With a permit, can the managers/owner carry a concealed firearm?

With a permit, can the managers/owner carry a concealed firearm.

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hunter13d

I own a restaurant in Maury County Tennessee. We do serve alcohol and have a sign posted that prohibits customers from carrying firearms into the business. My question is about me, and my managers. Are we/they allowed, with their concealed carry permit, to bring their firearm into the business? My main concern is for my nightly closers. Some nights the closing manager may be walking out of the building with up to $5,000 to take to the banks nightly deposit box. So in a business that sells alcohol, and has a posted notice prohibiting firearms, can the managers/owner carry a personal firearm?

I own a business

My question is why won't you allow law abiding permit holders to carry yet you want to know if yourself and employees can? The answer is yes but you kinda sound like Nanci P. don't want anyone else to protect themselves but its ok for you. Just sayin.

In accordance with Tennessee law, if you have posted that no firearms are allowed, it pertains to the employees of the establishment, as well.

Sounds like a double standard to me. Whats the name of the business? I'll make sure to spread the word that you don't want our money.

I agree anyone that doesn't want customers that are licensed to conceal carry to enter their establishment I ban them and spread the word. To my friends and my customers !

Personally, I don't think of it as double standard. Patrons of a bar or establishment that sells alcohol should not be allowed to carry. I mean you shouldn't carry if your going to be drinking (just my opinion!) Employees however, who should not be drinking on the job, should be allowed to carry in case of robbery.
I'm not sure about Tn. but if your business is privately owned, it is considered private property and it is up to the owner whether or not employees are allowed to carry.
If I owned a business, all of my employees would be trained and armed.......(AGAIN, just my opinion! )

I could simply take down the sign, it was placed there many years ago. its a relatively small town and we don't exactly enforce it. But the sign quotes a law saying that weapons of any kind, including pocket knives and fire arms, are illegal to carry into an establishment that serves alcohol. And the sign may be outdated

So, with that said, us the sign outdated? Or does that law still apply? Is it a federal law, or state? I will be able to quote the sign word for word tomorrow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using USA Carry mobile app

Yes, that particular sign IS outdated. I suggest you remove it. Because of the recent changes in Tennessee's firearms laws, it is legal to carry in a bar, BUT one still cannot drink, while carrying! Businesses that prohibit carrying must post a recent copy of the law, which states that the owner, specifically, prohibits carrying; or post the firearm inside the slashed circle, symbol. I personally suggest you just take the sign down. Truth is, your business would be much safer, if you have armed law abiding patrons, frequenting your place do business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Link Removed

That particular sign IS outdated. Recent changes to Tennesse laws require businesses to post a sign specifically stating that firearms are prohibited, by displaying a copy of the law, or the typical firearm inside the slashed circle. Tennessee law now permits legally armed citizens, to carry even in bars, as well as restaurants, that serve alcohol; however, they CANNOT drink alcohol, while carrying. I suggest you simply remove the sign. Your business would be much safer, if you have legally armed, law abiding patrons.

Personally, I don't think of it as double standard. Patrons of a bar or establishment that sells alcohol should not be allowed to carry. I mean you shouldn't carry if your going to be drinking (just my opinion!) Employees however, who should not be drinking on the job, should be allowed to carry in case of robbery.
I'm not sure about Tn. but if your business is privately owned, it is considered private property and it is up to the owner whether or not employees are allowed to carry.
If I owned a business, all of my employees would be trained and armed.......(AGAIN, just my opinion! )

So because I want to have a drink when I get home I can't carry my firearm in public? I see no harm in having my weapon on me while I stop at the store to buy a 6 pack or whatever it may be to take home where I can then store my gun securely.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using USA Carry mobile app

This is a restaurant not a bar. Not everyone goes in to drink. I do not believe that I should have to give up my right just because they sell alcohol, most states have a law when it comes to being intoxicated and carry (which most is .08 like driving)

If I am carrying and go out to a restaurant I never drink. However, if I am met at the door with a sign that prohibits me from entering then I politely leave to never return until the policy changes. It's their business and their right and it's my right not to trade my money for their food. Life's to short to be mad at everything I don't like. I like food at home better anyway.

I could simply take down the sign, it was placed there many years ago. its a relatively small town and we don't exactly enforce it. But the sign quotes a law saying that weapons of any kind, including pocket knives and fire arms, are illegal to carry into an establishment that serves alcohol. And the sign may be outdated

Sounds like to me you are talking about the signs that "used" to be required under Title 57 of the T.C.A. stating it was a Misdemeanor to carry a weapon that serves or sells alcohol. If so, the law requiring those signs has been repealed for a while, but ABC inspectors have been bad about not telling places to remove them and in some early cases even saying they were still required. But for the record those signs never prevented carried, they only warned of the consequences of carry in a such a place when it was still illegal for everyone.

Now only a sign that conforms to T.C.A. 39-17-1359 legally forbids carry in a place that serves or sells alcohol.

Okay, thank you for the replies, i will simply remove the sign. And do plan on get my conceal carry. Thanks again guys. a

If I am carrying and go out to a restaurant I never drink. However, if I am met at the door with a sign that prohibits me from entering then I politely leave to never return until the policy changes. It's their business and their right and it's my right not to trade my money for their food. Life's to short to be mad at everything I don't like. I like food at home better anyway.

EXACTLY!
Plus its illegal to consume alcohol and carry. The law says nothing about a legal limit and carrying

EXACTLY!
Plus its illegal to consume alcohol and carry. The law says nothing about a legal limit and carrying

That is not correct.

It is illegal to be "under the influence" of alcohol and carry.

The only time it is illegal to "consume" and and carry is if you are within the confines of a building open to the public that serves alcohol for onsite consumption.

The fact that the laws mentions consumption and under the influence separately and and that there is an additional punishment if you under the influence as opposed to just consuming means they are two different things.

39-17-1321. Possession of handgun while under influence -- Penalty.

(a) Notwithstanding whether a person has a permit issued pursuant to § 39-17-1315 or § 39-17-1351, it is an offense for a person to possess a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance or controlled substance analogue.

(b) It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm if the person is both:

(1) Within the confines of an establishment open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverages, as defined in § 57-3-101(a)(1)(A), or beer, as defined in § 57-6-102(1), are served for consumption on the premises; and

(2) Consuming any alcoholic beverage listed in subdivision (b)(1).

(c) (1) A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(2) In addition to the punishment authorized by subdivision (c)(1), if the violation is of subsection (a), occurs in an establishment described in subdivision (b)(1), and the person has a handgun permit issued pursuant to § 39-17-1351, such permit shall be suspended in accordance with § 39-17-1352 for a period of three (3) years.

I agree a business owner should have a choice to allow or disallow customers to carry in their establishment. It's their right to do so. Of course they may potentially lose customers.

You can carry at restaurants, bars, so on but can't consume any alcohol? Seems pretty simple.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back