1st time carrying concealed today...

New CHL holder as of this week down on the border in Texas. Carried yesterday in HEB, Springfield Micro Compact 1911 in Galco IWB. Wasn't too bad, even stopped and flip through all the gun mags. Did occasionally check that my shirt is draped Ok without hanging up on the butt...the holster did ride really high!

Bravo to you, brother! Welcome to the ranks. It does my heart good to have another sheepdog out there. If there's one thing I would advise it is that you actively seek to keep your awareness level high. Condition yellow, 24-7. A little on yourself, but mostly on your environment. Because getting yourself and your loved ones out of a bad spot before it gets worse is the best outcome possible. Be safe, brother.

Wow, great discussion guys. I am about to start carrying concealed as soon as my permit comes in the mail. I hope to God I never need to use my weapon, but I want to be prepared. I have a few holsters I have purchased over the course of the last few weeks. LOL, oh well, I guess I need to check out at least one more. Thanks for having me.

I just received my ccw on Friday and started carrying that day. I took my Mom to my Aunts house yesterday wearing my M&P 40 and she had no idea that I had it. I have to get used to carrying it, I feel like it is making my pants sag so I keep pulling them back up. I have a cross breed super tuck, it came in the same weekend that I got my ccw.

I just received my ccw on Friday and started carrying that day. I took my Mom to my Aunts house yesterday wearing my M&P 40 and she had no idea that I had it. I have to get used to carrying it, I feel like it is making my pants sag so I keep pulling them back up. I have a cross breed super tuck, it came in the same weekend that I got my ccw.

Three parts to a good carry set up:

1) Good carry gun
2) Quality Holster
3) QUALITY BELT

Welcome to concealed carry..lesson one: get a better belt. Unless you're wearing a shoulder rig, or an ankle holster, you need a good belt to hold up you britches..lol. You can't go on a journey through self defense land with sagging pants if your packing. Lesson two..try not to touch it through your clothes...people can pick up on it, and all you need is some crazy A hole saying "I saw a gun". Lesson Three...When at home, UNLOAD CHECK CHECK AGAIN and practice, practice, practice your draws. Know how your clothing reacts when your tryin to grab in a hurry. SAFETY FIRST!!! Carry, defend, Live...its that simple. Be safe out there. Carry on.

hey, so how do u like the Glock 23? I have a Glock 19 Gen 4. I just got it a few months ago. I've got about 350 or so rounds through it so far and I really like it. I almost went with the G23, but I've been carrying 9mm all along so far, and I've really grown to like 9's. So far the only .40's I've shot were a S&W and the Sig P226. I don't really care for either. The S&W kicked like a mule, and the Sig didn't have much "felt" recoil, but still a lot of muzzle rise compared to a 9mm. That's why I stayed with the G19 when I picked up my first Glock. I did shoot my brother's Glock 30, and I really enjoyed that. I couldn't believe how steady those sights stayed on the target. Rapid shots were easy, even compared to my G19. I get tempted every now and then to switch up to the .45 just because of that, but I'm not sure if I'd like carrying the extra bulk. Thoughts??

i got my permit in the mail yesterday...but i'm not going to wally world any time soon.....so my first store will probably be the liquor store to buy some smokes and home depot to get a small lightbulb and do my usual garden department walk.....i can never go into a home depot and not browse their garden department. am planning to do those errands at some point today......unless it rains or i procrastinate and go tomorrow .......and i'll let you know to what degree i get self conscious about hiding my secret in public........it would be easier if my guns butt wasn't so big....double stack mag. i've tried on different clothes at home and while bending certain ways there is a noticeable bulge regardless of what i'm wearing..... so i will keep that in mind whilst taking time to smell the flowers

I felt like my zipper was down the first time I carried. I was stressing about being arrested, dropping the pistol, and tripping. I have carried for a year now and sometimes find myself printing but no longer care. I went to my sons baseball practice and played first base, my Glock was hanging out all over the place because my tshirt kept flying up and none of the parents or coaches said anything. What are you carrying and where on your body? I am in Colorado so printing isn't that big of deal being OC is legal.

florida advises against printing but so long it's not a total print or exposed some how......we are pretty much ok here ....there is no way i can carry without that bump or lump under my shirt when i bend certain positions so i'll just try to be careful when i go out not to be made easily and should be ok........
i may have my first concealed in public experience today if i can quit procrastinating getting my errands run .....and not because of the gun but i usually don't go shopping unless i really really have to .......like getting smokes or groceries......and i need to go get both and see about a tiny lightbulb i need for my lamp too....

florida advises against printing but so long it's not a total print or exposed some how......we are pretty much ok here ....there is no way i can carry without that bump or lump under my shirt when i bend certain positions so i'll just try to be careful when i go out not to be made easily and should be ok........
i may have my first concealed in public experience today if i can quit procrastinating getting my errands run .....and not because of the gun but i usually don't go shopping unless i really really have to .......like getting smokes or groceries......and i need to go get both and see about a tiny lightbulb i need for my lamp too....
You better do some more research. Cause printing is no longer a real issue, nor is accidental exposure in Florida. Thank Gov. Scott for Signing that into law.

F.S. 790.053 was amended by SB234, and now allows a CWP holder to “briefly and openly” display their firearm if not done in “an angry or threatening manner”bunless in necessary self defense. This should put to rest the concerns about inadvertent “printing”, and brief , but careful display of a concealed firearm. The rest of the “open carry” law was voted down.

Link Removed

After "practicing" around the house for a month or so, I finally got up the nerve to go out into public armed...

The family and I made a run to a local country fair today and well, thankfully, it was very uneventful. It was a battle of nerves more than anything. I'd be lying if I was not just a little paranoid I was printing...like every 2 minutes.

Does anyone else remember their first time carrying concealed? Were you a little self conscious? Any advice or experience out there for first timers just getting used to the armed lifestyle?

Well, imagine that! today is my first time carrying too.

I'm carrying a Glock21 in a IWB Crossbreed Supertuck. I've had the holster for about a month so I've been wearing it around the house.

Picked up my permit this morning and did the 'wally walk'. Very self conscience at first, but it didn't take long to wear off. I did find myself checking to make sure my shirt was pulled down. I bent down to get something off a lower shelf and had a 'oh sh**' moment, but I didn't flash or anything, just my paranoia.

It was a little different walking out the door of my house with my gun still strapped on! I don't think it will take me long to not give it a second thought.

Congrats,
Brian

heheh i did mine today too but i have been wearing my rig around my house and yard for the last month as well so i'm comfortable in it and with it out concealed on my person in public......i went to the corner store for some smokes and the grocery store today........i still have to go to home depot for my tiny lightbulb but will feel just as comfortable there as i did today .....i'm still wearing the rig as i type can't even feel it while i'm sitting and it was good while driving and seatbelted in i can still make a quick draw.........i'm definitely going to get a good gun belt and holster like this rig i borrowed though it works perfect for me.....so now that i have my permit i will most likely carry as often as i can ... esp at night

Though I've been carrying a long time, there's still that consciousness of "strapping on" when I slip my pistol either into my pocket or onto a belt. I am aware of what an awesome right and responsibilty this action entails. Other than war or work, there's never been a time (well, one teeny tiny time) when the need to unholster has occured. Not a church-goer, yet I pray everyday that the pistol stays put, even though I've practiced and practiced--mind and body.

Great to read these posts. I've got my cert but still have to go for the permit. I def need to get a decent belt since a lot of my pants don't fit great around my waist (curvy figure LOL) and I can see it now...me tugging them up constantly! I've got a 38sp bodyguard revolver with a leather pocket holster but will be getting an IWB here soon. I've been reading up on the gun laws for my state and surrounding (those I regularly travel thru). Have been looking at Ruger LCPs for a while now and think that would be a perfect size for my small frame and help me not worry about printing.

Thanks for the great advice!
Dawn

From the date on your post I assume you have been carrying for a little over 10 months now. I too, was a little self conscious the first time I carried in public but the nervousness did not last long. I hope that you also lost all the negativity while carrying because after all your safety and the safety of your loved ones and others is what really matters. The world we live in would be a MUCH safer place if all the concerned gun owners would get their permits and actually carry.

I've never really been nervous about carrying, or nervous about printing. If I print, I print....main thing for me is does it stay concealed.

I've never really been nervous about carrying, or nervous about printing. If I print, I print....main thing for me is does it stay concealed.

It really depends on what State you live in. In Michigan I don't worry since open carry is legal it really doesn't matter if you print or even expose your weapon. You can open carry in many places where you can't carry concealed if you have a CPL. I do like to keep it concealed though.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back