What's your take on "Medical Marijuana Users Fight for Gun Rights"

okie

Link Removed

I have one question, does Marijuana impare judgement? I'm sorry but there are other legal drugs that keep you from getting a permit, but you don't hear those people whinning about it! i'm sick of hearing about weed rights. It is my opinion that if you need Marijuana for medical reasons you are on your death bed, and don't need to be out in public toting a gun! not to mention I have seen people get med cards that don't need one. Why would a doctor perscribe a depresant for depression? I know someone that has a card for that reason. Like I said I feel that Marijuana is a last resort drug.

The sheriffs argue that the 1968 U.S. Gun Control Act prohibits selling firearms to drug addicts, and they say that includes medical marijuana card holders. Their briefs state that they cannot give a permit to carry a gun to someone prohibited from buying or owning a gun.

Isn't nicotine a drug?

I'll bet there are more places in Oregon where Cynthia Willis can't legally smoke a cigarette than there are places where she can't legally eat a mary jane cookie

So what are the big bad sheriffs doing about nicotine addicts and their guns?

Isn't nicotine a drug?

I'll bet there are more places in Oregon where Cynthia Willis can't legally smoke a cigarette than there are places where she can't legally eat a mary jane cookie

So what are the big bad sheriffs doing about nicotine addicts and their guns?
Nicotine is a legal drug found in smokes. Tobacco is legal, MJ is not under US laws. Solution is to abolish BATFE. That solves several problems at one time.

Ahhhhh, So everybody with a prescription is a drug addict? Theres a LOT of drugs that are WAY more illegal than weed (without script) that don't stop you from carrying guns. If that Sheriff wanted to play doctor he should have went to medical school instead of police academy. He can keep on enforcing the law, at let the people with medical degrees decide who the drug addicts are.

I wouldn't have a problem with just letting people maintain modest amounts for personal/recreational use and quit using LE resources to fight an un-winnable battle. I don't see marijuana use as being all that much different than booze during the Prohibition era. And we know how that turned out. This one may take another generation til the folks my age die off but it'll eventually happen when the votes are there.

Ok does Marijuana impare judgment? If your are on medication for being bi-polar you can not own, or use a gun. You don't hear the those americans bitching like little school girls on the playground yard about how their rights are being trampled! Not to mention that medical marijuana cards are just to easy to get. I know someone that has gotten onefor depression! What the hell, giving a person a depresant for depression? In my opinion that is like giveing an alcholic a shot of jack to stop the DT shakes! On the other hand it seams to me that everyone now adays thinks that if the laws says that they cant do what they want to do, it violates their rights!

I believe that simply posessing a medical marijuana card should not be enough to pull someones carry permit. However, I do feel that there are certain drugs like alcohol, narcotics, and marijuana which if overindulged in can impair judgement to the point that carrying a firearm becomes a bad idea.

The libertarian in me says that carrying under the influence should not necessarily be a crime in an of itself. But I would not be opposed to adding it as a lesser included offense for someone who actually shot somebody under the influence.

One problem is that there simply is no legal standard. The legal limit for THC in the blood is zero. Similarly If you are found with opiates in your blood without a prescription the legal limit is zero. There is simply no legal structure or laboratory testing for levels of intoxication with substances other than alcohol. Common laboratory tests measure presence but not the amount of drug metabolites. Even if the amount could be measured the results would have limited meaning without knowing patient weight, metabolism etc.

Even in the case of alcohol blood levels only tell part of the story. I have treated patients with alcohol levels that would KILL me who are walking around talking and seem relatively sober. I have treated patients for DT's who were still well beyond the legal limit for intoxication.

As a result of this, I am SURE that any prosecuting attorney who found that a concealed carry permit holder was on any psychoactive medication may be likely to press charges. Equally I am sure that carrying under the influence would have plaintiff's attorneys foaming at the mouth to sue.

Does this apply to legal psychoactive medications? Possibly, if you were taking anti-depressants, mood stabilizers, anti-psychotics or stimulants (like Ritalin, or Adderall which are amphetamines) Those are sure to be factors in any criminal or civil case.

However, simply taking those medications is not, in many states, a legal reason to deny or revoke a concealed carry permit. It should be remembered that "mental illness" and "insanity" are two separate concepts, the former is a medical term and the latter purely a legal concept. One can be voluntarily undergoing treatment for mental illness and not be legally prohibited from owning or even carrying a firearm. Only when a court gets involved and mandates treatment do gun rights become an issue.

....Similarly If you are found with opiates in your blood without a prescription the legal limit is zero. There is simply no legal structure or laboratory testing for levels of intoxication with substances other than alcohol. ....
Yep, without that little slip of paper someone taking Darvocet, Tylenol 3/4, Percocet would be up a creek. It would look like they were using Heroin or Cocaine.

I believe that simply posessing a medical marijuana card should not be enough to pull someones carry permit. However, I do feel that there are certain drugs like alcohol, narcotics, and marijuana which if overindulged in can impair judgement to the point that carrying a firearm becomes a bad idea.

The libertarian in me says that carrying under the influence should not necessarily be a crime in an of itself. But I would not be opposed to adding it as a lesser included offense for someone who actually shot somebody under the influence.

One problem is that there simply is no legal standard. The legal limit for THC in the blood is zero. Similarly If you are found with opiates in your blood without a prescription the legal limit is zero. There is simply no legal structure or laboratory testing for levels of intoxication with substances other than alcohol. Common laboratory tests measure presence but not the amount of drug metabolites. Even if the amount could be measured the results would have limited meaning without knowing patient weight, metabolism etc.

Even in the case of alcohol blood levels only tell part of the story. I have treated patients with alcohol levels that would KILL me who are walking around talking and seem relatively sober. I have treated patients for DT's who were still well beyond the legal limit for intoxication.

As a result of this, I am SURE that any prosecuting attorney who found that a concealed carry permit holder was on any psychoactive medication may be likely to press charges. Equally I am sure that carrying under the influence would have plaintiff's attorneys foaming at the mouth to sue.

Does this apply to legal psychoactive medications? Possibly, if you were taking anti-depressants, mood stabilizers, anti-psychotics or stimulants (like Ritalin, or Adderall which are amphetamines) Those are sure to be factors in any criminal or civil case.

However, simply taking those medications is not, in many states, a legal reason to deny or revoke a concealed carry permit. It should be remembered that "mental illness" and "insanity" are two separate concepts, the former is a medical term and the latter purely a legal concept. One can be voluntarily undergoing treatment for mental illness and not be legally prohibited from owning or even carrying a firearm. Only when a court gets involved and mandates treatment do gun rights become an issue.

Yes. With legalization, comes regulation, i.e. lots of extra work. I it my understanding that The Netherlands has, or had, an overabundance of marijuana that many did not want, because when they regulated it and legalized it, the "dosage" was lower than people were hoping for.

Why is MJ illegal? Or any other drug?

I will take a SWAG (Scientific wild ass guess) at it.....to give government more control over the dumb masses asses. Who cares what you put into your body if it doesn't hurt anyone else. Take their voting previledge away if they get caught commenting a crime.

Every year the History channel runs a week long series on the common illegal drugs--what they are --and why they're illegal.
No drug was made illegal for health or safety reasons. It's all politics.
The US Constitution was written on hemp paper and many of the founding fathers grew it for paper,clothe and medicinal purposes.
The timber industry and the Hearst family were big lobbyists (among others) who fought to make MJ illegal because they could make more money using trees for paper instead of hemp. BTW--you can get over 5x more paper from an acre of hemp than from an acre of trees but common sense and logic are not something often seen in politics.
MJ is classified as a drug but it is actually just an herb
MJ is not addictive
One cannot overdose on MJ that is smoked
Most of the drugs that are pushed on TV ads have way worse side effects that MJ.
Legal drugs make big bucks for drug companies and the government.
MJ --since it's illegal-- makes big bucks for illegal drug dealers. If it where legal--drug dealers would be gone and states could tax it for income.

As far as someone CCing while high on dope--I could care less.
Does it effect judgement --sure --to a degree it would but what doesn't.
A sinus headache can also effect judgement and so can a woman with big bazooms--good judgement is relative--if I'm in a really bad mood my judgement may be different than when I'm in a good mood.
Therefore --any responsible person who carries needs to be responsible for there own actions--drunk or sober--high or not high--good mood or bad

...MJ is classified as a drug but it is actually just an herb
MJ is not addictive

It alters normal biochemical function so it is, by definition a drug.

Potheads gradually lose interest in most things in life besides being stoned. While not binding to Mu receptors like opiods, or GABA receptors like benzos, potheads do become heavily dependent on staying stoned.

It obviously alters enough peoples grasp of fact and reality and makes them STUPID! They even think it is okay to pack deadly weapons, drive deadly weapons, while they are stoned stupid and unable to make good judgements!

-Doc

Last edited:
I'm thinkin poor doc got tied to a chair as a youth and watched an endless loop of refer madness. I don't know a single person who smoked enough in one night to die from MJ. I wish I could say the same for a few drunks I knew that drowned in their own puke.

Doc--a full blown stoner has got problems and he had them before he started smoking dope--a personality disorder maybe or maybe somwhat like an alcholic.
Most MJ users use it for recreation or medicinal purposes. I know plenty of professional recreational MJ smokers including some docs and they are just regular folks.
Sorry--I've been around the block a few times and do not see MJ as some dangerous drug--

Doc--a full blown stoner has got problems and he had them before he started smoking dope--a personality disorder maybe or maybe somwhat like an alcholic.
Most MJ users use it for recreation or medicinal purposes. I know plenty of professional recreational MJ smokers including some docs and they are just regular folks.
Sorry--I've been around the block a few times and do not see MJ as some dangerous drug--

I have seen a few docs who are regular stoners change their career from good physician to jailbirds. They use more and more often, and stay stoned longer and longer, and start making more and more mistakes from bad judgement.

There is good evidence from a Scandinavian study (which supports some smaller studies) that showed decrease in cognitive skills from prolonged periods of use. Not published in junk-science pot propaganda, but reputable, peer reviewed journals.

-Doc

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back