When you carry do you have a round in the chamber?

I have had loaded weapons in my closets for over 35 years for safety reasons.
I had them up out of reach of my children when they were growing until they were old enough to take to the range and teach them about the use and safety of the weapons. for over 8 years I had one in the night stand beside the bed then in 1995, My daugther came to live with us with a grandson. He is now 6 years old andhas AHAD and is able to find anything that is somewhat under 5 -6 feet high. I have a 1911 on the left shelf and a Ruger single action pistol on the right. I spent over twen ty years in the Army working in the Armament field, so I spent a lot of time on ranges. I remeber and take it very close to heart the safety side. When I carry, I always have a round in the chamber because I know the extra time spent trying to load the gun may take my life and mine.
David

Thank you!
As a "newbie" (to the forum,Not firearms) I sometimes find it difficult to navigate the site,different forums have different search features.Sometimes it is just easier to ask the question and face the wrath of posters who feel that everyone should be an expert no matter the subject.
My question to them is How does one become an expert without questions and repetition of the answers.
I belong to a photography forum where the majority of posters feel it is beneath them to answer questions or offer constructive criticism,they feel insults and belittlement are just as good.
I have seen many beginner and students get discouraged and walk away from photography all together because of this treatment.
That is just using a camera....I would hope that we as responsible and ethical gun owners would want to keep that from happening in the firearms community.
Education is essential no matter what form it takes!

Sorry man, sometimes we have a bit of a TROLL problem around here.

Always loaded,or else the gun is unloaded and locked in case in transport mode. Aside from a visual threat, an unloaded gun is not as good as a brick for actual stopping power.

the point

With no bullet you are carrying a chunk of metal and plastic that will not stop a BG from harming you or your family... the point of having a firearm is to shoot, shooting requires bullets. I always carry red/hot/locked/chambered what ever you want to call it these days.

Always. 1 under the hammer means you don't have to draw (under pressure), acquire and check your target, figure out why your gun didn't go bang when you pulled the trigger, remember how to jack back and chamber a round, reacquire your target... get up off the floor because somewhere in between gun not going bang and remembering how to jack back and chamber the bad guy was on top of you.....you get the idea.

The only safety that works is the one between your ears. All others function based off of that one! More people have been killed by "UNLOADED" or guns with the "SAFETY ON" than anything else.

I carry a glock 22 with one in the chamber, my finger is my safety. Practice drawing and reholstering your firearm, keeping your finger on the alongside the frame and this will come natural every time you handle your firearm. As for those whom have shot them selves, what will they do when they have to confront a BG..

I carry a glock 22 with one in the chamber, my finger is my safety. Practice drawing and reholstering your firearm, keeping your finger on the alongside the frame and this will come natural every time you handle your firearm. As for those whom have shot them selves, what will they do when they have to confront a BG..

I'm new to firearms and awaiting ccl. In the meantime, I practice carrying everyday around the house or our property. When I first started learning firearms, I didn't keep one in the chamber. I thought I should build up my training and confidence. I did that. I also saw an instructional video of how little time one has to rack the slide when being attacked. I was convinced and now always have one in the chamber. (I'll try to find it and post a link). I feel it does make sense to wait until you feel confident with your firearm and all the rules of safety before doing it, but try to get there quickly because it really makes sense to have one in the chamber.

I carry chambered with both my Springfield Micro Compact and my Sig P250. The Micro Compact is cocked and locked with the thumb safety and the P250 has no safety but a looooong trigger. Both are in a good holster with the trigger covered. I also practice my draw to ensure my finger does not touch the trigger during the draw. I feel this offers me the most security.

If I am carrying my Beretta, I have it chambered with the safety on. If I am carrying my Glock, it is not chambered. I am researching aftermarket safeties for my Glock, so some day I can safely carry it chambered.

I understand, I was that way when I first got my Springfield 1911, then after some practice and range time I realized you can thumb the safety off as your unholstering very easly, so now its cocked and locked

Out of any 100 responses to this topic you will get 90 people that do carry chambered, 3 who don’t and the other 7 will be telling the 3 what idiots they are for not carrying chambered.

Bottom line, if you’re not comfortable carrying a gun w/ a round in the chamber don’t carry that gun

Lone Wolf Distributors has an excellent trigger well insert for Glocks. I use one on the rare occasions when carrying off body, in a Maxpedition Versipack. Otherwise I have a 19 with a round chambered carried securely in a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe.

I do and if you keep your finger off of the trigger and keep the gun holstered it will never fire on you. I even carry appendix with no fear do to the fact I have a holster and the only way my gun fires is if the trigger is pulled.

If I am carrying my Beretta, I have it chambered with the safety on. If I am carrying my Glock, it is not chambered. I am researching aftermarket safeties for my Glock, so some day I can safely carry it chambered.

SIDERLOCK | The Additional Safety for Glock pistols

There was a recent attempted carjacking/robbery in a Dayton, Ohio gas station. It was caught on video.

Two druggies attacked a guy while he was trying to get gas. After a brief but violent struggle, he was able to shoot one of his attackers in the stomach twice. The other attacker fled.

By his own admission, if the victim had not had a round chambered, he might well have lost his gun and his life.

If you don't have confidence in carrying with a chambered round, carry a revolver... keeping in mind that if you're negligent enough, you can shoot yourself with ANY firearm as long as there's usable ammunition around.

Obviously if you are going into a higher risk area (ATM, gas station, etc) you would want to have one in the chamber.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back