Concealed carry in gun shops

ayotte50

Hello usa carry community. My first post today. I have a small gun shop in Maine (Just 4 months now) and we are wondering how some of you veterans handle the concealed carry in the gun shop. What is the proper protocol for pulling out loaded firearms in the shop or not doing so. It's a bit unnerving to me.I know there are some folks that like to show their carry piece and even discuss trading them. Gun shop owners Please give me some of your thoughts on this one, Thanx

Last edited:
ive done this many times in gun shops. they have never been unnerved by the sight of my loaded gun. common sense dictates that you make it safe as soon as it comes out, that way no one will get nervous.

Liability

Hello usa carry community. My first post today. Im Paul, my son Nick and I have a small gun shop in Maine (Just 4 months now) and we are wondering how some of you veterans handle the concealed carry in the gun shop. What is the proper protocol for pulling out loaded firearms in the shop or not doing so. It's a bit unnerving to me.I know there are some folks that like to show their carry piece and even discuss trading them. Please give me some of your thoughts on this one, Thanx

Hello Paul and Nick,

My gun shop has a sign on the door as you enter. Keep your gun concealed if your carring one that is. They also have an indoor shooting range and if you know range rules then, only loaded gun on the firing line. No where else. So unholstering and presenting a loaded weapon at the gun counter or any where else would/should be prohibited. Certain guns are very forgiving some are not when it comes to an accidental/negligent discharge. Plus barrel pointing/swiping must be considered as well. All said it just isnt safe to be waving guns around loaded. What if more than one decides to present a loaded gun for trade or a holster fit etc. It could turn into a very nerving experience. If they want to show off or trade or whatever then bring the gun into your shop cased. Even then you not sure if its loaded or not. So you and your son must constantly be wary and inspect all weapons brought in.

But pulling CCW weapons out loaded is a potential disaster that could cause injury or death to you and your son or other patrons. Murphys Law. Plus your insurance provider my not cover such practices if sued. Just avoid the whole thing and post a sign. All but the most uninitiated will understand and be more than happy to comply.

If you are talking about plain old open and concealed carry, my local gun shop prohibits any kind of firearm in the store unless it is in a case. Thats why I DONT SHOP THERE, and why some others don't. The ironic thing is that they are willing to take your money and give the concealed carry course, but you can't exercise that right here! There's two other gun shops in the area that haven't said anything when I OC there, so they get my money.

Now if you are talking about those types who just hang around shooting the bull and have to handle their guns, well, I can see how that would be concerning. It only takes one idiot handling his gun to shoot a customer and get you some bad publicity. If that happens, maybe a polite "I would rather you kept your gun in it's holster" would suffice.

I don't mind when I go shopping in a pawn shop or gun shop and the sign says I need to open the action and drop the mag before entering. If a life threatening situation happens, it's just a seconds time to slam the mag in and let the slide go.

If I had a gun shop I wouldn't be concerned with holstered guns in the store. But there's the idiot trying to find a holster for his glock "safe action" pistol that always puts a hole in the check-out counter.

Well, my experiences in this is a few times I have been holster shopping. I asked before unholstering, and was politely asked to unload it before testing in the new holster. Maybe, if you are concerned about handling of loaded firearms in your shop/business, you could post a policy on the door that states something like this:

ATTENTION! For everyones safety........Please unload any weapon that will be handled in any way while you are inside place of business. Loaded concealed weapons that stay concealed while on premises is allowed.

Congrats on the new shop!

I believe that, if loaded, a concealed handgun should stay concealed. However, as you have noted, there are lots of guys wanting to show their pieces for many different reasons.

If it were my shop, I would insist that people ask permission first, and then only remove the firearm under your direct supervision. Just seems polite to me.:biggrin:

I would post a sign that says "All concealed weapons must remain concealed. If you show me yours I'll show you mine!" and have a big picture of a gun being pointed at the reader.

The signs are a great idea and are what we have been considering. My father and I have absolutely no problem with open or concealed carry. In fact we encourage it and totally support it and practice it. The issue we have is how to handle customers that seem to need to show their loaded firearms to us in the store. We have too many customers coming in and out to assume that they ALL have common sense enough to handle a firearm properly. Truth is some of them don't. Great point about barrel waiving/pointing/swiping. The suggestions are much appreciated. Keep em coming.

Hello usa carry community. My first post today. Im Paul, my son Nick and I have a small gun shop in Maine (Just 4 months now) and we are wondering how some of you veterans handle the concealed carry in the gun shop. What is the proper protocol for pulling out loaded firearms in the shop or not doing so. It's a bit unnerving to me.I know there are some folks that like to show their carry piece and even discuss trading them. Gun shop owners Please give me some of your thoughts on this one, Thanx

If it comes out of the holster it needs to be made safe. How you want to handle that is up to you. I make it a point, as a customer, to ask the shop owner how he wants to handle it in that situation. I'm just a guest, this is his house and his rules, not mine.

I think it's only polite (not to mention safer for all concerned) that folks announce why they are pulling a gun out in a gun shop. When I worked behind the counter in a gun shop, I had one dimwit come in saying, "I got something I want you to see!!" as he stuck his hands behind his back under his coat while approaching the counter. The only reason he lived to see sundown was his girlfriend (definitely the thinker of the pair) came in, saw that my hand was under my shirt (grabbing the Hi-Power I had in the Miami Classic that day) and yelled for him to stop. He had stuck a LOADED Ruger P-85 in an Uncle Mikes snap and strap holster in the back of his pants before coming in because he was thinking about selling it and wanted to know what it was worth.

I agree with all the above. Whenever I am shopping for an accessory and need to try it on first, I always go to a salesperson and tell them first so I won't appear to be "some guy going for his gun" on the news that got capped in the local gun shop.

It's just better for everyone and personally, I would be concerned seeing someone in a gun shop I didn't know pulling a gun out or showing it off to his friend. You just never know how well they are trained and observe the gun safety rules.

I was sitting in a gun shop Tuesday, sitting around bull***ing with the locals when some dude walks in with his piece and was asking the counter person about something. He had it in his right hand, pointed across his body and all the time it was pointed at me. I felt like screaming "HEY ASSHOLE, MIND NOT POINTING YOUR GUN IN MY FACE!" I don't know if it was needing repair, unloaded, loaded, one in the pipe or whatever.

Pulling out a concealed firearm in a store is a no no. If you need to check a holster fit then bring the fire arm in in its case then ask permission to fit holsters. Pullinga loaded firearm out in a store is an accident waiting to happen. here in Maine are you located. If you're close by I will stop by and check your store out.

Last edited:
I have worked behind the counter in a gun store. I remember always watching the eyes, then the hands. Sometimes I could see stupid coming, sometimes it was a surprise.

Nothing will wake you up faster then some moron waving a pistol around like it was a candy bar.

Put up signs, sure put up all you want. Some read them, most don't.

Everyone becareful. Please.

Triple check your actions before servicing.

I'm certainly not an attorney and my reply is only my opinion based on life's observations, but it would seem to me that when the gun comes out of the holster, ALL liability would be in your hands. Since there appears to be no set gun "policy" in place and what appears to be a great number of customers in your store (based on your original posting), a "Negligent Discharge", with injury, may get the lawyers and your insurance company busy in this sue happy society we live in over this imagined incident. And guess who allowed this practice and eventual discharge to happen?

I support all gun stores that allow both open and CC carry and would like to see ALL stores apply this common sense practice, it is a dad gum gun store! But I do understand some of the reasoning behind the no-gun, no-loaded gun policies especially when they have to deal with their insurance companies demands, company costs including bonds and possibly state and city laws.

The one thing that a store has NO control over is the "Customers Level of Training". In time, their level is revealed in either their conversations, how they handle weapons you are showing them for purchase or their range activities. It may be enlightening for you and your father/son to take some time with your customers and quiz them on their firearms background and maybe a deeper communication with your insurance company and your business attorney in order to make a better informed decision as to whether you should put up a sign or not.

All the gun shops I go to have signs no loaded firearms allowed, I know this is mostly for liability concerns, if your wanting to try a holster, ask about a trade or whatever, be sure its unloaded and do it in a safe manner, before presenting it, now you and your son as shop owners are within your rights to make any rule you wish, to ensure the safety of your customers, even the idiots, I know the hoops you have had to jump thru and the cost to get your FFL, all it would take is one asshole to screw things up big time

OK, here are a few common-sense things to do as a customer:
1. If you plan to ask about trading a firearm or fitting it for a holster, etc. take it unloaded in a case and carry something else. If you don't have two carry guns shame on you. Get another. You will need another one in case you are ever involved in a shooting because the cops will probably take your piece, at least for some period of time.
2. If you are carrying at the gun store and suddenly have the urge to show your carry piece to the store clerk for whatever reason make sure you inform him first and make very deliberate movements in handling the firearm and clearing it before it ever exchanges hands.
3. Resist the urge to show your carry piece to anyone else, especially a perfect stranger. Who knows what their motivations are? I was appauled when I was in a gun store in Houston looking at holsters and another gentleman doing the same decided to pull out his pocket auto and show it to me right there. He was well-intentioned and seemed like a nice guy but it made me VERY uncomfortable. By doing so he showed me what he was carrying and where. If I decided to wait outside for him and mug him I'd know just what to watch for. Stupid.

Here Arizona, for open carry people and concealed carry people who have load firearm they must keep it in holster before you go in the Gun shop. But few Gun shop, for open carry people and concealed carry people must unload firearm before you go in the Gun shop.

If you want to trade a firearm at the Gun shop, the firearm must unload and in case container.

OK, here are a few common-sense things to do as a customer:
1. If you plan to ask about trading a firearm or fitting it for a holster, etc. take it unloaded in a case and carry something else. If you don't have two carry guns shame on you. Get another. You will need another one in case you are ever involved in a shooting because the cops will probably take your piece, at least for some period of time.
avid, Having a backup carry firearm should be the least of ones concerns if you are invovled in a situation involving use of a firearm in self-defense.:angry:

avid, Having a backup carry firearm should be the least of ones concerns if you are invovled in a situation involving use of a firearm in self-defense.:angry:

I completely diaagree. BG's have family and friends, especially if he's a gang member, and I don't want to be left empty-handed after shooting a perp.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back