which disabled person qualifies?

lunar_farmer

Help me out here, i am thinking of going to class and then applying for the CCW here in our beloved Tennessee. While reading this part of the state code (section 9) and getting concerned that Tennessee does not want any disabled people to be able to defend their self.

Does being diagnosed with anxiety disqualify one from applying for a CCW?

Any details on this, and or any other disabilities one might have would be helpful

9. Shall not have been adjudicated as mental defective; has not been committed to or hospitalized in a mental institution; has not had a court appoint a conservator for the applicant by reason of a mental defect; has not been judicially determined to be disabled by reason of a mental illness, development disability or other mental incapacity; and has not, within seven (7) years from the date of application, been found by a court to pose an immediate substantial likelihood of serious harm, as defined in Title 33, Chapter 6, Part 5, because of mental illness;

All of the situations listed in your statute quote are LEGAL circumstances, not medical diagnoses. Unless you've been to a judge or judicial panel, you should qualify for CCW.

What troubled me specifically, was that i read more than once it was people who received disability checks for anything mental at all, who didnt qualify. I would love to get back to my line of work, right now i know it cant happen.

The law changed on Jan 1, 2010. Prior to that if you had ever been hospitalized for a mental illness, voluntarily or involuntarily it was a life time disqualification for a Handgun Carry Permit.

Now it says you have to adjudicated as mentally defective or judicially committed to a hospital (within the last 7 years) to be disqualified. T.C.A. 39-17-1351(c)(12)

However 39-17-1351(c)(17) does say if you are receiving social security disability benefits for alcohol dependence, drug dependence or mental disability you are disqualified from getting a HCP.

Link Removed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
playmatka
Back