Accidental vs. Negligent

Some comments on another post got me thinking. True accidental discharges (malfunction of the gun, not the user) are pretty rare. I've certainly had a couple NDs in my life, usually by failing to control the recoil on a semi-auto and pulling the trigger twice. But I've had precisely one AD. That was when I ordered a new trigger spring for a rifle, and was sent an incorrect part. I didn't realize it was incorrect, because it fit where it was supposed to, but it wasn't long enough to fully return the trigger to the correct position. While out at the range, I had a round go off when I closed the bolt. The gun was immediately unloaded and placed back in the case and not shot again until the spring was replaced with the correct one.

So I was wondering, have any of you ever had an AD? What were the circumstances?

Some comments on another post got me thinking. True accidental discharges (malfunction of the gun, not the user) are pretty rare. I've certainly had a couple NDs in my life, usually by failing to control the recoil on a semi-auto and pulling the trigger twice. But I've had precisely one AD. That was when I ordered a new trigger spring for a rifle, and was sent an incorrect part. I didn't realize it was incorrect, because it fit where it was supposed to, but it wasn't long enough to fully return the trigger to the correct position. While out at the range, I had a round go off when I closed the bolt. The gun was immediately unloaded and placed back in the case and not shot again until the spring was replaced with the correct one.

So I was wondering, have any of you ever had an AD? What were the circumstances?

Never had an AD.

I am right there with you on the definitions. Accidents are things like a tree limb falling on your car during a storm. A gun malfunctioning or breaking is an accident- if the shooter doesn't already know the gun's broken. An act of negligence is me backing into your car in a parking lot. As far as I'm concerned if the gun didn't break or malfunction, then it's the shooter's fault.

I had one AD or slam fire if you would.
Old sks rifle old dirty military surplus rounds.
All day at the range and a bunch or shots later. after 5 shots in of the 10 the rest of the 5 just went. hand off the trigger but they kept going.
Was scary as crap.

Never had one, have read about a bunch, did have one happen about 6' from me at a cookout, straight into the ground when the guy stood up.
It gets real quiet when things like that happen.

I think this falls under AD.

I am sworn to complete secrecy surrounding the details, but I was in a room with an individual who accidentally dropped a pistol. The hammer hit the floor and it discharged. I can't remember the exact model, but it was one that was supposed to have a hammer block, so it was a freak thing. My eyes got very big, we checked each other for bullet holes, and found the round had gone through the ceiling. We're talking a half inch of drywall, half inch of plywood, some insulation, another half inch of wood, corrugated roofing, and landed down the street God only knows where.

So when people in movies hide behind stuff to not get shot, I go, sure...that'll work. Or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back