Showing state ID and Conceal Permit.

Sean Anderson

Howdy,

Would like to know how you present yourself as carrying and showing ID and permit when dealing with Police. Don't want any arguments, just please state your method and point of view. Thank you!

That's the law in NC, when interacting with a LEO on an official capacity, inform you have a CHP, and where the gun is, then if requested show state issued ID and CHP. It's not debatable, it is the law.

Best practice is to inform, even when you are unarmed, because especially with traffic stops, they already know you are a CHP holder, if the vehicle is registered to you. They learn this when they run the tag through NCIC before pulling you over.

No requirement to notify in NY so we recommend not saying anything unless specifically asked or asked to step out of the vehicle. CCW info isn't connected to the DMV.

The only times I have been stoped is at a DUI checkpoints in my home state on NC (required to inform). I just hand my permit along with my drivers licence, then let LEO handle if from there.

In Kansas if the LEO asks for it you are required to show it. HOWEVER your DL and CC have the same number. So if stopped I just hand over both to the LEO and have not had any problems in the four times I have been involved in stops. (Twice for accidents one I was a witness and one I was on the receiving end. Once for a burned out running light and once for speeding. Every time the LEOs were great.

I automatically would do that if I was carrying and got pulled over. I'm 55 and have never had a speeding ticket, so I don't get pulled over. As a courtesy to law enforcement, it's only right that they know you are armed. If I'm not carrying, there's no reason. The officer will know already if you have a CHL in Texas!

Not required in Virginia but I tell them so there are no surprises that could turn ugly......Cops have been very professional and appreciatte that I have told them I am packing.

I carry my driver license and CPL (Concealed Pistol License) in clear Bi-fold case along with my auto registration and insurance. Everything is in one place so that I am not having to reach into my pockets more than once. I don't want to get shot you know. In MI your are required to inform LE that you CC. I have had to present ID to both uniformed and plain clothed officer's with out any problem. As a matter of fact, when I presented my ID the plain clothed officer presented his ID so that everybody knew everybody. So far, I have had only one problem presenting ID. We call the police to help with renter's being put out and wanting to reenter the building. A female officer (about a minute tall) shows up and I present my ID. She says "get that out of my face" and the only thing that I am trying to do is identify the good guys form the bad. When she finally see's what is going on she come back with " Sir, I see and understand what you were doing". Considering how small she was; I think that she now understand that it is a good ideal to have the armed good guys on your side.

Well,in Michigan you're required to show the police if they request them.

Actually, in MI you are REQUIRED to produce them in any encounter with law enforcement, not just if they request them:

An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately disclose to the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle. Link Removed

I haven't been stopped by police since getting my CPL, but whether carrying or not I will hand over both my license and CPL and advise them whether I am carrying or not.

If you're stopped by being lit up. I would suggest having DL & CWP in hand with your hands on the top of the wheel of your vehicle upon approach of the LEO. Verbally notify the LEO you have a CWP and are or are not CC. NC requires notification by Law. If this would happen at a DUI check point and your the first car to the LEO, I would again verbally notify and ask LEO how he would like to proceed.

Howdy,

Would like to know how you present yourself as carrying and showing ID and permit when dealing with Police. Don't want any arguments, just please state your method and point of view. Thank you!

If you are required to inform officers of you firearm, then before anything happens, keep your hands on the steering wheel, let them know you are legally carrying. (Do not say the word gun or firearm). Then ask them how you would like to proceed.

If you are in a state where your papers, person, and possessions are protected under the 4th Amendment, my advice is to not say anything about your firearm. You don't say anything about that tire iron either do you? :smile:

Welcome to the forums.

Howdy,

I present myself as a free man.

Part of the way I exercise my freedoms in my state is by keeping my business to myself. The cop's business during a stop here is getting my driver's license, registration and insurance information. My business is everything else in my possession, and that's the way I keep it - as my business.

My method is don't ask, don't tell - if the cop don't ask, I don't tell.

My point of view is that the Constitution specifically acknowledges my natural right to keep and bear arms, while at the same time specifically prohibiting the government (such as cops) from infringing on that right. Permission slips, mandated notifications, using the open carrying of a firearm as the basis for an involuntary (on my part) contact, or a disturbing the peace charge etc. are all infringements on that right, so my point of view is that any state whose LE agencies and legislatures engage in such usurpations should be opposed until they get their minds right.

Permit? What's a Permit?

It's this weird system that exists in almost every other state besides yours (Vermont, for those who don't know) where free citizens actually have to ask government for permission to exercise their God-given, natural rights. As much of an oxymoron as that may sound, it gets worse....much worse. So insidious is the consistent denial of God-given rights that many people actually believe it the right thing to do to volunteer information to government (cops) even when their states, buttressed by the 4th and 5th Amendments to The Constitution, don't mandate that information to be disclosed by free men and women.

As a courtesy to law enforcement, it's only right that they know you are armed.

See what I mean Charles?

Blues

No see-no tell in MO. The CCW "endorsement" shows up when a cop runs a license. Before Iowa passed a "shall issue" concealed law, I was harassed by a city cop who seemed real upset that I refused to let him look inside my Jeep. He ran my license and saw the CCW and thought he'd nab himself an unlucky nonresident with a pistol.

First, I commend you on seeking out this information hopefully before you need it. I recommend you start by searching your state laws regarding this issue. If you plan to travel to other states while you are carrying, use the guide provided by USA Carry to see what the reciprocity law is with your state as well as their laws on CC. Then I would make a habit of announcing it to the LEO whenever and as soon as you have contact. That way you don't have to worry about not telling them when it is required. If it isn't required, they will thank you and finish with whatever the reason was for their contact with you. Now making contact doesn't mean when you see them getting their lunch at the same place as you or getting a cup of coffee wherever you get gas. That is not considered a contact. A contact is when they are asking you for information, stopping you for a traffic violation or something like that. Always be polite and don't start saying you know your rights and you don't have totell them anything. Put yourself into the LEO's shoes. How would you want to be treated? And think of the other citizens that will come after you. How you treat the LEO today could have an adverse affect on how they will treat me tomorrow.

In Minnesota we are required to carry state or federal photo ID with us in addition to the carry permit as our permits do not have photo's on them. We are not required to disclose to a LEO unless asked. Personally, I've only been pulled over once and I disclosed that I have a carry permit and that I was carrying at that time. Went fine, no issues.

First, I commend you on seeking out this information hopefully before you need it. I recommend you start by searching your state laws regarding this issue. If you plan to travel to other states while you are carrying, use the guide provided by USA Carry to see what the reciprocity law is with your state as well as their laws on CC. Then I would make a habit of announcing it to the LEO whenever and as soon as you have contact. That way you don't have to worry about not telling them when it is required. If it isn't required, they will thank you and finish with whatever the reason was for their contact with you. Now making contact doesn't mean when you see them getting their lunch at the same place as you or getting a cup of coffee wherever you get gas. That is not considered a contact. A contact is when they are asking you for information, stopping you for a traffic violation or something like that. Always be polite and don't start saying you know your rights and you don't have totell them anything. Put yourself into the LEO's shoes. How would you want to be treated? And think of the other citizens that will come after you. How you treat the LEO today could have an adverse affect on how they will treat me tomorrow.

So your 4th Amendment rights mean absolutely nothing to you. Your advice is to tuck your tail between your legs and let the LEO know that you are carrying even if that state doesn't require it? Do you let them know of the baseball bat in the back seat when you are finished with softball practice, do you let them know of the tire iron in the trunk, do you let them know of any and all objects that might be construed as a weapon? Or is it just the firearm that has this special aura about it that makes you tell any LEO that you are carrying? Why would a LEO thank you for letting him know you have one if your state doesn't require you to inform? Or is it just courtesy? Do you extend this same courtesy to everyone you encounter; the McDonald's counter person, the drive through bank teller, the convenience store clerk?

I will never understand why some are such advocates of the 2nd Amendment but will throw the 4th and 5th Amendments out the window because a LEO stopped them for a traffic violation. The firearm you are carrying has nothing to do with the reason why he stopped you, and therefore should not need to be mentioned, nor does it make anyone "safer" by bringing it up. In fact, it could make things much worse. Ask the guy in Lockport, NY who just recently volunteered his firearm up and got charged with having too many rounds in his magazine and he was the passenger!!
Link Removed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back