PA Non-resident permits

gantaro

Nov 13, 2013. I just talked to a clerk at Sheriff Nau's office (Centre County), because I had received a notice I had to appear in person to renew my permit. She said that was a change in state law. She also said PA would recognize the llinois carry permits when they (finally) are issued, but my FOID card was good now for concealed carry in PA. Because the FOID card requirements would get me a permit in 20 or so states, I guess.

I am concerned that you may have been misinformed. An FOID is not a "carry permit", and this clerks opinion
won't carry any weight against that of a law enforcement officer, DA, or judge.

Get a carry permit/license. Get one from Illinois, get one from PA, or possible one from Utah, which PA will
honor but you won't have to travel to obtain it. You should be aware that a Utah or even Illinois permit will
not satisfy the requirements of the federal 1000' Gun Free School Zone Act, but most folks aren't real concerned
about that. I am unaware of any prosecutions under the GFSZA, but it's something to be aware of.

Do you ever travel to PA? If so, you may be able to arrange to mail in a completed application to Sheriff Nau's office
a month or so before your trip to PA, and then just pick it up while you're here. Many Counties are allowing exactly
this so folks only have to make one in-person trip to the Sheriff's Office. If he won't do it there are others that will,
like mine for example (York County). In fact, the renewal I have right in front of me specifically tells me to do it this
way. The law does indeed require you to appear in person, but the statute doesn't require that you appear twice.

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/illi...rm-news/41293-illinois-foid-pennsylvania.html

My response was in your other post that you started. It still is true. The FOID does not give you a permit... even if it did, IL permits are not accepted in PA. Read my post on your other thread for links to show this is true.

And yes, you must appear in person for your licensing here in PA. I echo Curmudgeon's response that you may want to contact the Sheriff to see if mailing in your app is acceptable.

Quick question to all. Time to renew my Pa non-resident permit. I will actually in Pa in June in the Tioga county but after calling their Sheriffs office they do not do non-resident permits anymore.(their choice) Any other Sheriffs offices close by that are non resident friendly. Coming to ride and sight see the PA Grand Canyon from North to South. Figure I could print off app and have it ready to go. Any help would be appreciated.

Quick question to all. Time to renew my Pa non-resident permit. I will actually in Pa in June in the Tioga county but after calling their Sheriffs office they do not do non-resident permits anymore.(their choice) Any other Sheriffs offices close by that are non resident friendly. Coming to ride and sight see the PA Grand Canyon from North to South. Figure I could print off app and have it ready to go. Any help would be appreciated.

This should help: Firearm/Gun Information for Each Pennsylvania County

Also, you will want to sent that renewal in and then they will send you a card to bring in to have your picture taken. At least this is what I had to do as a resident. I've been told by the Sheriff's dept., the same is true for non-residents. Find a county on that list that is friendly to NR (non-residents) and call them as to their specific protocol.

This should help: Firearm/Gun Information for Each Pennsylvania County

Also, you will want to sent that renewal in and then they will send you a card to bring in to have your picture taken. At least this is what I had to do as a resident. I've been told by the Sheriff's dept., the same is true for non-residents. Find a county on that list that is friendly to NR (non-residents) and call them as to their specific protocol.

^Yes, I know York county works that way, and I have *heard* York does nonresident apps, although they are all supposed to and have no authority to refuse that I am aware of.
I wish I could rattle off a list of those that do, especially in the western part of the state.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Oh, and you will have to appear in person at least once. They want your picture in their new system, or some such.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Will do my research beforehand to see what counties I will be traveling through and which are Non-resident friendly. I have always used centre county in the past but with the new rules and having to appear in person. Two counties that I am traveling through have in no uncertain terms told me they DO NOT renew nonresident. Tioga county and Clinton.

As a Delaware resident, I went to Lancaster County and having checked online what is required including $20, I had my plastic (no more paper) NR permit in hand in twenty minutes. Very cordial, helpful and friendly. Time it takes will depend on how many are ahead of you. Between Delaware and Pennsylvania, I may drop my Arizona permit and definitely will drop Virginia. Only other choice I would make at this point is Utah.

I am a resident of NJ. I hold a non-resident Utah permit. As of 7/11/2014, PA does not accept non-resident Utah permits (among others...). I want to apply for a non-resident PA permit but I get conflicting information. One source told me it's the same as applying for a resident permit (except for the fee amount). Other source told me that since NJ has a "may issue" CCW permit program, PA requires that I submit a copy of my NJ CCW permit along with the rest of the PA CCW application paperwork. Which is correct?

I am a resident of NJ. I hold a non-resident Utah permit. As of 7/11/2014, PA does not accept non-resident Utah permits (among others...). I want to apply for a non-resident PA permit but I get conflicting information. One source told me it's the same as applying for a resident permit (except for the fee amount). Other source told me that since NJ has a "may issue" CCW permit program, PA requires that I submit a copy of my NJ CCW permit along with the rest of the PA CCW application paperwork. Which is correct?
I am unaware of any difference is fees, $20. The license is the same. It is a PA LTCF for short, there is no non resident license, the only non resident part is the person holding it. The difference in the process is that PA statutes do require you to have a carry license/permit from your home state, provided your state issues them, and NJ does however rare that happens to be.

I have heard rumors that some, or maybe one, PA sheriff issues to NJ residents without a NJ permit, but I have no knowledge as to the truth of this. It sounds a bit spectacular as it is in violation of PA law.

There is a bill in our House for PA to accept all his permits held by nonresidents. It would be nice, and good for business, if this should pass, but we are not there yet.

Thanks for the responses and apologies for just now seeing them. though born and raised in PA, I don't get back to PA very much now after my sister moved to Montana. I appreciate the info provided.

Just heard today that Lancaster County Sheriffs Office will no longer be issuing PA non-resident concealed carry permits. What's up with that? They were the place to go for most people in Delaware, Northeastern Maryland, and Eastern Shore Virginia.

Just heard today that Lancaster County Sheriffs Office will no longer be issuing PA non-resident concealed carry permits. What's up with that? They were the place to go for most people in Delaware, Northeastern Maryland, and Eastern Shore Virginia.

Apparently the new policy cause quite a stir. This screen shot was taken from Facebook and has been making the rounds across multiple forums...

Link Removed

The policy against non-resident CC Licenses has already been taken down!

Link Removed

Now THAT'S service! :wink:

Does PA recognize nonresident NH carry permits? I live in Mass., and have a Mass LTC with "Restrictions: None", plus a nonresident New Hampshire Pistol & Revolver License allowing me to CC in NH. (I also have NR carry license in Maine, but that's probably irrelevant to this discussion.)

Link Removed, and the language seems kind of vague as to whether NR NH permits will be honored.

The preamble to the agreement says:

"WHEREAS, the purpose of this Reciprocity Agreement is to extend reciprocal concealed firearm carry permit/license privileges to the citizens of the State of New Hampshire and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania,..."

But, the first paragraph of the body says,

"The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize valid New Hampshire permits to carry concealed firearms by valid permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania."

And the third paragraph states,

"This Reciprocity Agreement applies only to the carrying of firearms by valid license/permit holders from respective states and not to any other types of weapons."

Okay, so, third paragraph: does that refer to a *person* from New Hampshire, or to a person holding a carry permit issued by the State of NH regardless of where the person is from? And the preamble, which mentions "citizens of NH" would seem to be in conflict with the first paragraph, which recognizes all permits issued by NH.

Halp.

If you look at the entire agreement, the enumerated paragraphs define the agreement between NH and PA. Enumerated paragraph 1, states that permit holders from NH (with no regards to their citizenship) are considered valid while carrying in PA as long as their permits are valid. You're good to go. Also, check out the reciprocity maps here on this site. They concur with this interpretation of the reading as well.

The paragraph that mentions citizenship explains why the two states entered into a reciprocal agreement in the first place, to extend reciprocity between the citizens of both states... great, but what is covered in the agreement is within the enumerated paragraphs. When states put limitations to only citizens from the state the permit is issued, they will make it very clear in the verbiage of the agreement

I hope this helps... and as always, I am not a lawyer, and my statements should not be ruled the letter of law. If this answer does not satiate you, please contact a lawyer.

Does PA recognize nonresident NH carry permits? I live in Mass., and have a Mass LTC with "Restrictions: None", plus a nonresident New Hampshire Pistol & Revolver License allowing me to CC in NH. (I also have NR carry license in Maine, but that's probably irrelevant to this discussion.)

Link Removed, and the language seems kind of vague as to whether NR NH permits will be honored.

The preamble to the agreement says:

"WHEREAS, the purpose of this Reciprocity Agreement is to extend reciprocal concealed firearm carry permit/license privileges to the citizens of the State of New Hampshire and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania,..."

But, the first paragraph of the body says,

"The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize valid New Hampshire permits to carry concealed firearms by valid permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania."

And the third paragraph states,

"This Reciprocity Agreement applies only to the carrying of firearms by valid license/permit holders from respective states and not to any other types of weapons."

Okay, so, third paragraph: does that refer to a *person* from New Hampshire, or to a person holding a carry permit issued by the State of NH regardless of where the person is from? And the preamble, which mentions "citizens of NH" would seem to be in conflict with the first paragraph, which recognizes all permits issued by NH.

Halp.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back