Carrying Options - I just can't find the right one!!

Janster

Greetings Ladies...

I'm not necessarily new to the carrying thing - although, I haven't carried on a regular basis simply because I haven't found an ideal method for the life I live.

I have a Bodyguard currently but am planning to get a P938 here soon. I have a CC purse which I don't (and haven't) used (GTM-0028 if anyone is interested, I'd sell it). I'd rather carry on-body. A couple years ago, I've done a lot of research of my options.... and just haven't found the ideal carry.

I have a Remora which I appendix carry in my travels to-from work (right handed). For this application, it needs to be a quick and easy removal and install (so to speak). But...for everything else, where I can put it on and leave it there for extended periods.... I've thought about appendix, side, back...etc. My mid section is somewhat small (it seems anyway) that there's not enough room to cleanly draw from the side (I wear Mommy jeans). I've thought about appendix cross draw but couldn't find a holster with enough cant. Maybe I just need to find something between my side & back OR straight appendix and not worry about the cant.

Has anyone ever gone to a good gun store/retailer who has a women there who can 'fit' you with something? We have a really great store locally and I've talked to one of the women already...just never to be 'fitted'.

I know...I know.. the mommy jeans..... should probably go. LOL

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Hello there! Your questions and dilemma are very common among ladies who carry. There are lots of options available, but most WILL require at least some different wardrobe choices. I teach a CC class (among others), and the ladies spend more time on this problem than most others. The wardrobe they must have for their work is the most common barrier to optimal carry, but many women have figured it out and you can too. Take a look at this site for some great ideas on CC carry options and everything else having to do with female CC. Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.

Personally, I prefer to carry openly, and live in a place where that is no problem. I do CC frequently as well, and often carry both at the same time. The best CC option I've found is a compact "fanny pack" that is especially made for CC. Link Removed

I fit my wardrobe around the gun and don't worry about it, but I'm retired and that's an option I have that some do not. CC would have been insanely difficult when I was working, especially since I lived and worked then in California.

I don't have a clue what "mommy jeans" are... but as you said, that might be a place to start. LOL

Hello there! Your questions and dilemma are very common among ladies who carry. There are lots of options available, but most WILL require at least some different wardrobe choices. I teach a CC class (among others), and the ladies spend more time on this problem than most others. The wardrobe they must have for their work is the most common barrier to optimal carry, but many women have figured it out and you can too. Take a look at this site for some great ideas on CC carry options and everything else having to do with female CC. Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.

Personally, I prefer to carry openly, and live in a place where that is no problem. I do CC frequently as well, and often carry both at the same time. The best CC option I've found is a compact "fanny pack" that is especially made for CC. Link Removed

I fit my wardrobe around the gun and don't worry about it, but I'm retired and that's an option I have that some do not. CC would have been insanely difficult when I was working, especially since I lived and worked then in California.

I don't have a clue what "mommy jeans" are... but as you said, that might be a place to start. LOL

LOL Mommy jeans....are from like the late 80's-early 90's, above the hip and at or above the waste. ;)
Mommy jeans don't leave much room to clearly draw from the side since the belt would be soooo high up on the midsection.

The work wardrobe thing isn't the issue. Let's just say...that's where the Remora & vehicle safe comes into play. For everything else..I'm all casual.

I wish there were places you could go to 'try on' certain holsters in various configurations. We have a great gun store locally, but they just don't carry everything. Probably still better to 'try on' (if possible) to see what feels better (appendix, side, back, IWB, OWB, etc). From there, its materials & comfort I'd think.

Funny you mention the 'Cornered Cat' - I have the book & have read it!! Great Book!! And a couple other books. I should read them again to refresh!

Fanny Pak? My husband would deny that he knows me...LOL

Thanks for the responses!! Once I get this new piece....I should start looking again and get myself in the habit of carrying more!!

Let me start first by saying I am a guy and an instructor. I've done a lot of research on this because most of my CCW students are women, which is awesome. My wife has had the same problem. She carries a glock 26 or a glock 42. She carries in her purse sometimes, but on her body most of the time. She found something very simple and believe it or not its a sticky holster $15 on eBay. They really do work. There is a great video on the Personal Defense Network that addresses this issue for women. The instructor in the video is Nikki Truedaux. Good luck! Carry on!

Thanks Everyone!

Picked up a P938 the other evening and was pleasantly surprised it came with an OWB holster. Probably not the best and most ideal...but I was able to carry it right out of the box just to get a feel for it.

My first priority - get some proper jeans/pants. Second Priority - a proper belt.

My husband has a large variety of holsters for his Kahr - so I tried some on just to get an idea of what they'd feel like. I think there's one OWB in particular that feels exceptionally comfortable (his favorite). I can't say for sure which brand it is, but it certainly looks similar to the Pro Carry OnDuty leather holster. But, to be honest....until I get some better pants and a proper sturdy belt, I can't make any decisions yet.

Time to do some more research!

Might want to consider a Sticky Holster. This is one of the most versatile holsters I've seen. You can stick it any where you can put Velcro. IWB, OWB, MOB, leg, thigh, cross draw, shoulder, etc.

My wife uses a belly-band. Velcro retention. She carries her S&W snubby or Ruger LC9. She's 5'7", 122 pounds. Thin muscular build. The belly-bad hides well on her small frame, provides fast access and doesn't print at all.

Thanks Everyone!

I agree, the 'sticky' holsters are great. I have a Remora which I used with the Bodyguard. It fits perfectly on the P938 and I've already started using it. I carry that at my appendix as I haven't become comfortable enough yet with my wardrobe to use it on the side.

The belly band looks nice. I think I would have to use that as Crossdraw..... That would be a great idea for certain wardrobes.....

I also need to find appropriate belt/s too!!! I'll get there...one step at a time!

I think you're on the right track with the Remora.
I'm a guy, but have a somewhat similar situation, I need "off" and then "on" for work. Pocket carry is the only real answer; I use a G42 (.380) in a DeSantis Nemesis (similar kind of holster to the Remora).
I also have a steel mini lock box bolted inside my desk at work for work time storage.

I also have a steel mini lock box bolted inside my desk at work for work time storage.

At least you can bring it into work with you - technically, I can't (aka shouldn't) have it anywhere. When I park - I lock it in the Console Vault in the truck.

If you ever want/need a lock box for your vehicle - that Console Vault is GREAT!!

Woman shoots herself while adjusting bra holster:

Woman Fatally Shoots Herself While Adjusting Bra Holster: Police | TheBlaze.com

I would bet it was not the holsters fault!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back