Would you teach a new gun owner to do a press check?

Warbirds

So I was cleaning up after doing some shooting with my AR and some pistols and I started listening to another guy that had brought some neighbors to the range to educate them about pistols. He covered the basic keep your finger off, keep it pointed downrange stc, but then he starts into explaining how to do a press check to see if a pistol is loaded. He explains to do this anythime they are handed a pistol to verify if it is loaded. He also tells them to forcefully pull the slide closed to make sure it is seated properly.

During the wifes first try, sure enough she sweeps the palm of her hand.

I don't press check and I have never taught anyone to press check. Whats y'alls opinion?

He was teaching them on a Sig Misquito and a Glock 19.

I've had instructors tell me to do press checks but in my opinion they are pointless and will increase your risk of the gun malfunctioning.

I recommend just putting a round in the chamber and letting the gun do its job. I guarantee you that bullet wont walk away from the chamber so there is no need to make sure its still there.

Glocks also have a loaded chamber indicator if your memory is that bad anyway.

If anyone does love press checks, they may as well take apart their gun and make sure the firing pin and other parts are still in there too. Those parts have a tendency to walk away when you turn your back...

Press checks are taught as a means of verifying a round in the chamber by some instructors/law enforcement agencies. I personally believe they're of limited utility, but you can be taught to do it safely. For me, in a fight (or imminent fight), if I'm ever in doubt as to whether there is a round in the chamber I'm just going to rack the slide. I don't have to take my eyes off the threat to do that.

Hi Warbirds...to each their own I suppose...personally, it is useless for me...I guarantee that there is one in the chamber and I will bet my life on it...I do not need to check...for me, it is an over-manipulation of the firearm...I'm just sayin'...

He explains to do this anythime they are handed a pistol to verify if it is loaded. He also tells them to forcefully pull the slide closed to make sure it is seated properly.

He obviously misunderstands the purpose of a press check. When you are handed a pistol, you don't verify that it is loaded by doing a press check. You verify it is UNLOADED by locking the slide open, observing an empty magazine well and empty chamber. Then, when you are ready to shoot you load the gun by inserting a magazine, and RELEASING the slide. For everyday shooting there is no need to do the press check.

When I load my carry, I personally do a press check to ensure the extractor has properly engaged the rim of the round and the round is being extracted from the chamber properly. My gun is also very easy to verify it is in full battery after the press check by observing that the back of the slide is flush with top of the back strap.

Sure, I will show a new shooter what a press check is and what it is for....but I would not teach it as part of routine gun handling and certainly not the false information that was alluded to in the OP.

There's always a round in my chamber, with the safety off. There's no point in carrying any other way, so a press check isn't necessary as far as I'm concerned. No point in carrying around an unloaded gun. I didn't even know it was called a press check until I saw this thread.

Hmmm, been around guns all my life, never heard the term press check. Someone one to educate me on that one?

A press check is the act of opening the action just enough to verify that there is a round in the chamber. You can find YouTube videos demonstrating various methods. You can also find sites that explain the pros and cons. I am not a believer in doing them. I think they are dangerous for those that are unfamiliar with gun safety. Once I load my gun I know it is loaded, if I need to check I will teach the chamber and if needed put the ejected round back in the magazine.

If anyone cares to visit urbandictionary.com there is an alternative definition there.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I keep any & all firearms loaded (+1) if they are for SD/HD use. I do have one or two older guns that do not have chamber indicators. They usually stay in my safe fully loaded. But, I must admit on occasion, I will take them out to check them.

-

I have two sons that I am teaching gun safety to and one of the four rules is that the gun is always loaded. Even after we have unloaded a weapon we still treat it as if it is unloaded. If it is for safety then it seems like a pointless action. If there is a situation where you need to know if there is a bullet in the chamber then this action will take too long and require you to look down so simply racking the slide will ensure you are ready to fire.

Good discussion. I don't remember if I was taught or just picked it up after reading or watching a youtube vid, but after it became 'standard practice' to take a look I at some point not long after decided that because I knew what was chambered there was no longer a need and have not done a press check for a long time.

Learning to do a press check is not hard, but for a new gun owner maybe just get something like the Ruger SR9c which has a loaded chamber indicator...it is also an excellent handgun.

:triniti:

I see them doing press checks all the time on TV. adds to the drama. just like the guys and gals the rack the slide right before a shoot out. :smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back