A question to all those who reload...

BigSlick

Anyone ever use the Berry's hollow point plated bullets? Just wondering how they perform. 1000 cost 118.00 for the 180gr HP. If ammo gets hard to find as it has in the past, how good would these be in a SHTF scenario. I have used their round nose bullets for IDPA and USPSA competitions and they fly pretty well.

I cast my own and have used plated bullets. I really like them. They are a cross between cast and jacket bullets. You can get higher velocities from plated than you can get from cast. The best part is you get less leading in the barrel than cast bullets. If the SHTF what ever I have is better than having nothing! I'd say go for it. I think you'll like them...

I too think they work just fine. They expand really well and will get the job done. I believe that even though they are
plated that if you start pushing them out the barrel too fast that you will get some fouling. Rainier recommends that you
use lead bullet loading data rather than jacketed bullet loading data for just this reason. More bang for the buck though.

The lead inside the plating is fairly soft so they should expand well. When shooting them at steel plates, they flatten like a washer. I don't load them hot but use a moderate, consistent load. I wouldn't expect them to penetrate well through hard substances like wood.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back