jerry12

i hear a lot of talk about the 1911 so what is so good about it ? what advanage does the 1911 have over other gun's ? :confused:

The 1911 is the safest firearm around. With 3 safety systems in place. That being said, when cocked and locked with one in the chamber it can be deployed quickly and efficiently. I carried one as an M.P. They are bulldogs and will hold up. I have a Kimber Gold Combat 2 and a Springfield TRP. If a BG does get your gun away from you, chances are they will not know how to fire it. Giving you a chance to pull your backup weapon and put the threat down. The .45 cal. provides the best tissue damage and bleed out chances. Put them down quick and permanently.

1911 .45 and the HI Power 9mm are two of the finest designs ( both Browning )... I love my Hi Power inspired CZ75 decocker.. I can say the CZ is nicely Balanced, very easy kick, nice tight grouping... I would love to have the knock down of the .45 in my 9mm.. Both designs have stood the test of history and time...

Many folks, including myself like the ergonomics of the platform as well as it being an inherently easy platform to shoot well.

Balance, weight, .45 horse power, an abundance of after market custom parts and accessories, a long history of meritorious service and it comes in damned near every flavor. What else is there?

It's a classic. It's so well proven that 100 years after it came out many people still depend on it. On a practical side, it's a 45 ACP which I probably don't need to explain much about and it's pretty accurate with a standard 5" barrel. It can be had very inexpensively or upgraded almost indefinetely to anybody's desire. It works as a carry gun (albeit a large one), can be fine tuned into a tack driver for the range or shot at competitions. There's just a lot you can do with this design.

For me personally they fit my hand/shooting style the best. In my previous line of work I got to shoot dang near every sidearm made so I had the chance most folks never get, to see what truly fit me. Though Glocks are reliable and accurate they do not fit my hand well no matter what model I have tried and I have tried them all, same goes for most other makes and models. Ol' Slab Sides just "fits".
I have two 1911's, one is an Enhanced Colt the other is a Springfield Armory MC Operator. Since getting the Operator the Colt has been retired as basically a Safe Queen though. I like the forged, heavier frame on the Operator more. No, I am not a large individual, only 5'8" and 190 lbs but in the cooler weather with a covering garment concealing this is not an issue. Of course a proper gun belt and holster makes the world of difference in carrying comfort for any sidearm.
I personally do not OC unless it's around the yard, of course I have one neighbor who flashes me "The Look" every time HA HA. The folks on the other side of me just smile and mind their own business. That is a personal choice and I have no issues with those who do OC. That is their right and choice.

what advantage does the 1911 have over other gun's ?

Someone near you likely has several. Get your hands on one, and go shoot it. Then you'll know.

It's interesting that every "best" pistol is always compared to the 1911. Too bad the 1911 has only been so popular for 100 years.

The 1911 design was a major game changer in the history of guns and continues to be one of the most popular and effective weapons 100 years later.

The Glock in the major game changer of today. Look at all of the other guns that have copied many of the features and advantages of the Glock. Only time will tell if the same holds true 100 years later.

For me I have both. However, the Glocks are collecting dust while the 1911's are part of my every day carry. I cut my teeth on the 1911's over 30 years ago. I still prefer them over the plastic types.

I've been a 1911 fan for 40 years, but I would have a Glock if they didn't feel like a brick in my hands...

The Glock line of pistols is far superior to the 1911 design.

That is a matter of opinion. I have owned and used the 1911 for many years. It is a good pistol and can survive all kinds of mistreatment. I went to the Glock 23 for my carry weapon because I have arthritis in my hands now and it is easier for me to handle. I would rate them both equally for dependability but I like the Glock's ability to carry more ammunition. However, different strokes for different folks.

Too many people argue about what is best and what is not. I think some handguns have some advantages over others in certain areas, but really it is up to the shooter and what they like. I have a friend who thinks Hi-Point handguns are great. He has about four of them and says they always go bang and their weight help tame recoil. To bad they look like a cordless drill, but to him they are perfect. The 1911 is a fine pistol, but maybe not to everyone. JMHO.

For me, the biggest plus is that 1911's have single-stack magazines. As a result, they fit my hand better. I love shooting my Kimber UC II.

I've been a 1911 fan for 40 years, but I would have a Glock if they didn't feel like a brick in my hands...
If I want to shoot something that feels like a brick, I'll go have fun with the M-10 and 30 rounds of .45ACP. It just doesn't conceal as well as the 1911 or 645.

The Glock line of pistols is far superior to the 1911 design.

I hear this comparison a lot and it is, to be honest, not very well thought out. Here is why:

Glock pistols are made by Glock. All Glock pistols. Every Glock is like every other Glock of that same model except for engineering changes, which are controlled by Glock. Therefore any Glock should be a good representation of a Glock.

The 1911 is a type of design. They are made by the following companies:
Colt
Springfield Armory
Kimber
Remington
Smith and Wesson
Taurus
Sig-Sauer
AMT
Armscore/Rock Island Armory
Wilson Combat
Les Baer
Nighthawk Customs
Llama (may be out of production)
Auto-Ordnance
Para-Ordnance

And a gazillion custom gun makers worldwide, all with varying degrees of success. Each of the manufactuers has found new and unique ways to either make their version of the 1911 even better or screw it up royally.

So, to make the comparison you make it would have to be comparing a Glock to a Taurus 1911 (which imo Glock would win) or a Wilson Combat 1911 (which imo Glock would lose) or a Colt 1911 (which I have no idea what would happen). Besides, the design is 100 years old and we are having this discussion. I haven't seen many "Which is better - the Glock or the Luger" threads so this speaks to how great the 1911 truly is.

The 1911 is a great weapon system. It is still in use today (100 years after it was first designed) by MEU/SOC and several law enforcement agencies, as well as millions of shooters. Breaking one is almost impossible unless you do something REALLY stupid. That said it has to be made right. I had a Springfield Armory 1911 that was an absolute heap of cr#p -the thing never would run right. I finally sold it at a loss. That said I was at a local gun shop this weekend drooling over a Kimber.

BTW - calling a gun that has been in continual use for 100 years a "Delorean" doesn't give you any credibility with anyone here.

You forgot Singer, yes the same company that makes sewing machines. If you can get your hands on, you are extremely lucky as they are very rare.

I was only naming (to the best of my knowledge) current manufacturers. I'm sure I left some out and some of the ones I named are no longer making 1911s. Singer, like a lot of companies including Ingersoll-Rand and International Harvester, made guns for the military during WWII. One brand in particular (Remington-Rand I think) is in very high demand now. That part doesn't make much difference though because as I understand it the WWII guns were all made to the original 1911A1 specs. Now they make versions with all kinds of differences.

And having taken a sewing machine apart, I can tell you that any company that can make that mess work can probably make a pretty good firearm. The problem is that most people that have those know what they are worth and are pricing them accordingly.

The 1911 is the safest firearm around. With 3 safety systems in place. That being said, when cocked and locked with one in the chamber it can be deployed quickly and efficiently. I carried one as an M.P. They are bulldogs and will hold up. I have a Kimber Gold Combat 2 and a Springfield TRP. If a BG does get your gun away from you, chances are they will not know how to fire it. Giving you a chance to pull your backup weapon and put the threat down. The .45 cal. provides the best tissue damage and bleed out chances. Put them down quick and permanently.

Mechanical devices can and do fail. Sometimes what appears to be the safest firearm is the most dangerous.
One must keep in mind that the 1911 is meant to be carried chambered, hammer locked fully rearward, and the manual safety engaged. Carrying chambered and hammer rearward is in and of itself a safety violation, technically.

The 1911 is a like it or hate it pistol. Once someone gives you the chance to fire one that fits your hand (and personna), you'll be in love with the 1911 for a long time. Remember one major rule with the 1911, once you start modding the pistol it doesn't stop. I've had 3 custom 1911's built over the years and I regret the builds as well as parting with each one.

Thus far, the one I miss the most was a 25 year old Springfield Milspec with a beautiful mirror black finish (blued over stainless and acid washed was how it was described to me). That pistol sat in someone's gun safe for almost 25 years. Of all of the 1911's I've had, that was the one I should have never parted with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back