Wife's first CARRY gun

9MarineMike

My wife recently got her LTC and having gone through all of the associated challenges of firearm & carry options myself, I find that I’m not as much help to her as I had hoped.
Her challenges are compounded by her desire for a heavier gun to control recoil (she's comfortable shooting .38 Special in a full size/all steel .357 revolver, but not on my J-frame). Though she can handle a compact 9MM, she believes (and I agree) it would be smarter to carry a revolver, as she has 'limp-wristed' autos in the past and may be inclined to do so in an anxiety filled moment.
What I would love to find for her is a 9MM revolver, with moon rings, that could be 'down-loaded' to .380. Enough ballistic power to protect herself at close range, with the reliability of a revolver.
Another thought is the Ruger SP-101 or S&W 632 in .327 'downloaded' to .32 H&R Magnum Thoughts?

It's her carry weapon, let her decide. She the one that has to be comfortable. Semper Fi

Oh, it's definately going to be her choice...................I've learned that over the years :eek:)
She's asked for my assitance once she realized how heavy her Ruger GP-100 .357 (loaded with .38 spec) 'nightstand gun' was in her pocketbook!
Semper Fi

The SP101 with 2-inch barrel would be a very nice concealed-carry revolver. It combines durability, dependability and reduced recoil, which sounds like is what she wants. But having said that, have her try a Ruger LCR firing 38 Special. It is easy to carry and surprisingly easy to fire given its relatively small size. Good luck!

Something that is not cheap, but weighted just right and capable of .357s and tames down just right with 38+p is S&W 3" Chief's Special with full under lug & adjustable sights.... but, you're looking at around $650~700 new.... 24oz and all stainless... the sighting radius is really nice, and pointability of this piece is superb.

Ruger has one similar with the 3" barrel (SP101) at 27oz with fixed channel sight for smoother draw at around $580~620 new.

The 3" barrels do give you a bit more pop for your buck and again a much better sighting radius.

Finally, a guy who gets it! My husband found that me buying a gun was suspiciously like me buying shoes. Never have enough.
Seriously, thank you for thinking about her safety and helping her to achieve it.

I agree that you should let her decide. I checked out several "small guns" before I decided on the Sig P238 (.380) I absolutely LOVE this gun. very easy to conceal, slide pulls very easy ( ok so I am getting old and my hands do not have the strength that they used to) I could pull the slid on other guns but this one is awesome!

If you are looking for a small revolver with power, you won't find an easier shooting one than the Chiappa Rhino. The barrel being aligned with the bottom chamber makes a world of difference.

You mentioned that she noticed how heavy her gun was in her pocketbook. While it is her choice how to carry, and I applaud her decision to do so, she may want to think a bit more on carrying in a purse. A BG will normally try to take a purse off of a woman... if this is where her protection is, then she will be struggling with it with the BG. It's generally a safer choice to carry on one's person.

I also have to echo Amada Jacobs-Daily's post... the Sig P238 is one heck of a gun. When my wife chose this for herself, I fell in love with it and use it as my back up gun. However, as you have mentioned, it is your wife's decision. Go to a range or dealer that rents guns and shoot some of the firearms that fit her grip well and are the weight she likes. Even if two firearms have the same weight, that weight can be distributed very differently and therefore feel dissimilar.

Thanks wolf-fire. She has already researched all of the on body options and settled on pocketbook carry, and she has already decided upon a revolver (like I said earlier "it's definately going to be her choice") and living in Massachusetts the finding "a range or dealer that rents guns and shoot some of the firearms that fit her grip" option you mentioned are not available to us............though an excellent idea.
Also, I'm quite sure the Chiappa Rhino, that wbk mentioned, is not Mass Approved (if you're not from MA you may not be aware that we have our own very unique firearm restrictions.....@#$%), and again, I think another excellent idea. Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back