Massachusetts CCW issues by town

it is NOT against the law... they can take as long as they see fit.... you may inquire after a certain amount of time has passed(not sure exactly what amount that time is)

Read the law! They have 40 days, after 40 you can take the PD to court, while in many cases you'll get it late your eligible to involve the courts after the 40. It was written in the law to stop exactly this guys situation!

Holden tells you to apply for a class A and not waste your time or money on less. About as easy as it can be in this state.

Holden tells you to apply for a class A and not waste your time or money on less. About as easy as it can be in this state.

Same in Westfield. When I was applying, THEY told ME they were putting me in for a Class A and not and FID. I got it in 29 days.

Read the law! They have 40 days, after 40 you can take the PD to court, while in many cases you'll get it late your eligible to involve the courts after the 40. It was written in the law to stop exactly this guys situation!

yeah... you are right, not sure what I was thinking at the time as i knew they had 40 days... had a brain cramp... all that said, they are pushing it to the limit... I have talked to a few leo's that are waiting for their renewed license... one a state cop has been waiting more than 5 months for his

How hard is it for a non resident to obtain a class A LTC in mass.?
I have a Concealed Carry Weapons and Firearms Permit Florida resident. I've read the rules but they seem vague ! 6 months wait?? Is that correct?

Just thought I'd update everyone.
Although it was relatively quick (55-60 days) for me to get my LTC-A in Wellesley, MA. My mother (also in Wellesley, MA) applied for an LTC back on August 22nd and has yet to hear anything from the town, positive or negative. She called the police office in mid november and they just told her the background checking was backlogged due to an influx in applications. Whether that's true or not...
It's still pretty ridiculous that it's been 110 days since she applied and has not heard anything back.

Check the GOAL site for detailson permits and application process

I have a Concealed Carry Weapons and Firearms Permit Florida resident. I've read the rules but they seem vague ! 6 months wait?? Is that correct?

Your best best is to check the GOAL site - Gun Owners' Action League - GOAL.org - "Protecting Your Freedom Begins Here" for information on the permitting process. They cover non-resident on this page - Link Removed - I posted it below for your reference.

The short answer to your question is "difficult - very difficult"

Massachusetts makes it very difficult for a non-resident, and does not grant any reciprocity to other state permit holders.

Both GOAL and the Mass Firearms School ( Mass Firearms School - in Holliston - near Framingham) offer courses on Mass firearms laws - if you are interested.

A non-resident permit is only good for a year (Mass General Laws Chapter 140 Section 131F), and has to be applied for (and renewed) in person. If you are lucky - the processing time takes months. (Check the GOAL site for details) Get the picture?

If you have reason to be in this area (Northeast) - better off getting NH, ME or CT non-resident. But you need to be very careful about transporting through Massachusetts - the laws are very strict (think NY and NJ).

The government up here is very anti-gun and and anti-gun owner (which is odd, considering that the Second Amendment came about from the British marching on Concord, Mass on April 19, 1775 to seize firearms. Hence, "the shot heard 'round the world." and start of the American Revolution. But no matter.)

Anti-gun owner is one form of blatant discrimination here that the liberals embrace - without a second thought, or amendment.

--------------------------------------- GOAL web page on non-resident permits et al --------------------

Non Resident License Information.

Click here for the application with instructions.

Q. Can a non-resident obtain a handgun license for use in Massachusetts?
A. Yes. Non-residents can apply for a “Temporary License to Carry Firearms” from the Firearms Records Bureau by calling (617) 660-4780.

Q. What do I need to know about the license?
A. The fee for a non-resident one- year license is $100. There are two classes:

Class A license for all firearms, rifles or shotguns;
Class B for “non- high capacity firearms” and large capacity long guns.

Certain professions, such as persons in the employ of a bank, public utility, a private detective or members of the armed services can obtain a two-year license.

Q. What does the application procedure consist of?
A. The procedure requires all applicants to make an appointment, then appear in person on the day of the appointment at the Dept. of Criminal Justice in Chelsea MA. The paperwork required includes a completed application form, a copy of your license from your home state (if your state issues them), a copy of a background check from your own state, proof of training, a set of fingerprints, and a letter from a local law enforcement official testifying in his opinion there is no problem with you obtaining the license. Once the DCJIS receives your application (be sure to fill it out correctly) and other required paperwork they will notify you to appear in Chelsea for an appointment on the day of their choosing. On that day you will be interviewed, fingerprinted etc.. but will not receive the license. That can take up to an additional 6 months. Also, note: this same process is required for renewal of same license on a yearly basis!

Q.What about a “concealed carry” license?
A. To carry a firearm (handgun) concealed and loaded, apply for a Class A, and seek one issued “for all lawful purposes.” Never use “open carry” in Massachusetts.

Q. What is meant by “all lawful purposes”?
A. In Massachusetts, licenses to carry firearms are issued for a specific purpose, and the law allows for undefined “restrictions” to be placed on its use. Carrying for a reason different from your purpose can result in a civil fine of $1,000 to $10,000. If applying for a license for “all lawful purposes,” you will be required to state, in writing, why you have “reason to fear injury to your person or property.” This could include working in high risk professions, routinely carrying large sums of money or valuable items, threats against the person, working in high-risk areas or at those times. Try to move beyond a generalized fear of crime, and be as specific as possible.

Q.When do I not need a non-resident License to Carry?
A. The only time a non-resident may bring a handgun into Massachusetts without a license is for a pistol or revolver competition – in general, provided you are a US resident and have a pistol license issued under similar conditions to Massachusetts - or if a law enforcement person on official duty. You can not come into the state to practice with your handgun without a License to Carry. See C. 140 § 131G

Massachusetts general law Chapter 140, §129C provides many exemptions from licensing requirements for non-residents coming into the state with rifles, shotguns and ammunition therefor. Briefly, these are

(1) hunters with valid nonresident hunting licenses,

(2) possession on a firing or shooting range,

(3) possession while traveling in or through the commonwealth with rifles or shotguns unloaded and enclosed in a case,

(4) possession while at a firearms show or display organized by a gun collectors club or association or

(5) carrying by nonresidents who meet the requirements for such carrying or possession in the state in which they reside.

Q.Are there any other Massachusetts rules I should be aware of?
A. The law now requires guns to be stored when not under the control of the authorized user. All guns, with the exception of primitive firearms, must be stored or kept in a “locked container” or with a “tamper resistant mechanical locking device” to prevent unauthorized use. When transporting large capacity rifles and shotguns, or handguns (if carried on a class B license) in a vehicle, they must be unloaded and locked in a trunk (or secure container).

State law also prohibits carrying guns loaded or unloaded on any school grounds without prior written permission of the board or officer in charge. It should also be noted that, Chapter 140, §123 generally prohibits Massachusetts firearms dealers from selling ammunition to non-residents.

More information;
Chapter 140: Section 131G Carrying of firearms by non-residents; conditions

Chapter 140: Section 129C Application of sec. 129B; ownership or possession of firearms or ammunition; transfers; report to executive director; exemptions; exhibiting license to carry, etc. on demand

Click here for a downloadable PDF with this information

Getting an LTC-A is easy. Getting an UNRESTRICTED LTC-A can be hit or miss. The typically situation is the first year being restricted to Target & Hunting, the having the restrictions removed on renewal. But many also get an unrestricted permit on the first go around, depends on your "reason". Residents can simply live in a "green" town and just apply for and get their permit. Non-Residents deal directly with the state so you never know.

In my experience, the towns along the South Coast are usually pretty decent. In my hometown, Swansea, the old Deputy Chief gave me my first permit for self protection back in 1986. My occupation on that permit was " student". I still have that original. I briefly lived in Fall River and the detective there couldn't have been nicer. He even stated that it was my constitutional right. I now live in Dighton. All of the police officers were easy to work with, courteous and professional. The officer who renewed mine apologized up front for how long it was going to take and explained that it was a problem at D.P.S. I met four other residents that day who were getting their permits renewed. They told me they had always been treated respectfully. After hearing horror stories from other parts of the state, I count myself as very lucky.

Thanks to all and USA carry.....although I had a LTC years ago 70,71,72,73,74.....had to go to the police station in Weymouth ,got interviewed by a lt. Detective and deputy chief,I let the LTC expire ! Now I have a CCP from the state of Florida ,of which I am a resident, mass does not recognize it! So I need to apply for an out of state LTC.....do not want to break any laws! Went to a local office of GOAL(gun owners action league) ,for some help....they said I needed to get a copy of my background check,a completed fingerprint card,a letter from my county sheriff describing my good moral character,a copy of my gun safety and proficiency certificate,a passport sized photo,a copy of my current Florida permit,and a completed Mass application form,plus $100.00. Then go in person to the DOJ in Chelsea ,ma in person to submit all of this!!Then .....wait until they call me ,or notify me ,to come back for an interview! They said it may take up to six months !!! All of this for a one year permit,the do it all over again,to renew it!!!

Thanks to all and USA carry.....although I had a LTC years ago 70,71,72,73,74.....had to go to the police station in Weymouth ,got interviewed by a lt. Detective and deputy chief,I let the LTC expire ! Now I have a CCP from the state of Florida ,of which I am a resident, mass does not recognize it! So I need to apply for an out of state LTC.....do not want to break any laws! Went to a local office of GOAL(gun owners action league) ,for some help....they said I needed to get a copy of my background check,a completed fingerprint card,a letter from my county sheriff describing my good moral character,a copy of my gun safety and proficiency certificate,a passport sized photo,a copy of my current Florida permit,and a completed Mass application form,plus $100.00. Then go in person to the DOJ in Chelsea ,ma in person to submit all of this!!Then .....wait until they call me ,or notify me ,to come back for an interview! They said it may take up to six months !!! All of this for a one year permit,the do it all over again,to renew it!!!

GOAL FAILS once again! This is why I'm no longer a member.

You Do NOT need a letter from your Sherrif, that's only for VT Residents and people living in US Territories. Your FL Permit will suffice.
You do NOT need to get yourself fingerprinted, the wonderful people in Chelsea will do that for you.
You do NOT need to do your own background check, again the FRB will do that.
You do NOT need to get a passport photo, again the FRB will take your picture
You do NOT need to hand deliver it to the FRB in Chelsea!

Yo DO need to provide a firearm safety (NRA) certificate from a MA State Police Instructor though!

You MAIL everything in to the FRB and they will contact you for your "interview" when you go for it you will be fingerprinted and have your pic taken. When they have nothing better to do, your LTC will be mailed to you.

All the instructions are in the application
Link Removed

Recently received my Class A LTC from Southbridge MA. Had no issues and was fairly quick about it. Detective did prefer ink fingerprints over LiveScan though.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back