firearm. Otherwise the police might think you are the perp.

Once the police arrive, it would be best to follow their instructions and make safe and slide back. The problem is the police don't have (or have very little) knowledge of the situation, so in some respect you need to make sure they are safe, and they have control once they arrive.

Call 911,
I was afraid for my life, and was forced to defend myself.Please send an Ambulance right away.

Clear your weapon set on ground.

When Police Arrive,
1. He Attacked me.
2. I'll sign a Complaint.
3. There's the evidence.
4. I need to talk to my Lawyer,I do not
Consent to any search.

Officer,
If I have given you this card, it has been necessary to take actions to defend innocent life. I am willing to sign a criminal complaint against the perpetrators.

I will point out witnesses and evidence.As you may have experienced yourself, this is a stressfull and traumatic experience for me.

Therefore,I wish to make no further statements until I have contacted an attorney and composed myself.

I also do not consent to any searches.I will cooperate fully once I have consulted with an attorney and calmed down.

As a lawfully armed citizen, I ask for the same courtesy that you would show a fellow officer who was involved in a similar situation.

Thank you for your Understanding.

Call 911,
I was afraid for my life, and was forced to defend myself.Please send an Ambulance right away.

When Police Arrive,
1. He Attacked me.
3. There's the evidence.
Consent to any search.

Officer,
If I have given you this card, it has been necessary to take actions to defend innocent life. I am willing to sign a criminal complaint against the perpetrators.

I will point out witnesses and evidence.As you may have experienced yourself, this is a stressfull and traumatic experience for me.

Therefore,I wish to make no further statements until I have contacted an attorney and composed myself.

I also do not consent to any searches.I will cooperate fully once I have consulted with an attorney and calmed down.

As a lawfully armed citizen, I ask for the same courtesy that you would show a fellow officer who was involved in a similar situation.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ Right after dialing 911 and getting on record about the event. - That recording could be the difference.

Call 911,

When Police Arrive,
1. He Attacked me.
3. There's the evidence.
Consent to any search.

Officer,

I think Trophyhunter has a wonderful plan. However, I will NEVER put my gun on the ground unless asked to by a LEO. If the police have not arrived, I'll safety my weapon (I personally believe the less you do with the weapon, the better as handling can cause mistakes when you are adrenaline rushing) and then reholster. I do not want my gun out of my control until it is in the control of the LEO.

Also, grmerrill, I would avoid holding anything over my head. It may look to responding officers like you are ready to throw something (grenade? knife?) or strike the BG on the ground. A great way to stress up the officer as he gets out of the car!

Gunny is correct about calling 911 ASAP. Make sure to describe yourself and what you are wearing WELL, that you are the victim, and the fact that you are armed and had to defend yourself.

Finally, if the BG is contained and I am safe, I would make the officer feel safer by sitting on the ground 30' or so from the BG and placing my hands on my head. In this position, he knows I won't run and I'm at a serious disadvantage to attack him. As soon as he exits the car, I preform my duty to notify and then follow his directions and implement Trophyhunter's protection of rights dialogue.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back