Would You Advise Someone To Open Carry In Detroit?

Action Impact, in Southfield, MI, where I took my CPL class, has their instructors say open carry is a tactical disadvantage. The claim is that someone who OC's automatically has a target on their back and will be the first one shot should a "situation" manifest. I didn't know any better back then (February of 2013 was the class). So I just took the word of the instructor who was really nice, knowledgeable, and involved the class in all types discussions regarding laws, safety, etc.. Great instructor! However, I'm really starting to question that ideology -- so much so that I think it's a myth.

Why would open carry be a "tactical disadvantage?" While concealed, if you have to pull back your coat, shirt or whatever just to reach your weapon, you're at more of a tactical disadvantage than OC'ing (because nothing is in the way). In Detroit, a person OC'ing might even be looked at as someone not to trifle with. Just my $.02

AC

Action Impact, in Southfield, MI, where I took my CPL class, has their instructors say open carry is a tactical disadvantage. The claim is that someone who OC's automatically has a target on their back and will be the first one shot should a "situation" manifest. I didn't know any better back then (February of 2013 was the class). So I just took the word of the instructor who was really nice, knowledgeable, and involved the class in all types discussions regarding laws, safety, etc.. Great instructor! However, I'm really starting to question that ideology -- so much so that I think it's a myth.

Why would open carry be a "tactical disadvantage?" While concealed, if you have to pull back your coat, shirt or whatever just to reach your weapon, you're at more of a tactical disadvantage than OC'ing (because nothing is in the way). In Detroit, a person OC'ing might even be looked at as someone not to trifle with. Just my $.02

AC
You've got that right, a myth.
Makes us wounder what else that instructor got wrong doesn't it. ???

Lat year a friend of mine with a CHL was a a diner. There was a guy there with his weapon in plain sight, while my buddy carried concealed. A whackjob came into the diner, saw the guy with his weapon out and immediately shot him, my buddy was able to pull and put the shooter down! So tell me there is an advantage to open carry. You may as well put a bullseye on your forehead. The tactical advantage comes from the shooter not knowing if or whom is armed. The 1st person they're gonna' take out is the one they know is armed. I've practiced enough that I can just about match the speed of an open carry shooter...but I have an advantage, the shooter doesn't know I'm about to blow his **** away! I have living proof of it. That instructor is right on the money!

Lat year a friend of mine with a CHL was a a diner. There was a guy there with his weapon in plain sight, while my buddy carried concealed. A whackjob came into the diner, saw the guy with his weapon out and immediately shot him, my buddy was able to pull and put the shooter down! So tell me there is an advantage to open carry. You may as well put a bullseye on your forehead. The tactical advantage comes from the shooter not knowing if or whom is armed. The 1st person they're gonna' take out is the one they know is armed. I've practiced enough that I can just about match the speed of an open carry shooter...but I have an advantage, the shooter doesn't know I'm about to blow his **** away! I have living proof of it. That instructor is right on the money!

One time in band camp...There was a concealed carrier, who got robbed four times within two hours because he looked unarmed, the rest of us were open carrying and none of us got robbed.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Put up a link to this news story.:rolleyes:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back