Manufactured Ammo

HunterLee

HunterLee
I have a question for everyone / anyone who might have knowledge of "Manufactured Ammo". I have noticed that a lot of "Store-Bought" ammo lately has "Red Dyed" Primers in them. Is this just a Manufacturer's "visual" aid, to advertise that particular manufacturer?, Is the Bullet manufacturer doing it for some safety purpose? Is it a new "Aid" (the red dye might have a sealant) to further the life of the ammo? Or what? Has anyone seen these bullets?I would think that most everyone would have to have noticed this (if they buy ammo). Any Ideas?

I see this in Golden Sabre bullets. I think it is to seal the primers to the cartridge case, in effect waterproofing. Ensuring dry powder to prevent duds when you would most need a dependable round.

My wife just read this and informed me that fingernail polish hasn't been $.50 a bottle in decades. Oh well....

That's true, but I don't use it because of price. In my experience (40yrs) fingernail polish is the best thing I've used to seal any primer. Regardless of time or conditions, I've never had a round fail to shoot after sealing with it.

That's true, but I don't use it because of price. In my experience (40yrs) fingernail polish is the best thing I've used to seal any primer. Regardless of time or conditions, I've never had a round fail to shoot after sealing with it.

Does your wife get all :angry: when she finds half of her bottle of polish gone after each reloading session?

More commonly referred to as fingernail polish.

Ok, not to sound ignorant (or paranoid); after more than 100 years of creating ammo (and the last 20 -30 years of new cartridges, calibers, loads, and the technology that created (and/or corrected and/or modified) some of them; why only now are they starting to use "RED" sealer on the primer end of the cartridge. I am sure that sealer has been (is being) used (consistently) on most ammo. Why all of a sudden start using "RED" dyed sealer? It makes reading the info on the ammo just a tiny little bit more difficult (not easier); that alone should make someone question the reason ammo manufacturers "suddenly" start placing "Red" Dyed sealer on their cartridges. Reading this, I sound like a paranoid (even to myself); it's just that (to me), there is no logic in it.

Ok, not to sound ignorant (or paranoid); after more than 100 years of creating ammo (and the last 20 -30 years of new cartridges, calibers, loads, and the technology that created (and/or corrected and/or modified) some of them; why only now are they starting to use "RED" sealer on the primer end of the cartridge. I am sure that sealer has been (is being) used (consistently) on most ammo. Why all of a sudden start using "RED" dyed sealer? It makes reading the info on the ammo just a tiny little bit more difficult (not easier); that alone should make someone question the reason ammo manufacturers "suddenly" start placing "Red" Dyed sealer on their cartridges. Reading this, I sound like a paranoid (even to myself); it's just that (to me), there is no logic in it.

Sellier & Bellot ammo has that sealer - red that is - around the primer. I have seem some military type ammo with various colors of sealers on them, but beyond that I don't know exactly what is up with that particular color of sealer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back