What to do in an "must inform" state when possessing multiple weapons?

doublebarr

This was just running through my head since I travel a lot for fun and often travel into "must inform" states (don't live in one) and wondered about what you would do and what the "legal" thing to do is.

Say you are speeding down the Interstate (10 mph over) and you get the old red and blue in the rear view mirror. So Trooper gets out, comes up to your window and you hand him you drivers license and your CC license and inform him you are carrying as per the law. Now, what if he asks you where it is, BUT.... it is not just one gun? I have one I carry IWB on myself at all times and one I carry in my purse. Once in a while I also have one stashed in the vehicle, so sometimes 3 guns. Do I only inform about the one I am carrying at that moment on myself? Or legally, do I need to inform about any other guns that may be in my vehicle/purse?

I'm thinking I only need to inform about the one on my person, but the question is there in my mind about the others, particularly the one in the purse. At that moment I am not "wearing" my purse, so I am not physically carrying it, but am I "legally" carrying it? As to the one "stashed" in the vehicle, unless he asks directly if there are any other weapons in my possession I don't see the need to inform, but is that legally correct in a Must Inform state?

If you believe you must inform of all weapons "in your possession" then post links to the state law please and thank you.

Note: This is all hinging on facts being that the only "illegal" activity that can be attributed to you is breaking the speed limit. You do not have a criminal history nor any wants or warrants and no cause for being arrested such as drinking or other.

You're mincing words.

Lawmen don't like that at all.

If a weapon is in a vehicle you are operating you are considered in possession of that weapon unless you have another passenger who owns up to it.

You're likely to be charged with lying to a Police Officer, at a minimum.

If I were required to inform, I'd tell the cop about all guns in the car. If I wasn't required, then none of them.

SC law makes no mention of this specific scenario. My gut says tell him about all of them.

In SC you have to inform if you're carrying. I agree with kerb though. i'd tell them about any and all in the vehicle.

Is this you?

A Connecticut State Police Trooper pulled over an old 1955 Cadillac for a faulty taillight. When the officer approached the car, he noticed a little old lady behind the wheel.

The police officer asked the old lady for her license, registration, and insurance cards; however, when she opened up her pockbook to retrieve those cards, to his surprise he noticed a concealed weapon carry permit.

The trooper took all the documents, looked them over and said. "Mrs. Smith, I see you have a concealed weapon permit. Do you have a gun with you?"

Very sweetly and proudly the little old lady replied, " oh, yes officer, I have a Smith & Wesson 38 caliber pistol right here in my bag. Do you wish to see it?" And before he could reply, the old lady opened her handbag under his nose and sure enough, he immediately recognized the distinctive snub barrel of a Smith & Wesson 38.

Kind of taken aback, as a matter of formality he cautiously asked her, "do you have any other guns with you?"

To which the old lady boasted, " I also have a 357 magnum in my glove compartment", opening its cover and revealing its huge barrel.

The officer, flabbergasted, found himself then asking before any further thought on his part, but not really expecting anything more: "anything else?"

To which she replied, "why, yes, I also have a 44 magnum in my console, and a Mossberg 500 12 gauge shootgun in the trunk."

As you can imagine, at this point the police officer was at a total loss as to why an old lady would have in her possession such an arsenal of weapons, so thinking she was a bit crazy, he bent over, looked her in the eyes, and asked, "Lady, may I ask you what you are afraid of?"

To which the old lady locked eyes with the officer and calmly answered, "Not a damn thing!"

I know OH's law, since I live next to OH (I'm from PA). Here's there statute and if you don't tell the officer about every firearm in the vehicle you are up the proverbial creek. Also, every person in the vehicle that has a firearm must tell the officer as well.

Transporting in Motor Vehicles
2923.16 (E) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued to the person by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code, who is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as a result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose or is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle that is stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for the purposes defined in section 5503.34 of the Revised Code, who is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle or commercial motor vehicle in any manner, shall do any of the following:
(1) Fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle;

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back