A hello and a question or 2 :)

electriccowboy

Hello. I am new to the forum and hope to view and post often.
about half a year ago I and my wife received our conceal carry permits in Oklahoma.
I have been reading on the OSBI site trying to find out a few things.
maybe some one here knows the answer to my questions.

1) is it legal for a permit holder to conceal carry a firearm that is not reg. in his name?
I have bought a springfiled xdm from a friend so no paper work done on it.
(I do have a concealed carry weapon reg. to me just wondering if...)

2) is it unlawful in Oklahoma to enter a location where it is posted no concealed carry?
thats to say if the local walmart post a door sticker saying no concealed carry, would it be against the law to enter any way?

I have looked long and hard in the info on the OSBI site, and have come up empty.
please if you know where to find the answers let me know.

one note the only place I have been here in Enid where there is a sign posted on the door (no firearms aloud ) is where I work. (OG+E)

I am one of your friendly OG+E lineman :pleasantry:
thanks for any info.

Ok found out today from one of the Enid police that the firearm you carry does not have to be registered in your name.
But be sure it is not stolen. This means be sure of who you bought the firearm from.
I could not remember what the 2nd question was or I would have asked that also.:to_pick_ones_nose:

:sad: Yes, it is illegal to carry into a place that is posed with the dreaded no guns sign. The good thing is that they seem to be slowly disappearing over time. If I you read the actual law, dry and boring though it be, you will gain a better understanding of what kind of penalty they can levy against you. The owners can file criminal trespass charges. Below is from the law book on the OSBI site, I didn't copy the no guns in bars part as that should be common sense, guns and alcohol and or drugs don't mix... ever!

TITLE 21 § 1290.22. Business owner’s rights BUSINESS OWNER’S RIGHTS A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, nothing contained in any provision of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1 et seq. of this title, shall be construed to limit, restrict or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of any person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity to control the possession of weapons on any property owned or controlled by the person or business entity.

B. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall be permitted to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and storing firearms in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for any vehicle.

TITLE 21 § 1277. Unlawful carry in certain places UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed handgun into any of the following places:
1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;
2. Any meeting of any city, town, county, state or federal officials, school board members, legislative members, or any other elected or appointed officials;
3. Any prison, jail, detention facility or any facility used to process, hold, or house arrested persons, prisoners or persons alleged delinquent or adjudicated delinquent;
4. Any elementary or secondary school, or technology center school property;
5. Any sports arena during a professional sporting event;
6. Any place where pari-mutuel wagering is authorized by law; and
7. Any other place specifically prohibited by law.

B. For purposes of paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 of subsection A of this section, the prohibited place does not include and specifically excludes the following property:
1. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority,
2. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, by any entity offering any professional sporting event which is open to the public for admission, or by any entity engaged in pari-mutuel wagering authorized by law,
3. Any property adjacent to a structure, building, or office space in which concealed weapons are prohibited by the provisions of this section, and
4 Any property designated by a city, town, county, or state, governmental authority as a park, recreational area, or fairgrounds; provided nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to authorize any entry by a person in possession of a concealed handgun into any structure, building, or office space which is specifically prohibited by the provisions of subsection A of this section.

Nothing contained in any provision of this subsection shall be construed to authorize or allow any person in control of any place described in paragraph 1, 2, 3, 5 or 6 of subsection A of this section to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person in lawful possession of a concealed handgun license from possession of a handgun allowable under such license in places described in paragraph 1, 2, 3, or 4 of this subsection.
C. Any person violating the provisions of subsection A of this section shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00). Any person convicted of violating the provisions of this section may be liable for an administrative fine of Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00) upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this section.
D. No person in possession of any concealed handgun pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall be authorized to carry the handgun into or upon any college or university property, except as provided in this subsection. For purposes of this subsection, the following property shall not be construed as prohibited for persons having a valid concealed handgun license: 1. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, provided the handgun is carried or stored as required by law and the handgun is not removed from the vehicle without the prior consent of the college or university president while the vehicle is on any college or university property;
1. Any property authorized for possession or use of handguns by college or university policy; and 3. Any property authorized by the written consent of the college or university president, provided the written consent is carried with the handgun and the valid concealed handgun license while on college or university property. The college or university may notify the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation within ten (10) days of a violation of any provision of this subsection by a licensee. Upon receipt of a written notification of violation, the Bureau shall give a reasonable notice to the licensee and hold a hearing. At the hearing upon a determination that the licensee has violated any provision of this subsection, the licensee may be subject to an administrative fine of Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00) and may have the concealed handgun license suspended for three (3) months. Nothing contained in any provision of this subsection shall be construed to authorize or allow any college or university to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person in lawful possession of a concealed handgun license from possession of a handgun allowable under such license in places described in paragraphs 1, 2 and 3 of this subsection. Nothing contained in any provision of this subsection shall be construed to limit the authority of any college or university in this state from taking administrative action against any student for any violation of any provision of this subsection. E. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any peace officer or to any person authorized by law to carry a pistol in the course of employment. District judges, associate district judges and special district judges, who are in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act and whose names appear on a list maintained by the Administrative Director of the Courts, shall be exempt from this section when acting in the course and scope of employment within the courthouses of this state. Private investigators with a firearms authorization shall be exempt from this section when acting in the course and scope of employment.

I hope this helps.

Ok I see it now. why was I missing it the last 100 times I read the law.

TITLE 21 § 1290.22. Business owner’s rights BUSINESS OWNER’S RIGHTS A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, nothing contained in any provision of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1 et seq. of this title, shall be construed to limit, restrict or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of any person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity to control the possession of weapons on any property owned or controlled by the person or business entity.

subsection B states the property owner cannot prohibit the transport and storage of a weapon in a locked vehicle (The Parking Lot law).

Thanks for the info (clear as mud)
looks like if you find a sign like that then one should disarm or just go down the road to another store. :pleasantry:

As an Oklahoma CCW instructor I can tell you NO, you may not carry into the building if it is posted on or within 25ft (I think) of the door. As for a gun not registered to you? Guns are not registered to a person. When you buy a gun and they do the back ground check it is for the sale of (long gun or hand gun) and the ATF IS NOT given the make, model or serial. Now it is true that the information is kept at the store. But as a former cop of 10 years I can tell you that information is NOT included in a triple I (Interstate, intrastate & interpole, this is what a cop asks for when in contact with you and they call dispatch for your record) That’s the long answer, but you can carry any weapon (16” or less, .45 or less, manufactured to be fired with one hand) as long as it is not stolen and registered NCIC as such.

If I see a No Guns sign, I'll either leave my gun in the car or, better yet, move on to another store. I'll take no chances of losing my CC permit.

Hello from a PSO lineman or exlineman, I work as an Engineer now. On to the question and I just wanted to make myself clear on this issue, is it not legal to carry into a premise that has a no gun posting? They can always just ask you to leave, but how would they know? My instructor told our class to just act like you didnt see it, "Oh sorry, I will take it outside now". Kind of like, No shoes, no shirt, no service policy? I completely understand about schools, government buildings, bars, etc.

In my opinion (not worth much), it isn't UNLAWFUL to carry into a business with a "no guns" sign because that is only a policy that a private business has adopted (not statute). Now if they ascertain that you are carrying and ask you to leave, I think you must comply with that request as they are the owner of the private property.

This statement of opinion doesn't apply to those places listed in the SDA as prohibited places. If you are caught carrying in those places you will most likely go to jail.

That being said, if you work at the particular place of business (OG&E) and it is posted then that is a different story because they are your employer and could be terminated for violating company policy (but you already knew that)

As an Oklahoma CCW instructor I can tell you NO, you may not carry into the building if it is posted on or within 25ft (I think) of the door. As for a gun not registered to you? Guns are not registered to a person. When you buy a gun and they do the back ground check it is for the sale of (long gun or hand gun) and the ATF IS NOT given the make, model or serial. Now it is true that the information is kept at the store. But as a former cop of 10 years I can tell you that information is NOT included in a triple I (Interstate, intrastate & interpole, this is what a cop asks for when in contact with you and they call dispatch for your record) That’s the long answer, but you can carry any weapon (16” or less, .45 or less, manufactured to be fired with one hand) as long as it is not stolen and registered NCIC as such.

There is nothing in the statutes that mention a certain distance from the door. The "dreaded sign" would apply to inside of the building only. The III you speak of stands for Interstate Identification Index and is not a routine thing any officer asks for. The record can't be given over the radio anyway, only a response as to whether someone is listed there or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back