Acceptable price for used Mossberg 500 (20ga)?

cartisdm

I have a guitar I'd like to sell. With that money I want to start a fun home defense/tactical shotgun build. What should I expect to pay for a used Mossberg 500? I don't care what the current stock or grip or barrel is because Mossberg sells an 18", smooth bore barrels in 20ga for around $65.

I figure once I get the base of the gun, I can gradually customize each part as I want. Thoughts?

Go to GunsAmerica, GunBroker, armslist--check out prices used and new. Many other sites give you a good rnage of prices of what is out there for purchase

I paid about $160 for mine - base model Mossberg 500 with 18.5 inch straight (not choked) barrel.

A word of advice...while it is tempting to build your shotgun up to be tac-ti-COOL...you should remember 2 things:

1) No matter how much or how little crap you have bolted onto it...it will shoot the same pattern for any given shell.

2) If you use it in self-defense, a zealous prosecutor decides there is enough evidence to try you. Would you rather the jury see a simple shotgun that looks like something they or a friend might hunt with? Or would you rather them see something they can picture on a SWAT cop or Terminator and ask, "What the hell does he have THAT for??"

I paid about $160 for mine - base model Mossberg 500 with 18.5 inch straight (not choked) barrel.

A word of advice...while it is tempting to build your shotgun up to be tac-ti-COOL...you should remember 2 things:

1) No matter how much or how little crap you have bolted onto it...it will shoot the same pattern for any given shell.

2) If you use it in self-defense, a zealous prosecutor decides there is enough evidence to try you. Would you rather the jury see a simple shotgun that looks like something they or a friend might hunt with? Or would you rather them see something they can picture on a SWAT cop or Terminator and ask, "What the hell does he have THAT for??"

$160, is that new? Even so, that's not a bad price at all since I know the Mossberg is a great gun. Per your #1 point, I agree with you. I already have a pistol by the bed that can also do the job. But we're all gun lovers here so I'm sure you can understand the fun in "upgrading" them. It's the same with a car. Anything with 4 wheels will get me to work, but why not throw in some fun upgrades to enjoy the commute? (Btw, I'm not implying I want to "enjoy" shooting any robbers or bad guys - EVER! I pray that day never, ever comes)

As for #2, I hadn't really considered that option. It seems like using that defense is like saying self-defensive rounds in your carry gun are for murdering people not defending yourself. I'll look into that more. Thanks for the insight!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back