The EMP Threat

There has been considerable talk about EMP strikes but not a lot has been said how one can defend sensitive equipment from being fried. There is a lot of material on here about Faraday cages that will protect electronics and instructions on their construction. Depending on what you want to keep safe, a cage can be relatively simple to make. I made one some time ago to store batteries and ham radio equipment in and it works like a charm. They are easy to test just using cell phones and a good way to store extra equipment, if one is interested.
And would one assume that this event would happen JUST prior to the 2016 elections??????

Oh, not to worry - The EMP Commission, which was established by Congress in 2008 is all over this - not!
Frankly, EMP is an extremely broad term - the pulse wavelengths can be anywhere from DC to EHF, whether naturally or artificially produced. This makes it almost impossible to feasibly protect discrete electronics because shunting such a pulse requires knowing its approximate wavelength and building the shunt antenna, accordingly. Any program designed to protect a modern nation's infrastructure from EMP is futile - certainly not economically possible.
This is my educated opinion.

Last edited:
I have 2 soup cans and a ball of long string!!!! :sarcastic: Al joking aside, the way the whole world is wired together and hooked on our electronic toys it will be very BAD if or when this happens. The young people who have grown up on their "smart" phones, iPads and such will most likely go out of their minds! The movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still" will come true!

I do not believe any one can imagine the worse case scenario!

It won't be zombies due to infection of a virus. It'll be hungry zombies roving the cities and country side looking for those that "HAVE". Very, very real possibilities. None of us will have the fire power nor ammunition to hold off all. A few that live off the grid way back in the interior may have a chance for awhile. For most, it'll be the end.
As for assumption this event will happen just prior to the 2016 elections??? What better way to have full control of America by the Muslim n Chief that has aided and abetted the over throw of the American Constitution and the American Dream.
Gear up my friends, I truly believe this is not that far off. JMHO........

It won't be zombies due to infection of a virus. It'll be hungry zombies roving the cities and country side looking for those that "HAVE". Very, very real possibilities. None of us will have the fire power nor ammunition to hold off all. A few that live off the grid way back in the interior may have a chance for awhile. For most, it'll be the end.
As for assumption this event will happen just prior to the 2016 elections??? What better way to have full control of America by the Muslim n Chief that has aided and abetted the over throw of the American Constitution and the American Dream.
Gear up my friends, I truly believe this is not that far off. JMHO........
"Watch you therefore, and pray always, that you may be accounted worthy to ESCAPE ALL these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

Life Is Good! :dance3:

I do not believe any one can imagine the worse case scenario!
(Matthew 24:21)

"For then there will be great suffering, the kind that hasn't happened from the beginning of the world until now and certainly won't ever happen again".

Life Is Good! :dance3:

~ Things Are Going To Get Very Ugly, Very Soon ~

I guess the fact that people that believe in impossible concepts of supernatural characters would also believe in zombies and other such impossible absurdities, shouldn't really surprise me, but ever-time I see someone give any credibility to the concept of zombies I really fear for the future of society when so much stupidity exists.

This reminds me of an older thread... pretty sure this is more recycled nonsense. Ok, so... who has the knowhow to build an EMP weap, the technological capability, and the willingness to take on this nation?
Yeah, I can't think of anyone either.

This reminds me of an older thread... pretty sure this is more recycled nonsense. Ok, so... who has the knowhow to build an EMP weap, the technological capability, and the willingness to take on this nation?
Yeah, I can't think of anyone either.

Every nuclear weapon is an EMP weapon. If detonated high enough where the blast effects are not a major issue, it is primarily an EMP weapon.

Every nuclear weapon is an EMP weapon. If detonated high enough where the blast effects are not a major issue, it is primarily an EMP weapon.

Ok. So, who has nukes and is willing to use them against us? Also, if an advisory has nuclear weapons, and is willing to deploy them against us, why does it make sense to gimp their nuclear strike against us? Does anyone think we'll go easier on someone who "only" EMPs us? This whole premise of EMP being a credible threat makes no sense to me.

Ok. So, who has nukes and is willing to use them against us? Also, if an advisory has nuclear weapons, and is willing to deploy them against us, why does it make sense to gimp their nuclear strike against us? Does anyone think we'll go easier on someone who "only" EMPs us? This whole premise of EMP being a credible threat makes no sense to me.

Do we really know? Are all the nukes of the former USSR accounted for?

Then there is China, NK, India, Pakistan and Russia.

But a more likely threat and equally effective (or worse) disruption of electronics and power could also come from a hacker on a decently powerful laptop anywhere on the planet. Food gone in a few days, water from taps gone in hours, sewage and sanitation failures and spread of disease as a result.

Do we really know? Are all the nukes of the former USSR accounted for?

Then there is China, NK, India, Pakistan and Russia.

But a more likely threat and equally effective (or worse) disruption of electronics and power could also come from a hacker on a decently powerful laptop anywhere on the planet. Food gone in a few days, water from taps gone in hours, sewage and sanitation failures and spread of disease as a result.

Yes, we know. It's really a very small group of people that can store, transport, and especially deploy nuclear weapons. We may as well talk about a Martian invasion next.

Nukes aren't the only way the grid could be affected. Here's a link to Empact America, which has a lot of goof information on the EMP threat. Home - EMPact America

Their executives include a dairy farmer and a veterans advocate. They include in their list of advisors a novelist. Only one of their advisors sounds like he knows anything about electricity. Before we push the panic button maybe we ought to hear from actual scientists and engineers.

. Before we push the panic button maybe we ought to hear from actual scientists and engineers.
Didn't that same group state that the World was flat? Or that same "panic button" that should have been pressed prior to 9-11 or prior to Pearl Harbor? That same button?

Threats are real, the big 4;
hackers
EMP
solar flare (we don't even know what the sun is capable of, we have only been concerned (observing/measuring) about its ability to disrupt our power system for less than a century out of it billions of years existence.)
grid failure, where a critical component fails and the failure cascades across the country (has happened before, likely will happen again)

It has been estimated that should America be hit with a powerful nuclear EMP attack that 90% of the people would be dead within 90 days.

Didn't that same group state that the World was flat? Or that same "panic button" that should have been pressed prior to 9-11 or prior to Pearl Harbor? That same button?

Okay, so then you trust dairy farmers more than scientists and engineers for technological issues?

Threats are real, the big 4;
hackers
EMP
solar flare (we don't even know what the sun is capable of, we have only been concerned (observing/measuring) about its ability to disrupt our power system for less than a century out of it billions of years existence.)
grid failure, where a critical component fails and the failure cascades across the country (has happened before, likely will happen again)

Right, okay... but with thousands upon thousands of actual engineers, actual scientists, professionals who actually have the education, training, and experience to actually do something about any of those sort of things... are you going to rely on the above dairy farmer to fix things? The internet is great but... holy moley does it make people think they are suddenly experts. I bet Wikipedia already solved all these issues anyway.

Also, I see that your wandering away from OPs actual topic. The EMP threat. Who can really pull that off? I mean, come on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back