Best carry ammo for an LCP

casey97

Simple question, what 380 ammo do you recommended, and why?

Hornady Critical Defense, Because it runs through the LCP without a problem.
What ever you use, run a bunch of it to make sure you have no problems.

I've shot those through both my Glock 19 and 27 (9mm and 40) both shot well but steel and paper doesn't inform me about ballistics. I also shot various Corbon rounds.

Since the 380 round is smaller/slower than the other calibers I carry, I would really like to maximize the round I carry in the LCP.

Luke 11:21 When a strong man, fully armed, guards his estate, his possessions are secure.

Luke 22:36 Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.”

My ruger LCP specifies that +P should not be used. If you've ever handled one, you'll understand why. A defensive shooting instructor for a session I took recommended not using hollow points for the 380 as initial impact with heavy clothing and resultant expansion will slow the round before it has a chance to penetrate sufficiently. His recommendation was to use round nose and aim for the throat when possible.

This is my second LCP. Sold the first one because of the trigger. Saw there was a revision and bought a new one. Took the new one on her first outing Saturday. 50 for 50 on Winchester White Box and 20 for 20 on some random hollow points. The sight difference between this and my old LCP is considerable. Had to completely adjust how I shot by covering the target with the front sight. The stainless, while heavier, does not take up as much recoil as expected. Accuracy increased quickly with the last magazine going 6 shots within 6 inches from 5 yards.

Maybe another 100 rounds through it and it will be ready to carry. Should be just in time for Louisiana shorts season (late March). I know some may feel that is a bunch of rounds wasted, but unless it is a Glock I must not only ensure the gun works flawlessly, I must ensure I shoot it confidently. I don't worry as much on Glocks because they are consistent out of the box and I am fairly comfortable with my accuracy, magazine swaps, and target acquisition with every model and caliber of Glock I have picked up. I will still carry my 27 most of the time, but in the near future it may get some well deserved vacation time.

Luke 11:21 When a strong man, fully armed, guards his estate, his possessions are secure.

Luke 22:36 Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.”

This guy did extensive testing of ammo performance coming out of a short pocket 380 barrel. Here is the link (not sure if it will post) Final Results of the .380 ACP Ammo Quest | Shooting The Bull

Thanks this seems to answer pretty well. Used to carry Hornady Z-Maxx/Critical Defense in my old LCP, but I may not go back to that in this one. Thanks again.

This guy did extensive testing of ammo performance coming out of a short pocket 380 barrel. Here is the link (not sure if it will post) Final Results of the .380 ACP Ammo Quest | Shooting The Bull
I looked at his data, and something just doesn't seem right. For one, he posts lower velocities from his 2.8 inch barrel than the article he links to that did the test with a 2.5 inch barrel. I know there is variation from weapon to weapon, but the difference seems pretty excessive. Second, I need to go over his charts again, but a couple of the tests appeared to used the same bullet with a different casing, got different results that didn't seem to correlate with velocity ( I could be mistaken). At any rate, I don't think he has posted the last word on this subject.

I like the Buffalo Bore 100 gr. hard cast flat point. Many get hung up over the not over 18 inches. But in gel bullets go deeper than in real life shootings.

The 18 inches is somewhat arbitrary, but it's reasoning is sound. They want the bullet to dump most of its energy into the perp, and not have much left over in case it exits the perp and hits someone else. While it is true bullets usually penetrate deeper in gel, it is variable. And while gel is usually a good measure, people vary all over the spectrum (thick, thin, tough, fluffy, and occasionally, armored). There is simply no way to make a perfect test, but the FBI test is the best available to date.

Personally I like the Buffalo Bore 100 gr. hard cast flat point, but will admit it isn't perfect, as it tends to "tumble" in such a way that the curved edge is facing forwards, reducing the damage to the perp and badly over penetrating. How often does it do this? I don't know. The real advantage of the hard cast is to deal with a perp shooting at you from behind something like a door or bookcase. I just hope to never have to test out that over-penetration thing.

BTW: My own calculations are, in the Empire State Bldg shooting, two of the bystanders hit, were hit with bullet or bullet fragments that had over penetrated the perp. I arrived at this by simply counting the bullets fired and wounds created, so I could be wrong.

Every bullet tested beats foul language and bad breath, which is all most people are armed with.

Well just finished making my back pocket holster. Uncle Mike's #1. Cut open the bottom portion. Add black elastic. Now its a holster and mag holder. It is perfectly shaped to imprint like a wallet.

What do you think?

I don't carry a .380. I do carry an SR40C and really like Hornady Critical Duty for SD.

Hope this video helps somewhat

Yes, I carry Critical Duty +P and Corbon Power Ball in my Glock 19 (9mm) and carry Critical Duty and Carbon DPX in my Glock 27 (40).

I'm shooting Hornady Critical Defense through my Sig p238. The gun cycles everything. It was the AmmoQuest video that turned me onto the Critical Defense rounds. I like the rubber tip inside the cavity of the hollow point. I think the results showed the bullet mushroom every time through ballistic gel and denim. That was more important to me than a hollow point clogged with denim passing through the ballistic gel like a FMJ. My 2 cents.

I'm shooting Hornady Critical Defense through my Sig p238. The gun cycles everything. It was the AmmoQuest video that turned me onto the Critical Defense rounds. I like the rubber tip inside the cavity of the hollow point. I think the results showed the bullet mushroom every time through ballistic gel and denim. That was more important to me than a hollow point clogged with denim passing through the ballistic gel like a FMJ. My 2 cents.
Exactly why I prefer POWERBALL in my 380's.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back