Ccw charge

In NV we're required to be in possession of a valid CCW anytime we're carrying concealed. I take that to mean I have to have my CCW on my person whenever I'm carrying. I also take it to mean I'm not in compliance without it and fully expect to have an unwanted encounter with the local LEO.

A big part about the privilege of carrying a concealed weapon is that you remain in compliance with the law. What's unfair about that? If you're carrying and the law says that you must also be in possession of your CCW whenever you're doing it, to not have it means simply that you're not a law abiding citizen at that particular moment. How serious the cop takes it is probably discretionary, but you signed the papers, you can't claim you didn't know and "oops" has never been a valid defense.

I'm sorry to sound so high handed here but I'm of the opinion that every one of those minor misdemeanors or whenever someone accidentally shoots an innocent bystander, or outright murders someone, (like that pharmacist did), it's another bullet for gun control wackos to use in the fight to take our guns away. The privilege of carrying a concealed weapon also comes with the responsibility to not make a mistake with it. Fortunately, your experience was about as minor of an offense as your state has, but that doesn't relieve you of the responsibility to obey the law.

MI CPL holder here. We were told in class to treat your CPL in the same manner as you would your driver license. Carry it with you all the time. If you get pulled over while driving you are going to need to present your drivers license and in addition your are required to reveal that your a cpl holder rather quickly. May as well have them in your wallet together. You may just get off with a warning. I can't say for OH but, I believe in MI that there is a schedule of violations. The first time may just be a warning, the second time a fine and after that fines increase up to the point where they will take your cpl. Good luck

A big part about the privilege of carrying a concealed weapon is that you remain in compliance with the law.

Yep, it sucks that gun control laws only affect law abiding citizens and have no effect on criminals - other than to make their lives easier by disarming more victims.

The ONLY time I do not have my lisence with me is if I am on my own property. If I decide to leave my property I always have my wallet w/driver and chl with me.Texas reply

Minnesota is the same, you have to have your permit and a valid drivers license on you at all times while you are carrying. Sorry OP but you done goofed.

Correct to a degree, in MN you should always carry your permit, if you do not you will receive a citation for a petty misdemeanor, however, the citation must be dismissed if you bring your permit to court or to the office of the arresting officer. So long as the permit was valid at the time of the alleged violation.

So yes you may run into a slight issue but you won't be laying up at night or posting on the web that you are worried about it.

If you haven't picked one up, get a copy of Minnesota Permit To Carry A Firearm Fundamentals. It is a FANTASTIC book and outlines everything you need to know, including cards to carry with you in the event you use your weapon and even a great lawyer contact. I'd highly recommend it!

A big part about the privilege of carrying a concealed weapon is that you remain in compliance with the law.

I do not consider my right to carry a privilege. The second amendment guarantees it as a right. Having said that, I do always carry the paper the state of Indiana issued to me that says it's OK with them that I carry.

From what I learned in my CCW class, if you have your gun on you, your permit should always be in your wallet. Its like driving a car with our your drivers license. Good luck, you will probably get a stearn warning.

Hello,

I was in an incident last week that I will not go public with until my trial is over, however I was charged with Ccw. I am a valid Ohio Ccw permit holder, however I did not have my permit on me during my arrest but once my name was ran it showed that I did have a valid permit??? was it right or wrong for the officer to charge me with Ccw?
Most states that issue permits require the permit be with you when carrying the gun at a minimum. If caught with a gun you can be charged with an illegal possession count. In my experience these are usually dismissed in the interest of justice. In NYS the illegal possession charge would be dropped but the issueing authority may want to discuss the administrative violation with you. In NYS the judge may temporarily suspend the permit to teach a lesson. Good luck. i think you'll be OK. Just make sure your attorney approaches the charge as I described.

Sorry Miles... in Washington, you must be in possession of your permit when carrying. Same as when driving, you must have that license on you or risk being cited.

One possible defense: how/where you carrying? I can't tell all how or if ORC defines "concealed." Or was this a vehicle violation?

If you were carrying in an OWB holster, I'd try to make case that it wasn't concealed.

I expect cops to know and obey the law.

I have EXACTLY the same expectation of people with CHLs.

If you're supposed to have your CHL and another form of ID when carrying, that's what you should do.

I adhere to the strict interpretation and conduct of the law when it comes to my CHL; I always have it with me. And I consider it reflects badly on all concealed carriers when a law is violated by a concealed carrier whatever state they're in.
Sorry, no soup for you.

Hello,

I was in an incident last week that I will not go public with until my trial is over, however I was charged with Ccw. I am a valid Ohio Ccw permit holder, however I did not have my permit on me during my arrest but once my name was ran it showed that I did have a valid permit??? was it right or wrong for the officer to charge me with Ccw?

I have to say, you start off by saying that you are not going to go public with the incident, then you start a discussion about it! Then you admit to not having your permit on you and want US to tell you if the officer was right to cite you. Don't you know the law pertaining to this? If not, you are not what I would consider a conscientious carrier and you need to educate yourself-and not by asking unknown persons on an internet forum! I'm sure I come across as harsh but you are supposed to know this stuff.

I do not consider my right to carry a privilege. The second amendment guarantees it as a right. Having said that, I do always carry the paper the state of Indiana issued to me that says it's OK with them that I carry.
You have a right to carry a gun. You have a privilege to carry it concealed. Just because the 2nd Amendment gives you the right to keep and bear arms, it doesn't mean that state and local governments don't have a right to add restrictions.

Additionally, I don't think that the right to own a gun necessarily means there shouldn't be some restrictions attached. For example, while I don't support mandatory registration of every gun, I don't know how to reconcile that with proactively preventing people who aren't supposed to have one from getting one. Maybe rather than something on a drivers license saying we have a CCW, maybe we should put something on it that flags the person as being a convicted felon. A law abiding citizen should have their right to privacy respected, but a convicted felon shouldn't necessarily be entitled to that right, at least as far as possessing a weapon is concerned.

You have a right to carry a gun. You have a privilege to carry it concealed. Just because the 2nd Amendment gives you the right to keep and bear arms, it doesn't mean that state and local governments don't have a right to add restrictions.

I most sincerely doubt the founding fathers had any intentions that restrictions could or would be added by the states, counties or cities. My guess is that they would even have allowed a convicted felon to posses a gun once he had served his time for the crime committed.

I always have my CCW license in my wallet along with my drivers license. Maybe it will be a good rule to have it like that. In that way you know you always have it. CCW and drivers license, don't leave home without it!!

I most sincerely doubt the founding fathers had any intentions that restrictions could or would be added by the states, counties or cities. My guess is that they would even have allowed a convicted felon to posses a gun once he had served his time for the crime committed.
Well you would be wrong.

The Tenth Amendment
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
There are also several Supreme Court rulings, including the recent rulings on Heller (or McDonald, I can't remember which), affirming the local right to regulate just about everything Except ownership in the home and the right of self defense. As much as we all want to see the laws enforced and keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, we can only do that through local, state, county, city, laws. Granted, there are a lot of gun laws on the books that we all want to go away, but we're still regulated by local laws.

Yep, it sucks that gun control laws only affect law abiding citizens and have no effect on criminals - other than to make their lives easier by disarming more victims.

So, the laws suck because BGs get to rob banks and we don't? OR, if the good guys don't follow the rules, why should we? Having a little trouble with the logic here. Nobody said OP couldn't carry a gun, he just didn't obey the law and carry his permit/license. I have my TN DL and HCP in a small leather bifold along with my two medical cards (Retired Military ID and Medicare card) in short essential ID. I even carry the case in my house. If I am not in my PJs or skivvies, I have all important ID on me.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back