Who Carries A Full Size Handgun Concealed?

I carry an XD-40 service model (4") IWB at 4 o'clock. Extra mag in my left rear pocket. I almost always wear jeans. Shoulder hoster only when I am going to be driving for a few hours or more.

Some of this depends on your size and shape. I am 6'3", 220#.

Dont remember if posted a reply on this thread before, I carry a F/S RIA .45 acp, condition 1, @ 3 oclock, plus one spare magazine on my left pocket.

It looks like the perfect project gun for me to play with. Now all I have to do is find one available!

Actually the majority of people who carry use a .380 or 9mm and many of them use the smaller ones which will fit in a pocket. Our society has become a small pistol society and .380 almost rules now. That doesn't mean people don't carry full size but they are a minority.

:dance3:

Actually the majority of people who carry use a .380 or 9mm and many of them use the smaller ones which will fit in a pocket. Our society has become a small pistol society and .380 almost rules now. That doesn't mean people don't carry full size but they are a minority.

That is very true, unfortunately. When those .380 folks are confronted with a 250lb druggie wearing a winter coat they will have about 5 seconds to wish they had something a little more deliberate.

That is very true, unfortunately. When those .380 folks are confronted with a 250lb druggie wearing a winter coat they will have about 5 seconds to wish they had something a little more deliberate.

I've heard people make this claim a lot. I certainly wouldn't want to be shot with a .380, winter coat or not. However, you do make an interesting point about if the attacker is hopped up on something. I've heard the .380 debate rage for years as to whether it has enough stopping power or not and there are people on both sides. Personally, i carry a .380 as a BUG 3 seasons out of the year (with a full-size Glock G22 as my EDC) and when wearing shorts and a T-shirt, I use my .380 as my main carry. I will never be confronted with the heavy winter coat scenario with my .380 only. But, let's say I do. Here's what I found:

Cor Bon JHP+P, 90 g, will have a velocity of 1050 fps, energy of 220 ft-lb, expansion to .58 inches and 9.0 inches of penetration.
Federal Hydraschock JHP, 90 g, 1000 fps, 200 ft-lb, .58 inches of expansion, and 10.5 inches of penetration

This information was based on using a Ruger LCP at 7 yards.

Between 9-10.5 inches of penetration and expanding over 1/2 of an inch. That's a rather decent hole one's putting into a person regardless of a winter coat. Since a lot of pocket guns are 6+1, that's 7 over 1/2 inch holes you've put into an attacker with 9-10.5 inches of penetration. I would bet my life on those numbers even if the attacker were drugged up.

Compare this to a test with a SigP229 chambered in .40. Using CCI/Speer 180g, 947 fps, 14.5" penetration, and .68" expansion. Yes, deeper and more expansion, and twice the bullet mass. So the .380 is about 4-5" less penetration and about .1" less expansion than a .40 cal. How thick is the human torso? I'm 220 lb, and 6'1". Sitting, I put a ruler against the back of my chair and measured to my front. I'm approximately 10" wide front to back. You do the math about penetration and expansion. Now, I'll always go for my .40 first, but I certainly would never waiver to go for my .380 with that data no matter who is coming at me.

:dance3:

I carry my own version of a .380, a Taurus 1911 chambered for 38 Super. Nice balance, very accurate and with the ammo I carry about 14" of penetration.

I've heard people make this claim a lot. I certainly wouldn't want to be shot with a .380, winter coat or not. However, you do make an interesting point about if the attacker is hopped up on something. I've heard the .380 debate rage for years as to whether it has enough stopping power or not and there are people on both sides. Personally, i carry a .380 as a BUG 3 seasons out of the year (with a full-size Glock G22 as my EDC) and when wearing shorts and a T-shirt, I use my .380 as my main carry. I will never be confronted with the heavy winter coat scenario with my .380 only. But, let's say I do. Here's what I found:

Cor Bon JHP+P, 90 g, will have a velocity of 1050 fps, energy of 220 ft-lb, expansion to .58 inches and 9.0 inches of penetration.
Federal Hydraschock JHP, 90 g, 1000 fps, 200 ft-lb, .58 inches of expansion, and 10.5 inches of penetration

This information was based on using a Ruger LCP at 7 yards.

Between 9-10.5 inches of penetration and expanding over 1/2 of an inch. That's a rather decent hole one's putting into a person regardless of a winter coat. Since a lot of pocket guns are 6+1, that's 7 over 1/2 inch holes you've put into an attacker with 9-10.5 inches of penetration. I would bet my life on those numbers even if the attacker were drugged up.

Compare this to a test with a SigP229 chambered in .40. Using CCI/Speer 180g, 947 fps, 14.5" penetration, and .68" expansion. Yes, deeper and more expansion, and twice the bullet mass. So the .380 is about 4-5" less penetration and about .1" less expansion than a .40 cal. How thick is the human torso? I'm 220 lb, and 6'1". Sitting, I put a ruler against the back of my chair and measured to my front. I'm approximately 10" wide front to back. You do the math about penetration and expansion. Now, I'll always go for my .40 first, but I certainly would never waiver to go for my .380 with that data no matter who is coming at me.

That's some pretty impressive research and I must admit my own is far less scientific. I have fired the .380 into lots of targets with varying results and I just don't trust it to do the job in a crisis. It has failed to penetrate a navy p-coat at 10 feet 4 out of 10 times and the ones that did penetrate barely did. The main argument I run into centers around the ease in which it can be carried and fired rather than its performance. Women seem to love the thing for it's fit, lack of recoil and concealability. These things are important but not important enough to trump performance. I don't think anything smaller than a .38 or 9mm should be used for self defense. If a 9mm is too difficult to shoot then take it to the range and practice until it gets comfortable. The .380 is little more than a fungun for plinking away at beer cans in the backyard. Why would you use a BUG with less firepower than your primary carry? I have even heard from folks who carry a .22 around arguing that caliber makes no difference at all. BTW, the "I wouldn't want to be shot with one" argument doesn't make muster. I wouldn't want to be shot with a BB gun. Does that make it a good choice for self defense?

That's some pretty impressive research and I must admit my own is far less scientific. I have fired the .380 into lots of targets with varying results and I just don't trust it to do the job in a crisis. It has failed to penetrate a navy p-coat at 10 feet 4 out of 10 times and the ones that did penetrate barely did. The main argument I run into centers around the ease in which it can be carried and fired rather than its performance. Women seem to love the thing for it's fit, lack of recoil and concealability. These things are important but not important enough to trump performance. I don't think anything smaller than a .38 or 9mm should be used for self defense. If a 9mm is too difficult to shoot then take it to the range and practice until it gets comfortable. The .380 is little more than a fungun for plinking away at beer cans in the backyard. Why would you use a BUG with less firepower than your primary carry? I have even heard from folks who carry a .22 around arguing that caliber makes no difference at all. BTW, the "I wouldn't want to be shot with one" argument doesn't make muster. I wouldn't want to be shot with a BB gun. Does that make it a good choice for self defense?

For anyone who has carried a small hand gun there are some very true statements here.
For an example I'll use the Kelteck PF9. Nice "Little Gun" but has almost uncontrolable recoil and one of the worst triggers in the business *IMHO*. One shot with that 9 may be all you get off with any accuracy in a stress situation. Forget the follow-up shots unless Luck be with you. Yes, you can stop and or kill a perp with a 380 and or a 22, but again, Luck be with you... and yes skill for those who train, train, train.
It is for this very reason that I holster my SR1911. Low recoil (Try it, you'll like it!) deadly accurate and will take a chunk outa you the size of a great dain turd.

For anyone who has carried a small hand gun there are some very true statements here.
For an example I'll use the Kelteck PF9. Nice "Little Gun" but has almost uncontrolable recoil and one of the worst triggers in the business *IMHO*. One shot with that 9 may be all you get off with any accuracy in a stress situation. Forget the follow-up shots unless Luck be with you. Yes, you can stop and or kill a perp with a 380 and or a 22, but again, Luck be with you... and yes skill for those who train, train, train.
It is for this very reason that I holster my SR1911. Low recoil (Try it, you'll like it!) deadly accurate and will take a chunk outa you the size of a great dain turd.

I've always liked the 1911 for the weight keeps the recoil down. I'd just like more ammo in a mag. Para Ordnance when I first noticed the double stack mag's that

they had, I really wanted one for sure. I'm attracted to almost anything that goes bang! But thankfully I'm large enough that I can carry one with a good belt and

holster. The SR1911 has me lusting in my heart!

I've always liked the 1911 for the weight keeps the recoil down. I'd just like more ammo in a mag. Para Ordnance when I first noticed the double stack mag's that

they had, I really wanted one for sure. I'm attracted to almost anything that goes bang! But thankfully I'm large enough that I can carry one with a good belt and

I'm big enough to carry a full sized firearm concealed, but I'm still going with the Taurus 24/7 G2 .45 compact as my primary CCW as soon as I can buy it. The same basic dimensions as the XD-S, but packs 10+1/12+1 rounds in its double stack mags.

Magazine capacity is a slight concern with the standard 1911 design. I carry an 8 round magazine and that's it. Obviously if I wanted to carry an extra magazine I could purchase any one of the many fine magazine holders. I at this point, choose not to.
I own this fine SR1911 and I still lust after it when I see pictures. It really is a beautiful gun.
Recoil is a straight back push with almost no muzzle flip. The trigger is very smooth and crisp. At what they say is 4.5 pounds (As I have not measured mine) its a light squeeze. The only trigger I have ever found to be sweeter is on the Para Carry. That one is 3.5 pounds and oh so very smooth.

Oh, and If you check YouTube Fateofdestanee is a small framed girl who carries a 1911 as her EDC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back