Why Are So Many Non-Law Enforcement Agencies Seeking Firearms And Ammunition?

mojoman

I don't know if anybody have heard but I think that we might be in storage again.

The United States Postal Service has released an acquisition notice for ammunition manufacturing contracts. The posting first appeared on the U.S. government’s official contractor registration website on January 31th, leaving concerned Americans wondering why yet another non-law enforcement government agency is stockpiling ammo.

According to FBO.gov, the United States Postal Service intends to solicit proposals for assorted small arms ammunition. They are requesting that organizations wishing to participate register with the site to receive further information regarding proposals.

The USPS published the request two days after Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) announced his plan to remove gun bans preventing law abiding concealed carry permit holders from carrying handguns inside post offices. The Republican Senator’s legislation appears to be gaining much support and momentum.

Some believe that Paul’s pro-gun legislation may have led to the post offices request as part of what some consider an arms race between the U.S. Government and its constitutionally minded citizens.

Many government agencies have been purchasing ammo over the past year, including the 2 billion rounds obtained by the Department of Homeland Security. Though the postal service is the latest example, there have been many federal non-law enforcement agencies placing orders for weapons and ammo.

Shockingly, the Department of Education has spent well over $80,000 on Glock pistols and $17,000 on Remington pump shotguns. Many wonder why the Department of Education would need such an order.

The Dept. of Education explains that the Office of Inspector General is the law enforcement arm of the Dept. of Education and is responsible for detection of waste, fraud, abuse, and other criminal activity involving Federal education funds, programs, and operations. The OIG operates with full statutory law enforcement authority, which includes conducting search warrants, making arrests, and carrying firearms.

Surprisingly enough, the Office of Inspector General has conducted multiple SWAT like raids on criminal investigations related to student loans, however they suggest it is never due to late or defaulted payments.

Recently the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration purchased 72,000 Smith & Wesson .40 handgun rounds while the National Weather Service acquired 46,000 hollow point rounds.

When asked about the recent purchases, NOAA spokesman Scott Smullen claimed that the Weather Service purchase was for the Fisheries Law Enforcement Office’s target qualifications and training courses. However, his response met heavy opposition when concerned citizens pointed out that hollow point self-defense rounds are not used for target practice. The cost of a self-defense hollow point round is nearly double that of a standard ball-type target round.

Amongst the massive bulk ammo purchases by non-law enforcement agencies, our Military is suffering as much as the recreational gun owner. The U.S. Military, to include the National Guard, relies heavily on commercial ammo manufactures to support their demands.

Unfortunately, many active duty and National Guard units have fore gone their annual weapons qualifications in light of ammo shortages and budget cuts. The military has now relied on its Engagement Skill Trainer (EST), which is basically a large interactive projector screen that allows for simulated range and marksmanship training using pneumatic or air powered weapons to create realistic recoil.

Military officials are concerned that deploying troops without the proper range time and training could drastically affect the readiness of combat troops in areas such as Afghanistan.

The massive purchases have even caused shortages in smaller, less popular ammunitions such as .22 LR, traditionally used for small game and varmint hunting. As demands continue to dwarf the supply, consumers are seeking the next available caliber, some going as far as .17 HMR, which is similar to the dimensions of the common BB gun.

Even when ammunitions become available, retailers will often limit buyers to one or two boxes per person. Many gun owners have taken to reloading their own cartridges; however the Environmental Protection Agency has shut down the last of the smelting factories in the country, leaving some gun owners wondering if this too might be a way to keep ammo out of their hands.

The USPS deadline for ammunition contract proposals is February 10th and media sources will soon learn which company will be supplying the ammunition and how much is to be purchased. Concerned citizens will also be keeping a close eye on which non-law enforcement agency will be next in line for massive ammo purchases.

They are Law Enforcement Agencies.

More and more Govt. Agencies have armed Law Enforcement Units.

Funny how almost every Govt. Agency feels that they have a need to be armed but the Govt. doesn't think We the People should be armed.

I never knew that they had Postal Service cops. And I used to work in a post office. Department of Education? Only if they're planning to arm school officials and I don't think they are.

Dept. of Education has an investigative/law enforcement division that investigates education loan fraud and makes arrests (sometimes using full out assault teams).

Dept. of Education has an investigative/law enforcement division that investigates education loan fraud and makes arrests (sometimes using full out assault teams).

I guess their next move will be 4am swat raids for overdue library books.

I've seen this "panic post" on several forums that I frequent and I'm happy to say that cool heads seem to be pointing out the facts in this internet story. First, that the contract says "UP TO" a maximum, no minimum is listed.

These are all government agencies that in the past never needed weapons and ammo, but now are placing large orders for weapons and ammo. In my opinion all of these different government agencies ordering weapons and ammo just gives our government a larger stock pile to fall back on if or when needed with out the government raising any suspicion like it would if they directly ordered a huge amount of weapons and ammo.

These are all government agencies that in the past never needed weapons and ammo, but now are placing large orders for weapons and ammo. In my opinion all of these different government agencies ordering weapons and ammo just gives our government a larger stock pile to fall back on if or when needed with out the government raising any suspicion like it would if they directly ordered a huge amount of weapons and ammo.

Indeed. In the 60's when developing the SR71 large quantities of titanium were needed and the only place to buy it was the USSR. The government created shell companies to purchase the material without raising suspicions.

The way the public schools are heading all teachers will need to be trained with concealed weapons just so that kids can have a chance of making it through the day alive. Pretty crazy world.

Howdy,

Why Are So Many Non-Law Enforcement Agencies Seeking Firearms And Ammunition?

It's pretty simple.

All Gov't agencies that have regulations, rules, policies, etc. ALL have a Department that enforces these regulations, rules, policies, etc.

For some unknown reason people seem to think that it's the FBI's job to do this but it isn't.

Just to name a few of the Gov't agencies with either a LE, investigative, or enforcement Dept.:

Corp of Eng.

Forest Service

Veterans' Affairs

EPA

Dept of Labor

Nuclear Reg. Comm. ( Co-worker's son works for them. Has to fire over 3k rounds of handgun ammo per year in training and qualifying. )

That's just a few that most people do not know about.

20 years ago these agencies carried 5-shot .38 revolvers and only "qualified" once a year which mainly amounted to proving they still had their handgun and could shot it and reload it without shooting themselves. Nowadays they have to actually practice and qualify with their handgun.

This means more ammo. No big conspiracy, just things have changed.

Paul

Can You say Police State?! Armed regulation enforcement (Not Law enforcement)! These are regulations made up by some bureaucrat, not laws passed and enacted by our elected officials. Being in noncompliance of a regulation should NOT warrant a SWAT style assault and potentially deadly consequences. What happened to Government of the People, by the People, and for the People?

Me thinks a couple of boys on this thread haven't been mugged by big government which leads me to think they are muggers for big government. I can tell you with absolute certainty that when EPA muggers go to county government offices the very first thing they do is make sure the county employees know that they have enforcement power and will not hesitate to use it. When the SHTF I bet there will be a lot of discarded "enforcement powers" uniforms laying about with the former wearer wiping him or herself.

USPS Inspection Service is a law enforcement agency. And they had quite a good reputation.

There was an old saw that it was better/safer to rob a bank than a post office.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back