1st Time Carrying. Practicing in Public.

Spenary

I am 65 days into my wait for my first CC license. I have purchased a couple of different holsters for different styles of concealed carry. At home I've tried them on and worn my Glock around the house to get used to wearing the extra equipment. I took out my firearm and went to the grocery store to pick up a few things. Man! It really felt strange walking around with everybody. I know I'm not actually carrying, but I'm still feeling the holster and getting a pretty good Idea of what it's going to feel like standing in line at the checkout with a Glock on. Its a secret from the people around me. This is an unfamiliar feeling.
Any tips for a first timer while I'm still waiting for my license?

Think about a decent belt. A sturdy belt with torsional stiffness helps with distributing the weight.

Think about how to carry an extra magazine (or two).

Think about taking a training class. Just because you will be getting your permission slip from the government to carry a firearm, doesn't mean you will be able to actually defend yourself with it.

Practice, practice, practice. Practice drawing your gun and shooting at a threat. This can be done with an unloaded firearm at home or with a loaded one at the range. Remember, the threat may be shooting at you, coming at you with a knife, or holding a family member hostage. Go to the range regularly and practice. Don't shoot yourself! Aim small, miss small. Again, take some training.

Often overlooked, think about emergency medical training and equipment. Do you know how to use a tourniquet, especially one-handed? Also, an Israeli Bandage Battle Dressing is probably the best emergency compression bandage.

Getting use to carrying will come with time. After while you will only be semi conscious of carrying. You know it's there but don't really pay a lot of attention to it. Not drawing attention to it is what you need to achieve. I have been carrying for years, and the problem with me is if I have to go somewhere, where I can't carry, I feel naked without it.

Good way to start. I have a few boxes with holsters. First handgun 1973, last gun Glock 22 Gen 4, lots of holsters.

I am 65 days into my wait for my first CC license. I have purchased a couple of different holsters for different styles of concealed carry. At home I've tried them on and worn my Glock around the house to get used to wearing the extra equipment. I took out my firearm and went to the grocery store to pick up a few things. Man! It really felt strange walking around with everybody. I know I'm not actually carrying, but I'm still feeling the holster and getting a pretty good Idea of what it's going to feel like standing in line at the checkout with a Glock on. Its a secret from the people around me. This is an unfamiliar feeling.

Think about taking a training class.

Go to the range regularly and practice. Don't shoot yourself! Aim small, miss small. Again, take some training.

Often overlooked, think about emergency medical training and equipment. Do you know how to use a tourniquet, especially one-handed? Also,

I must say "Don't shoot yourself!" is some really good advice. And knowing how to save yourself if you do, is a responsible follow up. No one else has brought this up.

I have had some firearms training and have an emergency medical certification. I'm not new to firearms at all. Just carrying one around hidden on me in public.
Learning to draw a concealed weapon will be new to me, also. Not shooting myself will be my number one concern. Then accuracy and speed.

To not shoot yourself follow the redundant safety rules. If you don't handle your gun in a negligent fashion you will not discharge it (shooting yourself or the toilet below you).

From my personal experience, you the carrier will be more concerned about your gun then anyone around you. And, as long as you conceal properly, no one is going to know you have it on you. And if you don't conceal properly, most won't even notice.

Think about a decent belt. A sturdy belt with torsional stiffness helps with distributing the weight.

Think about how to carry an extra magazine (or two).

Think about taking a training class. Just because you will be getting your permission slip from the government to carry a firearm, doesn't mean you will be able to actually defend yourself with it.

Practice, practice, practice. Practice drawing your gun and shooting at a threat. This can be done with an unloaded firearm at home or with a loaded one at the range. Remember, the threat may be shooting at you, coming at you with a knife, or holding a family member hostage. Go to the range regularly and practice. Don't shoot yourself! Aim small, miss small. Again, take some training.

Often overlooked, think about emergency medical training and equipment. Do you know how to use a tourniquet, especially one-handed? Also, an Israeli Bandage Battle Dressing is probably the best emergency compression bandage.
Rendering first aid to someone you just had to shoot will also help you in court :)

Man! It really felt strange walking around with everybody. I know I'm not actually carrying, but I'm still feeling the holster and getting a pretty good Idea of what it's going to feel like standing in line at the checkout with a Glock on. Its a secret from the people around me. This is an unfamiliar feeling.

Are you getting a thrill from being armed? If so, you might want to re-think if you are really ready to carry a firearm.

Rendering first aid to someone you just had to shoot will also help you in court :)

Not necessarily. A bad shot doesn't suddenly become a good shot because you rendered medical aid to the person you shot. The opposite may actually happen.

The primary reason for emergency medical training and equipment is to provide immediate help for yourself, your family and any other victims to keep you and others in the fight and to bridge the gap until professional medical aid is available.

Trieage

Tr
Not necessarily. A bad shot doesn't suddenly become a good shot because you rendered medical aid to the person you shot. The opposite may actually happen.

The primary reason for emergency medical training and equipment is to provide immediate help for yourself, your family and any other victims to keep you and others in the fight and to bridge the gap until professional medical aid is available.

Are you getting a thrill from being armed? If so, you might want to re-think if you are really ready to carry a firearm.

I wouldn't describe my feeling in that situation as a thrill. More awkward or like stage fright. I felt like I was trying to act "normal", but acting normal feels like acting. I'll get used to it with some time.

I can relate to how you feel. It's just being self conscious about doing something you haven't done before - you're carrying a gun and you think everyone will know. I remember when i first walked into a walmart carrying concealed - I was carrying in a concealed carry fanny pack at my abdomen, and I was positive everyone would know I had a gun in there. But... no one even gave me or the fanny pack a second glance. Having your holster on with no gun in it when you go out in public until you get your permit might be an ok idea. You'll quickly see that no one knows but you. After carrying a few weeks I became aware that most people are pretty oblivious to how I'm dressed, what I have in my pocket, under my shirt, etc.

You might look at how other's are dressed when you're out in public and see how they might be carrying or try to decide if they are carrying. You'll see many who you think could be carrying, but you'll also quickly realize that it's hard to tell if they are or not. The same holds true if someone is looking at - they might see a little bulge or not, but they'll have no clue what it is.

Don't do anything special, don't fall for the "wal-mart walk" nonsense.

When you get your permit, you merely have one more thing to put on before your leave the house. Do that and go about your day as if you didn't have a gun on your person.

No, it will not. Call 911, secure the scene from outsiders, remain aware, do not approach the downed perp. You shot him for a reason. It's that reason that will convict you or keep you free, not rendering first-aid. 35 years as a prosecutor and criminal defense attorney tells me to stay away. Consider your actions AFTER the shooting are subject to a civil suit unrelated to the actual incident. If you try to render first aid and actually further harm the perp you're getting sued even in states the block civil actions when there's no conviction. Rendering first-aid is a second incident. It is separate from the shooting incident.

I would hope he is getting a thrill from being armed, because it is quite the thrill. Each I strap on my heater and go out into the world, I feel like King Kong, like Superman, I could pick someone up and throw them a million miles.

I would hope he is getting a thrill from being armed, because it is quite the thrill. Each I strap on my heater and go out into the world, I feel like King Kong, like Superman, I could pick someone up and throw them a million miles.

You were gone a week 'handling business'.... no internet in the psyche ward?

Superman would just let bullets bounce off his body but then duck when the empty gun was thrown at him.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back