What is the correct and legal way to store a weapon and ammo in a vehicle?

PastorMCC

What is the correct and legal way to store a weapon and ammo in a vehicle when you have to obey the signs posted prohibiting concealed carry in various buildings?
Including the storage, whether loaded or unloaded;
Wether weapon and ammo could be kept in the same locked compartment such as a vehicle locked vault.
I want to be sure I have the right information to offer to others.
Thank you.

I keep my gun loaded. When in my car, I have a lock box that I store it in. When in my wife's car, I lock it in the glove box.

You can store it any way you wish as long as nobody is in the vehicle. If someone is in the vehicle, then transportation of firearms rules come into play. With a concealed carry license, a handgun can be stored in any condition. Without a license, the rules get complicated. Those rules are also about to change on March 27 because the legal definition of a loaded weapon will change. You can download a copy of the CCW guide linked in my signature for more info, but the new 3rd edition won't be linked until March 27th.

Transport laws in Ohio changed on March 27th. See the link in my signature for details.

Does anyone know of any places in ohio to get a gun safe installed in the cleveland area? Or does anyone know if they make anything specific for a type of vehicle? Im looking for a safe for a 2003 chevy avalanche. Thanks.

Does anyone know of any places in ohio to get a gun safe installed in the cleveland area? Or does anyone know if they make anything specific for a type of vehicle? Im looking for a safe for a 2003 chevy avalanche. Thanks.
A safe? Most people just get a simple lock box. It's rarely necessary to go as far as installing a safe.

Both of the items listed below would work in your application; Both found on Amazon.com.

I use one as a semi-permanent mount and the other as a (trunk type mount) since I drive a custom van that does not have a "trunk"

This is in an attempt to satisfy two things; Depending on where you drive and legally have a concealed carry permit.

one; In some cases you are supposed to store the ammo separate from the weapon;

Two; In some cases as in States where you can transport but not carry, you have to transport the weapon out of reach on anyone in the vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Link Removed $135.99.
Link Removed $39.00

What is the correct and legal way to store a weapon and ammo in a vehicle when you have to obey the signs posted prohibiting concealed carry in various buildings?
Including the storage, whether loaded or unloaded;
Wether weapon and ammo could be kept in the same locked compartment such as a vehicle locked vault.
I want to be sure I have the right information to offer to others.
Thank you.
it depends on where it is you are, the smart thing to do regardless of the law is to get some kind of safe that can be bolted to the frame of the car.

In Virginia any where and any way I feel like storing it. Again guys...we in Virginia have a doctrine that the citizens are adults and therefore do not need the state telling us how to behave responsibly.

In Virginia any where and any way I feel like storing it. Again guys...we in Virginia have a doctrine that the citizens are adults and therefore do not need the state telling us how to behave responsibly.

To JimTh, I am glad that you have that latitude, but for us in Ohio, it is better to err on the side of caution and not provoke any unnecessary confrontation with the powers that be; As you might have overlooked; This discussion was placed in the Ohio Discussion and firearms news forum, and even though we welcome all responses, regardless of where you live, we should not lose sight of the scope of the original question.

Actually Ohio doesn't specify where or how you store a firearm in your vehicle either, so they would be the same as Virginia in that regard if what JimTh says is correct. But common sense should apply no matter where you are, and storing a gun in a lackadaisical manner, even if legal, could reflect badly on you in court if something bad happens as a result of said lackadaisical method of storage. Be smart. Even if the law doesn't technically require going the extra mile, that doesn't always mean you shouldn't do it anyway.

Since you have a van there is probably room to mount something that is good quality and thick steel. A mechanical pushbutton lock will be reliable in all climate conditions that your vehicle might be in. Something like this can be mounted in any orientation you want and is 7ga (3/16") steel.

FAS1 SAFE, LLC

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back