Yesterday mom saw a name on Fox she thought might have been someone we knew.

S&W645

NRA Life Member
So I did a little research to see if it was. It was not. But that lead me to the person we knew's obituary. Many will not recognize the name but the person is Michael T. Barrett. Mike was a CT who served here at Homestead in the 70s under dad. Mike retired as a Senior Chief. Mike died March 14, 2013 in MI. Mike, in 1968, was on board the USS Pueblo when it was captured by the North Koreans. The ship is the only US ship that is currently commissioned that is held by an enemy and second only to the USS Constitution as oldest ship still in commission in the US Navy. Mike was awarded the Prisoner of War Medal for his time in the N. Korean prison camps. Rest In Peace Mike.

Link Removed

Michael T. Barrett Obituary: View Michael Barrett's Obituary by Kalamazoo Gazette

We still need to get OUR ship home.

RIP, Mike. They scared the hell out of me. I was a couple of weeks away from finishing basic training at Ft. Campbell, KY when the Pueblo was captured! Rumor was, half of us were automatically going to 'Nam and the rest to Korea! Neither happened of course, but you know how rumors work.

We were stationed in Japan at Kami Seya from Jan 1966 to Dec 25, 1966. If not for the emergency orders stateside, we would have been there when the Pueblo was attacked. Kami Seya is who was in touch with the ship during the attack. During the Cold War, that base lost a number of CTs. A series of fires hit the base in 1965 killing a number of men. The base also supplied personnel to NAS Atsugi for the EC-121 flights that the Navy ran against China, Russia, and the N. Koreans. One of which was shot down by the N. Koreans with a loss of 31, of which 9 were NSGA Kami Seya members. NSGA Kami Seya had operational control of this flight.

Thanks for your service as a CT A_B. Dad was stationed at the CommSta there in 1954 to 1956 and I was born on Guam in 1955. Only two times I celebrated my birthday on the correct side of the IDL and in the correct time zone was 1956 and 1966

RIP, Mike. They scared the hell out of me. I was a couple of weeks away from finishing basic training at Ft. Campbell, KY when the Pueblo was captured! Rumor was, half of us were automatically going to 'Nam and the rest to Korea! Neither happened of course, but you know how rumors work.
You got lucky there that the rumor was just an unfounded rumor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back