Securing firearm in vehicle

BUmmedic

To those who have CCW experience... IF (I know some go out of their way not to) you patronize businesses or locations which do not allow you to exercise your right on their private grounds, how do you leave your firearm in your vehicle? Do you keep a secure means in your vehicle to prevent someone from accessing your firearm? Thanks!

I open carry, does that mean I'm not qualified to answer this question?

I'll try anyways...

The only place I go that doesn't allow me to carry are very short visits, that allow me to keep an eye on my vehicle the entire time.

If I were to live in an area that had more restrictions on where I could carry, I would invest in a vehicle lock box.

The last thing you want to come back to is a smashed window and your gun gone. Use a lockbox. You may have to hunt around for one that fits your vehicle. In my case (small pickup) I found one that just fit in a cubbyhole behind the rear seat, that also has a security cable which I looped around the seat frame. Ideally it should be bolted down but it's almost not possible in a lot of vehicles. The good news is that most car burglers are smash and grabbers so if you have it locked, cabled, and stowed they probably either won't find it or won't take the time to try and rip it out if they do.

there are many lock boxes/bags that attach to a strong point on your vehicle. the object of the game is to slow down the thief, thieves need the element of speed and stealth take either of those elements from them and your things will not be as much of a juicy target

Unless it is prohibited by law, I don't pay any attention to their signs. Concealed is concealed. They will never know I have it until it is needed. If for some reason it is seen and i am asked to leave, I will....as not leaving would be armed trespassing (I think).

Don
FL CWL Holder
FFL
Lifetime NRA Member

I don't disagree with you, concealed is concealed, but every now and then a post office run is necessary. I am a little confused about that also. I was under the impression that having a firearm in your vehicle on P.O./federal property is a felony offense, but others have said that they just lock up in the car.

Parking your car on a Post Office owned lot even with a lock box is a no no. I have a car safe but will not shop anywhere that blocks carry. Usually use it when bird hunting and leaving pistol in truck. Lock box is hidden from casual view.

When I carried to work. I used a gun lock box that has a cable which I wrapped around the drivers seat frame. My dodge truck has a cubbyhole under the back seats and one on the floor in front, but I don't know how known this is amongst the criminal element.

Use a lockbox that you can secure to your car. My lockbox is attached to my car and would require more tools than the average thief carries during a quick smash and grab.

It is against Federal Firearms Law to carry a weapon onto Post Office property --- and that specifically means the parking lot. If you have it in your auto and drive onto PO Property you are in violation. I park on the street, and walk.

Autosafe by Sentry mounted inside my center console. It already withstood the efforts of a thief to crack it.

Chen open carries:neo:.....Who would have known.....

He is new, and he was specifically asking for people with ccw experience...I was just clarifying. Simmer down now.

Thanks for clearing that up....

Ps. I also use a lock box when my weapon is left in the vehicle. It's rare but it happens from time to time.

My 2013 Ford Escape has a hidden storage area on the floor of the back seat. Well advertised though and difficult to reach from the driver's seat - have to get out of the car to access it. So put a pommel bag over the console and tuck my junker Kel-Tec PF9 in there and leave it. Its my "car gun." If I'm not carrying already I can take it with me when I want. If its work where I can't carry I leave it and going on the hope that I've not had a car break in ever in 50 years of car ownership. No place to run a cable through a seat thingie in this car either. Also keep a .22LR NAA mouse gun in the drop down sunglasses holder over the rear view mirror. Not much, but something. And easy to toss in my pocket when I leave the car.

Chen open carries:neo:.....Who would have known.....

He is new, and he was specifically asking for people with ccw experience...I was just clarifying. Simmer down now.

Thanks for clearing that up....

Ps. I also use a lock box when my weapon is left in the vehicle. It's rare but it happens from time to time.

Your welcome....

Just a note that some states, SC included, require the storage of a firearm in a separate and locked area of vehicle--ie: console, glove compartment, trunk, unless you are CC, in which case, as long as firearm is on your person, you can CC in car. Obviously, once firearm is not on you it must be locked in separate area of vehicle--cubby hole, under seat, makeshift whatever hiding etal is illegal, lockbox is.

Conceled is concealed. The only place I wont carry is the court house or the post office. And I have only been to those places once in the last couple years.

I have a console vault in my 2011 Dodge Ram truck console that I feel pretty good about it plus the Viper 2 way alarm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back