What type of thigh holster would you recommend

I am not sure what the exact name of this would be called- but perhaps "tactical thigh holster" is the best name for it.

I would like to get a thigh holster, (to wear over pants, obviously) - for walking around the wooded grounds at the bf's compound.

There are trails- but i walk through quite a lot of uncleared land as well (20% of the time)- so if have experience in using thigh holsters- and feel that I would encounter problems w/ bush/branches/other growth- somehow obstructing a thigh harness- please share-

I would like an alternative way to carry a pistol besides hip- which has never been my style bc. I have bony protruding hip bones. Tucking IW isn't an option bc I need to keep waist area covered due to ticks. And shoulder holster often results in "too much going on" around/near my waist- esp. bc I often sling an AR across my back.

Also- in terms of suggestions for the thigh holster- i might add- i am a small framed woman. I'm 5'3" and under 100lbs.

Some of my favorite "woods carry pistols" are: Beretta M9 and COLT 1911-22

Please take the time to look at this supplier of holsters based on the specific pistol you are going to use. The have good prices, quick delivery and good quality. I use them for my holster needs. The Holster Store: Leather Gun Holsters & Concealed Carry Holsters
They make their own holster in Florida of US materials.

I just went on the site. I was just checking out the wide array of inventory that they had- very impressive- when a chat screen popped up- about a minute in- asking if they could help me find anything. I asked about thigh holsters for non-concealed needs- and they said they did not have any. it was definitely a cool feature. saved me a lot of time.

I've never carried my thighs in a holster.

I think you mean a drop holster.

Is there some reason you need a drop holster (like you're carrying a pack or body armour) or are you just trying to be tacti-cool ?

If you are going to wear a drop leg holster be sure you can OC on the trails you walk. (I assume you've done that.)

Personally, I'd go with something more suitable for rough terrain and the elements than leather.

I like a molle type holster similar to what LEO's & military wear whenever I traverse rough terrain, water, rocks etc. I want a holster that not only keeps my firearm secure and easily accessible, I want one that will offer the best protection from damage caused by the elements.

They make a huge variety of them. Some have straps, some have flaps and some are even pouch type holsters that don't even look like holsters. So, understanding more about the local laws & the environment your gun and holster will be exposed to while out hiking should help you determine the best one for the task.

Good Luck!

-

I've never carried my thighs in a holster.

I think you mean a drop holster.

I am not sure what the exact name of this would be called-

Thanks, duly noted.

Is there some reason you need a drop holster (like you're carrying a pack or body armour)

I would like to get a thigh holster, (to wear over pants, obviously) - for walking around the wooded grounds at the bf's compound....I would like an alternative way to carry a pistol besides hip- which has never been my style bc. I have bony protruding hip bones. Tucking IW isn't an option bc I need to keep waist area covered due to ticks. And shoulder holster often results in "too much going on" around/near my waist- esp. bc I often sling an AR across my back.

or are you just trying to be tacti-cool ?

There are trails- but i walk through quite a lot of uncleared land as well (20% of the time)- so if have experience in using thigh holsters- and feel that I would encounter problems w/ bush/branches/other growth- somehow obstructing a thigh harness- please share-

Did you come up with a helpful solution- besides suggesting my need to be "tact-cool" as a possibility for one of them? My definition of being "cool" is more along the lines of when I rock some strappy Balmain stilettos and don it with an Hermes bag. But when it comes to my time in the woods- to do activities that my bf finds fun- I am looking for things that are functional- and cool can cut it- as long as it falls after functional.

If you are going to wear a drop leg holster be sure you can OC on the trails you walk. (I assume you've done that.)

Personally, I'd go with something more suitable for rough terrain and the elements than leather.

I like a molle type holster similar to what LEO's & military wear whenever I traverse rough terrain, water, rocks etc. I want a holster that not only keeps my firearm secure and easily accessible, I want one that will offer the best protection from damage caused by the elements.

They make a huge variety of them. Some have straps, some have flaps and some are even pouch type holsters that don't even look like holsters. So, understanding more about the local laws & the environment your gun and holster will be exposed to while out hiking should help you determine the best one for the task.

Good Luck!

-

Thanks!

That was very helpful- and the land i walk around- is private land- and I only spend about 8 hours out there at a time. And its mostly exploring, ATVing, and shooting (in a safe direction) & working on my project (an outdoor shooting range! fun!!) etc. while he's working on his tree stands & projects. But I do want a product that I will only need to buy once- and not need to replace- so i will definitely check out the molle- type hoisters. Now- since molle refers to the type of mounting support- I am curious and would like to pick your brain on what you think of the drop holster carrying style in terms of its functionality? I've never walked around with one in the given environment.

I actually think they lend themselves well to strenuous activity. Having a holster down low below the waist and secured close to the thigh allows for much more freedom of motion without pain or interference from equipment that may be used in certain activities. That's one reason you see them used in military & LEO situations. (A drop leg allows the gun to stay safe & secure, while keeping it out of the way & readily accessible.)

ETA- Just remember a firearm attached to the leg will see a lot more impact from motion & movement than one carried on your waist. So, upping the retention aspect of a holster carried this way is really important. (Thus, the need for a strap, a flap or even a pouch may be necessary depending on the activity you will be involved in.)

-

The reason you want a big gun in the woods is wild creatures live there. If attacked suddenly, your body will instinctively roll into a ball to protect your vital areas. Reaching a strong side hip holster or a drop holster (even worse) is not easy to get to while under animal attack.

The better choice for woods is chest carry like nutnfancy does on you tube.

A good choice is 20 round mags in a 10mm glock or 22 round mag in .40 glock.

Join The NRA To Support The 2nd Amendment & IDPA To Develop Shooting Skills

Nothing bold or underlined in my post. I am not suggesting nutnfancy one way or the other, just pointing out he wears a chest rig of a couple types.

This is mine.

Link Removed

Join The NRA To Support The 2nd Amendment & IDPA To Develop Shooting Skills

You can get an inexpensive drop leg holster that is adjustable with a thumb break on it from cheaper than dirt. Or as mentioned a shoulder holster. Either one would work. I prefer a drop leg rig to clear my jacket on those cold and rainy days. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a cheap drop leg holster to walk around in the environment in. And after which- if it turns out to be a good carrying style- (remember I also have an ar slinged either across my front or back) - then I will upgrade to a Molle mounting support- they look extremely durable, secure and well made. Thanks.

Id be happy to hear your suggestions.

I am really big on muscle memory training. I carry my gun as close to exactly the same way every time I carry it. The deviations may be IWB V. Pancake holster but that's about it. I also only carry guns with a similar manual of arms I carried a P226 for several years but I'm really liking the new M&P offerings from S&W. Based on my concealment needs I either carry a 9C or a Shield 9; neither with a manual safetey and both with the exact same trigger pull. obviously in bear country (pretty much anywhere outdoors here) I'd carry something with a little more punch to it such as a .44 Henry

I would also suggest that you ignore just about anything that comes out of nutnfancy's pie hole.

You very likely just proposed to a fake picture

I don't think the pic is fake. But, It may not be a pic of the OP.

If it is a pic of the OP, I want to let her know that she is gorgeous. But, I also would advise her to take it down off a public forum. Posting pics in "private" albums are more secure. Besides, if the OP was my daughter, I sure wouldn't want her pic out there given dirty old men the jollies; or possibly attrecting people with "stalker" type personalities.

-

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back