Winchester Model 1885, H K Wineland barrel.

W.D.Murray

Hello all,

I picked up a Winchester Model 1885 Low Wall. At some time along the way some one made it into a custom .22 with a bull barrel stamped H K Wineland. I have looked for any referance to this man in the gun world and have not fond any info on them. Can anyone help me out with some info?

Thanks Bill,

Bill, I picked up your post from a search engine so I am a first time reader/poster. H.K.Wineland's first name was Hugh, don't know his middle name. He was a gunsmith from N.W. Ohio, Williams County to be exact. He was somewhat of a local legend and his barrels and guns were quite sought after. I never had the opportunity to meet him, but do have a rifle with one of his barrels on it. As I understand it, since your gun has his name on it, that means he did all the work on the gun, possibly even the stock. If he didn't do all the work, " barrel, chamber,action, and stock/bedding work then he didn't stamp it. He had his own barrel lathe, so to my knowledge he did not puchase barrels, although that may not always have been the case. His son did some limited work after his passing but not to the extent of Hugh. Take a magnifying glass and look carefully at the W in Wineland, every one that I ever seen had a little bit of a wiggle on one of the legs of the W. Have a good time with it,I'll bet its accurate. Hope this helps, if you ever want to sell it, advertise it in the N.W. Ohio area and you'll have plenty of calls,

Thanks for the info. The gun shoots awesome, @ 100 yds with six shots I had four tens and two nines. The two nines were my fault I rushed the shots. Not bad for standing, if I shoot it off of the bench I bet I'll have one jagged hole in the target. It's too bad that there is not more info available about the talented gunsmiths such as Hugh Wineland. These people were true craftsmen that produced high quality and very accurate rifles and pistols.

Hugh was my grandfather and Im happy to ready the comments above. If anyone has any of his guns they are willing to sell, please let me know.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back