Why a 1911?

years ago when the glock craze started and I wanted a gun, so I looked at what most competition shooters had.
You see more 1911's than anything else.
They all cant be wrong.

1911's are great, but after owning a several, I will say they are not all alike.
Most must be cleaned often, very often.

Every one I have had, had something about it I did not like.
Simple things like sights to grips and things like the fit and finish just was not to my liking.

Even today search continues for the smoothest best 1911. I am very picky.

years ago when the glock craze started and I wanted a gun, so I looked at what most competition shooters had.
You see more 1911's than anything else.
They all cant be wrong.

1911's are great, but after owning a several, I will say they are not all alike.
Most must be cleaned often, very often.

Every one I have had, had something about it I did not like.
Simple things like sights to grips and things like the fit and finish just was not to my liking.

Even today search continues for the smoothest best 1911. I am very picky.

You've never shot or owned a Dan Wesson 1911 then. Because if you did, your search would be over.

Recoil and firing pin springs on a 5" 1911 should be replaced every 2-3,000 rounds as routine maintenance, the mainspring should be replaced every 5-7,000 rounds. Recoil springs on shorter 1911's have a shorter service life, the fewer coils a spring has the sooner it fatigues.

The 1911 is being offered by dozens of different makers at numerous price points and built to widely varying specs and levels of quality to insure a profit margin at each of these price points. If you want a QUALITY 1911 built the way 1911's are supposed to be built you need to look at guns in the $1500 and up price points.

123phlh.jpg

You've never shot or owned a Dan Wesson 1911 then. Because if you did, your search would be over.

The only complaint I have read about Dan Wesson is there is a couple thousand round break in period before they are smooth.

I am leaning toward a Nighthawk custom or maybe a Ed Brown.

The only complaint I have read about Dan Wesson is there is a couple thousand round break in period before they are smooth.

I am leaning toward a Nighthawk custom or maybe a Ed Brown.

You couldn't be more wrong with what you said about DW. I own three (Valor, V-bob and PM-9) and all three have been buttery smooth and 100% reliable from day one.

You couldn't be more wrong with what you said about DW. I own three (Valor, V-bob and PM-9) and all three have been buttery smooth and 100% reliable from day one.

I will have to keep them on my short list.

I almost feel it would be easier to build one myself. :eek:

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using Tapatalk

Nice responses here. I'm looking at a ria at the moment. But might have to shoot it and the xds side by side and see which fits the bill better for me.

Nice responses here. I'm looking at a ria at the moment. But might have to shoot it and the xds side by side and see which fits the bill better for me.

Keep in mind that you will be shooting a bottom feeder 1911 vs. a nice striker fired sub compact.

I was going to say the same thing about Wilson Combat. I just picked up a two-tone Tactical Elite and it's a supreme work of craftsmanship and art.

If you've got the $$$, you most likely won't be disappointed by a Wilson, Dan Wesson, Les Baer, or Nighthawk.

.45, because shooting twice is silly
I just love that sig!

- Dave

I love my polymer Taurus 24/7 9mm, I open carry it all the time. I think 9mm JHP is more than enough. But I just had to have a 1911 in my collection, so I broke down and bought a Metro Arms (Philippines) American Classic II yesterday for $512. For the money it is very well made, with great fitting parts. I probably won't shoot it much, and only carry it on special occasions. Another plus is that 1911's are like Jeeps, a gajillion after market accessories are available. Sure I would love to have one of the custom $2000 1911's, but for now the AC II is a great entry level 1911.

I am honestly wondering what the draw is for a 1911 pistol. I know that there is quite a following for them, so I am just curious about what makes them better than another pistol?

It's all personal preference. For me, the draw has several facets..

I like the way the 1911 platform looks
I like the way the 1911 platform shoots
I like the ergonomics of the 1911
I understand, and appreciate how the platform functions
I'm proficient in the use of the 1911

It's not for everyone... no handgun is... but it's my handgun of choice, and has been my carry gun for around 40 years. I hope everyone is as happy with their choice as I am with mine.

It's allot like like owning a Japanese motorcycle & thinking it's just as good as a Harley. There is no comparison tell you've been on one. Look at the price of 1911 it won't go down in value but the black guns can't go anywhere but down in value. So if looking to have something of value down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

I am a big fan of the 1911 here are my reasons 1.very accurate due to single action trigger 2.very reliable provided you clean and oil regularly 3.slim easy to conceal 4. 45 acp stopping power 5 history of excellent service 6. fast easy reloads 7. and just a beautiful handgun
What more can you ask for in a handgun?

Don't let the "cocked and locked" fear fool you. The reason most people carry 1911 is for safety. This is one of the safest designs on the market. I too own other brands but when the stuff hits the fan I want a 1911 in my hand.

Al is correct. Many will tell you to replace springs every so often, especially the recoil spring. This is not to say you shouldn't replace some springs occassionally, especially depending on the loads you use. I have numerous Colt 1911's that have many thousand rounds fired through them with no ill effects to the recoil springs. "Mrs. War Horse", my old LEO Duty Pistol, a 70 Series Colt Government Model' has easily had 30 to 40 thousand rounds fired through it, has only had a light re-build with springs all changed once. The recoil spring was replaced every 3 to 4 thousand rounds. because I shot alot of +P loads through it. Predominately CorBon 230 gr JHP's as my Duty Load.
I currently sit next to my Great Grandfathers old 1911 that participated in World War I Trench Warfare in Europe. I personally have put about 8 to 9 thousand rounds through it in my time, and no telling how many by my Great Grandfather put through it. It has almost no finish left on it and NO SPRINGS or parts have been replaced except for the sights. The build date on this gun was 1913. It came home in his sea bag when he came home. It has never been serviced in an armory or by a gunsmith, except to replace the sights.

BY THE WAY AL; I hope you are getting well and healing.

Not suggesting that you would ever sell it and I state that first. You know you have a true treasure. Special thanks to your grandfathers service. All war is hell WW1 was a different kind of hell. I saw a 1911 dated 1917 at the Gander Mountain asking price over 3000. All original. It was a raggedy old piece of art. I loved it. Very special!

It's allot like like owning a Japanese motorcycle & thinking it's just as good as a Harley. There is no comparison tell you've been on one. Look at the price of 1911 it won't go down in value but the black guns can't go anywhere but down in value. So if looking to have something of value down the road.

Scott you had me until the Japanese bike part. I've owned Harley's and loved them. I will put my 99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate up against any Harley for speed ride and handling. Love that bike. And now I love my new 1911. Back to 1911 talk

I am honestly wondering what the draw is for a 1911 pistol. I know that there is quite a following for them, so I am just curious about what makes them better than another pistol?
Errrr, only one modification since inception in 1911. WW1, WW2, Korean "Police Action", Vietnam, places no one will ever talk about. More confirmed kills then any other platform with a hand gun. Don't know what you're looking for but pretty much sealed it for me many years ago. Of course I also carried one while in the NAVY 1975-1987. Feel the Freedom! Make to opposition feel the lead!

All of the above is true. The 1911 is a classic firearm. But, for the sake of balance, I will add that the 1911, compared to a Glock, (let's say), is heavy, holds few rounds, is complicated to take down, and is usually quite expensive. Concerning cost, Glock is like beer; the 1911 is like wine. If I pay $8.00 for a six pack of beer, I can be sure it will be excellent. One of the best. If I pay $8.00 for a bottle of wine, I don't know whether it will be good, bad, or in between. But I'm absolutely sure it will NOT be one of the best. Likewise, if I pay $500 for a Glock, I know it will be excellent. If I pay $500 for a 1911, I can't be sure whether it will be good, bad, or in between. Nevertheless, some people LOVE wine and are willing to pay a heavy price to enjoy the best bottle of wine that they can find. I encourage them to enjoy anything that can make them happy in this world. And the 1911 seems to make a lot of people very happy.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back