Where is my Browning High Power People?

NFTATraining

FN Browning High-Power 9mm. Awesome.

The first time I fired my new BHP I thought I had a misfire. Then I looked at what used to be the "X" - and thought I could like that thing! After carrying a 1911 for a number of years the "powers that be" decreed that I had to go 9mm, so naturally I went to the BHP. A couple of years later I had a chance to buy the first BHP in .40 cal sold in this town. Last month I shot a 250x250 with it during my annual qualification. My normal duty gun is a .45 (again!), but the BHP .40 is my main alternate. Love those Browning designs!

Started out with one of the early Argentine Hi Powers that were built on FN machinery back in the mid '80's. That one was built to Belgian specs and was probably the best Hi Power I've owned. Added a two tone Browning Practical (Belgian made, assembled in Portugal, unfortunately) after they came out. I've also had a Canadian Inglis and one of the Hungarian clones as well. Presently own a FN commercial model that was made in the mid '90's and more are on the wish list.

Never been a big fan of the High-point or Hi-power.

Can't blame you on the Hi Point. You get what you pay for, after all.

The Hi Power, at least has a reputation for being reliable. It's been used by both military and police forces in over 80 countries over the last 7 decades.

I have become quite the High Power fanatic over the years. Funny story; I never really thought about getting a high power, I thought they shot great, just wasn't a fanatic at the time. I bought a high power frame and slide from a buddy of mine about 6-7 years ago, he didn't know much about it other than it was a high power and got it from an old student who was getting rid of a bunch of gun items, it was completely stripped of all the internal parts and a little banged up, but thought it would be a fun project and if I got in over my head I would just take it to the gun smith and have him finish it. The first thing I did was hit the interenet to try and find a parts kit or donor gun, I soon realized different years called for differnt types of parts, so I went to Browning's website to find a serial # list that would tell me the year of my H.P. As I looked at the list, and then looked at my high power, my serial # was missing numbers. I was thinking at the time, "What the hell? This doesn't make sense". As I did more research on the internet what I ended up finding out was I had a FN 1945 High Power made in Inglis Canada after the German Army took over the Belgium plant during WWII. After I found this out I spent the entire night reading on the history of the Browning and fell in love with the gun. Now I own a few of them. I kept the 1945 and rebuilt it to original specs and did not send the slide to be milled for an adjustable rear sight. It was really cool to me to find out what I had like that, I just thought it was a beat up old 80's Browning, lol.

I looked at one in a gun shop here in Mesa, Arizona just the other day. I believe it was just over $1200.00, bit more than I wanted to pay, and little bigger than I wanted. He also had a new Browning Hi-Power for around $900.00 plus. Almost bought that one but the Walther PPS 9mm caught my eye, and now I own it

I have had my Hi-power for 20+ years now and it is still my favorite carry semi auto. I have had several Colt 1911's over the years and have let them all go. I have turned down all offers for the high-power.

If it counts my carry gun is a subcompact Bersa Hi-Power clone. I can't shoot as often as I'd like(or as many people claim) but it has yet to jamb despite me feeding it all manner of steel-cases and reloads.

I'll admit I have particular preferences in a carry gun: DA/SA, thumb safety, and an external hammer.

I've got a Browning Hi-Power copy. The Arcus 98DAC 9mm. It takes Hi-Power mags for the most part. Fires great!!!!

For people looking for the proven design without spending too much money(budget dependent), I reccomend the Arcus 98 DA/DAC 9mm's.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back