What would you have done?

This has been discussed at TTAG (Defensive Gun Use of the Day: Hey Rocky, Watch Me Pull A Rabbit Out of My Hat - Or Not - Edition | The Truth About Guns) a few days ago. The video was originally on YouTube and has been removed for violating YouTube's terms of service, whatever that means. One important piece of information that the YouTube video description mentioned was that the shooter's son was apparently behind him on another vehicle.

I would not have driven up closer to the Moose. No need to put yourself further into danger as you already are by getting closer to the animal or by running into issues with the snowmobile.

For those that argue turning around or reversing would be the right thing to do have no clue about operating snowmobiles or encountering dangerous animals.

Is is always easier to see things after the fact. I hope that I would have just turned off the machine when I first saw the moose and waited it out. Perhaps the moose would have turned around on it's own. The snowmobiler probably incited the attack by closing in the animal but you never know.

He provoked the entire incident. He should have stopped the moment he saw the moose an waited for it to move off. Instead he continued forward shortening the distance and pushed the subject. I saw plenty of outs. They could have easily gotten off the sleds and backed down the trail giving the moose even more room.
If this incident took place in Colorado he would probably be consulting a lawyer about felony charges, possible jail time, and fines. Colorado Division of Wildlife takes these matters seriously. You had better be able to prove that the attack was completely unprovoked and that you had no other option but to use your weapon.

Last thing I'd do is get off and back away from my sled.

He suppose he could have waited a bit longer. As he moved closer, I think he figured the moose would flee. Once it started to attack, time to pull the trigger. He could not reverse, or even really move off the trail. I would not have left the sled, at least he had some protection from the moose. In the end, it was an animal and humane life is more important in my opinion.

Last thing I'd do is get off and back away from my sled.

Correct. The only way to retreat/flee by foot in this situation would be by backtracking along the packed snow on the trail, otherwise you risk sinking into unpacked snow, stumbling over branches, or getting stuck. A one dimensional option for retreat/flight against a faster opponent is always bad.

Yes there could be dangers in the trail but due to that the moose was sinking into the trail I doubt you would. If you have abandoned your machine and the moose continued its attack you might convince the game warden you had no choice but to kill the moose.
I have been big game hunting for over thirty years and have encountered both bears and moose. They both are dangerous in their own right but most encounters are provoked by people not by the animal. Patience is key in these situations.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back