Write Your Senators!

Deserteagle

Everyone should be taking 10 minutes out of their lives to send emails or letters to their senators and representatives. Here is a quick one I wrote. It's time we stand up for our rights and voice our opinions.

Dear Senator Udall,

I recently saw you quoted in the news advocating reinstating a ban on firearms like the one passed in 1994. You said “I’ve come to the conclusion that military style weapons really don’t have any place in our society...We ought to reinstate the assault weapons ban that served us well for 10 years from 1994 to 2004.”

As a Colorado Native, I am very disappointed to hear my representatives advocate for taking away my rights, when I have done nothing wrong. I think the problem comes down to your lack of understanding about the United States Constitution. To give you some quick insight into what the 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution does, it grants our citizens a right to keep and bear arms in order to maintain a free society. You said that you do not think "military style assault weapons" have a place in our society, which could not be further from the truth. Ask yourself this, how would Nazi Germany have been different had the Jews been allowed to own "military style assault weapons"? Do you think that millions of innocent people would have been put into gas chambers if they had the ability to fight back against an oppressive government? The answer is obvious. Whether or not you think this is a valid point, history speaks for itself.

You also said the firearms ban of 1994 "served us well" to use your words. I'm also very disappointed that you have apparently already forgotten about the Columbine High School massacre that took place well after the firearms ban of 1994. Do you think that the children who died in Columbine High School were "served well" by that firearms ban?

It has been proven repeatedly that firearms bans do not decrease violence. In fact, the violent crime rate has been decreasing in this country as gun ownership has increased, and while "assault weapons" have been legal.

I urge you to think about these points and think more critically on the issue of gun control. I also urge you to please stop trying to take away my rights. I do not try to take away your rights. As a law abiding citizen, I am outraged to be treated like a criminal by nonsense gun control legislation.

Sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxxx

Very, very well said. I hope he will listen to you. Those who represent me in the State of Texas do not listen to me. I really do hope you will get through to Udall with your letter. I think they have some gun-grabbers who open their mail, and suspect they'll get rid of those letters they don't like, before the reps get to see them.

Great LTR, have sent similar a few weeks ago to my own here in NC. Reach out and let them know not only who votes for them but reiterate what the Constitution stands for. THE PEOPLE, not those that are elected to office. Along those same lines, ensure they understand that they SERVE US not their own ego driven agendas. Again, great LTR.

I would encourage you to write those Dem's that are against our Constitution, as opposed to just your representative, as well. A vote is a vote and that is what they care about.

Thanks to all of you for the positive feedback. I'm new to the idea of writing my representatives but it's pretty easy and hopefully more people will do it too. We need to voice our opinions.

Great LTR, have sent similar a few weeks ago to my own here in NC. Reach out and let them know not only who votes for them but reiterate what the Constitution stands for. THE PEOPLE, not those that are elected to office. Along those same lines, ensure they understand that they SERVE US not their own ego driven agendas. Again, great LTR.

Good ideas, I will definitely incorporate that into future letters.

I have been e-mailing AND calling both of my senators and my representative since this mess began. May I also suggest to all that can afford it that you send an emergency contribution to the NRA-ILA whether you are a member or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back